Brink

106 replies to this topic

#26 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:43

Rather than waiting and chafing impatiently for Brink, Brenna took it upon herself to hide inside a shipment of office supplies and be delivered directly to Bethesda's headquarters. Once inside, she quickly located lead designer Neil Alphonso, and threatened him with a loaded stapler until he agreed to this interview.

games.on.net: Splash Damage are kind of required to make first person shooters, but apart from that, what was the genesis of Brink?

Neil Alphonso: We've always made the same sort of games, with the original guys from Splash Damage working on Quake Fortress as a mod for Quake. The idea for the Ark and the whole setting, that idea has been around as long as Splash Damage, but it's a tricky thing to do a new IP as a new studio, so it has taken a while. It needed Wolfenstein and Quake Wars to happen before we had the cred to do what we wanted to do.

Coming up with the ideas, honestly, was pretty easy. It's how you execute them that's important. The idea for the setting has been around for a while, with the specific components being built on what we'd done previously, what the fans wanted to see, what we felt we should put in to draw more people in. That's what we're trying to do more than anything with this game. Quake Wars was a very hardcore game really; it wasn't very accessible so people had a lot of trouble picking it up. People who loved it were able to get into all the nuances of it, but we wanted to make something a bit more accessible, that gets people in slowly, but still has that depth. Basically so it doesn't scare them with everything all at once.

games.on.net: Is it difficult to balance accessibility with the needs of your hardcore fans?

Neil Alphonso: Yes! They have these stock phrases like "dumbed down for console!" Even if it's not, that's how they tend to react and we have to deal with it. I expect to get death threats! I think in the end people just fear change in general and don't want anything different, but we want to evolve the games we make as well as the genre as a whole. We're gonna push it and hopefully in the end people will think it was worth it.

games.on.net: How is Brink "evolving the genre"?

Neil Alphonso: The SMART system is definitely something, applied to a shooter, which we feel is really special, and people that play the game a lot at the studio know we're on to something big that's different from other shooters because it's something we really miss when we pick up something else.

games.on.net: But it's a controversial feature, people don't like the idea of it - especially the hardcores...

Neil Alphonso: Because they don't understand it. I'm not really worried about it. Once people get it in their hands they'll understand how it works. People tend to have this reaction like "it's doing everything for me" when no, it's really not. You're the one that's saying where to go. We can't actually make you lift something, it's not motion control! Hmm, actually, our players would be really fit.

The other thing (we're proud of) is we have very customisable characters, so people can create their own looks. Although this has become more of a standard these days, we have advancement, so you can get more things for your characters. Our take is different on it though, we don't really let you get more powerful. That way, you really just get more versatile abilities. … it's just that you can be more creative with what you have.

And wrapping it all together in a package that, say, people who play Call of Duty and only Call of Duty will get into, but people who like the team play aspect in Battlefield as opposed to Call of Duty will like it too, because we're even more team based than that.

games.on.net: Tell us a bit more about weapon customisation.

Neil Alphonso: (For example) if you don't like using iron sights, you can set up your weapon so you don't ever use iron sights. We have a lot of people who played our games previously who didn't like (iron sights) at all. Basically we want you to be able to tune your weapons to your own particular play style. None of the attachments make you more powerful. Say you put a big drum magazine on so you don't have to reload as often, but the reloads are longer and the gun isn't quite as accurate because it's a lot heavier, and takes longer to bring out. So there's a cost and a benefit to balance.

games.on.net: Bethesda own the Brink IP rights. That's interesting'; so there's a possibility that if the studio moved onto other projects, another team could take over the series - if it becomes a series. How do you feel about it?

Neil Alphonso: Not too bad really. There's a lot of legalese in there, but I'm not worried about them respecting our wishes. I think they will. The way it'll work is that if they wanna give it someone else, they'll make sure it's a developer we trust, and that we can work with. It's not gonna be the sort of game where you can push it off on another studio and have no communication whatsoever. Honestly they would really struggle because of how complicated it is to develop this kind of game.

games.on.net: Were there any design decisions that proved contentious among the dev team? Arguments? Inclusions? Exclusions? Dramatic scenes in the office?

Neil Alphonso: There's things that we argue about like whether we should have kills and deaths displayed on the leaderboards, 'cause we're not really a game about kills and deaths ratio, but people are so used to it now. That's one we go back and forth on. Actually, I disagree with the Creative Director on that one. I kind of think we should have it just 'cause people like it so much. Some people are all about that. They'll be way down on the leaderboard but they'll go "oh well at least I had forty kills to five deaths. I'm still awesome."

Thanks very much to Neil for taking the time to answer our questions, and for giving Brenna a generous thirty-second head start to avoid security. Are you look forward to Brink, or is Splash Damage reinventing a wheel that already spins just fine the way it is? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section!
http://games.on.net/...Interview_Brink

Interview with Australian website.

Posted Image

#27 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 16:32

A look at the Weapons: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rHRyBBvOJgo

It looks and sounds really nice.

I'm really looking forward to this game, since I need a new online fps to kill the time with :likey:
Posted Image

#28 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 17:55

Oh that looks great!

So looking forward to this game, Miniguns FTW, reminds me of Timesplitters :likey:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#29 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 20 January 2011 - 17:58

That looked pretty intense, now if they quit delaying it....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 20 January 2011 - 18:40

View PostPav:3d, on 20 Jan 2011, 17:58, said:

I don't mind delays if it means a better game. There is a tendency nowadays to rush games out which then require loads of patches to become what they should have been in the first place.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 20 January 2011 - 18:45

View PostIon Cannon!, on 20 Jan 2011, 18:40, said:

View PostPav:3d, on 20 Jan 2011, 17:58, said:

I don't mind delays if it means a better game. There is a tendency nowadays to rush games out which then require loads of patches to become what they should have been in the first place.

Indeed, but announcing a game to be released on a certain date and then delaying it by not just a few days, but months, is also an annoying trend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 19:09

It looks like a direct hybrid between MW2 and Borderlands. Awesome 8| .

I just hope it has the reloads of the former instead of the latter :likey: .

It looks seriously interesting tbh, something I didn't expect to say of an FPS before the next CoD title.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 19:38

Brink looks a lot interesting than a lot of other games slated for release in the near future, but then again many of them hardly hold a candle to what it's promising. It'll be fun to see where this game goes.

That said,

View PostChyros, on 20 Jan 2011, 14:09, said:

It looks seriously interesting tbh, something I didn't expect to say of an FPS before the next CoD title.

Posted Image

Edited by Hobbesy, 20 January 2011 - 19:39.

#34 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 20:25

View PostChyros, on 20 Jan 2011, 20:09, said:

It looks like a direct hybrid between MW2 and Borderlands. Awesome :xD: .

I just hope it has the reloads of the former instead of the latter 8| .

Funny, considering how one of Borderlands most hyped features was supposed to be "no loading screens beyond starting the game". The other two were "millions of guns" and "randomized maps", only one of these made it into the game :likey:

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#35 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 20:37

View PostSquigPie, on 20 Jan 2011, 22:25, said:

View PostChyros, on 20 Jan 2011, 20:09, said:

It looks like a direct hybrid between MW2 and Borderlands. Awesome :xD: .

I just hope it has the reloads of the former instead of the latter 8| .

Funny, considering how one of Borderlands most hyped features was supposed to be "no loading screens beyond starting the game". The other two were "millions of guns" and "randomized maps", only one of these made it into the game :likey:
Even the third wasn't very true since most weapons weren't even that different at all. But still Borderlands was its own brand of awesome in a way.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:44

And still all play Diablo 2, mmo's, borderlands where the only hook is "this item has +1 of a stat that I need" :likey:

But on the topic of brink: That's a lot of nice guns 8| The game is looking more and more fun. There's gonna be alot of different tactics because of smart. Slide+shotgun to the face :xD:

#37 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:59

CoD gameplay style with Borderlands artwork. This does look very enticing :likey:
Posted Image

#38 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:06

And some mirror's edge thrown into the mix

#39 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:09

Well I was already very impressed from the get-go, but this looks like it's got something for everyone - an interesting, original art style (a refreshing change from "washed-out brown"), solid technical aspects (great sound design and visual polish), a well integrated weapons customisation system to appease the hardcore FPS players, and some inspired gameplay that actually adds a whole new level of variety and freedom.

And for Chyros: http://www.youtube.c...BBvOJgo#t=0m26s - the reload animations definitely look a like big step up from the stiff, clunky ones you'd see in Battlefield or something :likey:
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#40 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 21 January 2011 - 17:00

I've been watching this for a fail and its getting better and better :whaa:

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#41 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 18:58

Wait wait wait wait. Something about this doesn't seem right. It looks too good to be true to me :whaa:

#42 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 20:05

View PostWizard, on 21 Jan 2011, 18:58, said:

Wait wait wait wait. Something about this doesn't seem right. It looks too good to be true to me :whaa:

All they have done is create an interesting game that takes the best elements out of lots of different games and adds some cool extras, i can't see why anything will go wrong apart from... Connection issues! D: The biggest let down for me in games these days is poor netcode and connection issues. If they manage to get that right i think i will be playing this one for while.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#43 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 20:49

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 21 Jan 2011, 14:09, said:

And for Chyros: http://www.youtube.c...BBvOJgo#t=0m26s - the reload animations definitely look a like big step up from the stiff, clunky ones you'd see in Battlefield or something :P
Yeah, I saw the reload thingies, but I'm gonna hold off full judgment on them at this time. You can't see a full reload in it at all, and that makes it very hard to accurately judge them. Still, I hold hope on them, deffo :whaa: .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:27

New screens <87

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#45 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:20

Tbh, I really like the character design with the masks and stuff. Had that since the cinematic trailer <87.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:53

Excellent visuals, this pleases me <87

Looking good, moved to top of my _want_ list.

#47 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:15

TheDR: Splash damage has made 2 games before this, both multiplayer and I've never seen any problems with the netcode. They were really smooth games. If there was something wrong with the connection, it was either because of the server or your own connection.

If you want to test their earlier work, Wolfenstein enemy territory is free <87 Shame that Activision shut down the stat-servers of Enemy territory quake wars a few years ago..

Both games are similar to brink in that they are objective-based multiplayer with reinforcements coming in waves. Also you have different classes and each have their own work to do.

Edited by Wanderer, 04 February 2011 - 11:24.

#48 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:24

View PostWanderer, on 4 Feb 2011, 11:15, said:

TheDR: Splash damage has made 2 games before this, both multiplayer and I've never seen any problems with the netcode. They were really smooth games. If there was something wrong with the connection, it was either because of the server or your own connection.

Well lets hope they carry that on with Brink, i really want this game to succeed.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#49 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:27

You aren't the only one :xD: I've been looking forward to this game for some time already. I've even done something that I don't normally do and I preordered it already <87

#50 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:06

View PostTheDR, on 4 Feb 2011, 13:24, said:

View PostWanderer, on 4 Feb 2011, 11:15, said:

Well lets hope they carry that on with Brink, i really want this game to succeed.
Yes, me too - I have high hopes for this game and I want it <87 .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users