London burns

rioters run rampant

104 replies to this topic

#1 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 18:46

Apparently the riots in London have gotten worse and there have been cases of arson. Violence intensifies and spreads to yet more areas of London, where the police are being attacked by bricks the rioters got from walls they vandalise. Shops are being attacked, robbed and destroyed, ruining people's livelihoods. And strangely enough David Cameron is still abroad on holiday.

What is causing these riots, why do they erupt so violently all of a sudden, why are shops being targeted, why does it take so long to put these riots down, etc. etc. etc. Discuss.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 19:05

We have someone who deals with Interior issues already, the Home Secretary, and she has cut her holiday short. Also, where the fuck is Boris when all this is kicking off? It's his capital....

#3 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 08 August 2011 - 21:37

Its pretty scary here, this shit is popping up everywhere all over London and its been going on for a few days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 August 2011 - 21:56

As I understand it this began because police shot and killed a civilian. The first riot was a peaceful protest to begin with which turned nasty when troublemakers turned up with the intention of kicking off. The riots started when there was a confrontation between police and a teenage protester, I imagine the "gangsta" type. The people rioting are not normal ordinary londoners, they are thugs and looters, they just needed an excuse to kick off. There is also quite a large amount of people who think the police is against them in certain areas of London, which is silly, but these people don't tend to be the best educated to be honest.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:09

View PostIon Cannon!, on 08 August 2011 - 21:56, said:

As I understand it this began because police shot and killed a civilian criminal, career orientated.
Speculatively corrected.

Pav3d, best of luck mate. Hope things stay out of your way.

#6 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:43

It's spread to Birmingham. City centre has been hit hard and I'm hearing a lot of it spreading to surrounding areas. At the moment Im well out of harms way and feeling secure, but I dont know how much further this will go. It's completely upsetting what they are doing to the city I love call home though.
Posted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:46

God these bastards are pathetic, I guess it will probably spread to Manchester as well, several of my friends live near the centre or in the rougher parts of Manchester, hope they'll be okay.

I imagine the rioting will stay in the inner cities / CBD as thats where they can do most damage.

I think this also lends support to my shoot chavs on sight idea 8| As it sounds like its "disgruntled" youths doing most of the rioting.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 08 August 2011 - 22:49.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:48

I was in manchester just yesterday visiting a friend. In fact I was in Birmingham just last night. It's wierd to think how just a day ago people were so calm, I couldn't have guessed anything like this would happen at all a day before. It would be wierd thinking Manchester suffer a similar fate.
Posted Image

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:58

I hate it that these scum can just get away with it as well, gang culture needs to be crushed with an iron fist. It's just utter mindless violence. Hopefully the police will pull the rubber bullets out and aim for the groin, stop these bastards breeding.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:04

Cheers wiz, this is whats happening in woolwich

http://yfrog.com/04r1yz

Its scary to witness how powerless the police are

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:11

The police adhere to rules, the rioters don't. I imagine this will be cracked down on hard soon though, theres an emergency COBRA meeting tomorrow. I forsee rubber bullets, water cannons ect.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:57

Seems to have spread to Liverpool as well know, Toxteth v2....
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:35

Seriously though, why this sudden huge explosion of violence? Is is really just the death of one guy? Was the one they shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary or something? 8|
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:10

We have a lot of chavs. To paraphrase a friend of mine on FB yesterday, this is Labour's legacy. Too many years of soft policing, sentancing and govenrment handouts have given us a generation of lazy, good-for-nothing, ill-disciplined teenagers who do not see the police as a threat nor jail as punishment.

Actual quote btw:

This last week or so is Labour's legacy! Soft policing, soft punishment, overspending on shit, leaving this country without a pot to piss in, but short sighted people will blame Dave and the boys, but they are the ones picking up the pieces

Edited by Wizard, 09 August 2011 - 07:15.

#15 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:47

So, is this just opportunist gang behaviour or something?
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:54

There is a quote on the BBC website that suggests the rioters are fed up with poverty. I will refrain from voicing my highly biased opinion on this, but I do call BS. There is no political motivation to this. These are teenagers living in parts of London with little prospects, but they are doing it because they have nothing better to do. It's the school holidays, they all have Blackberries and iPhones and are just being antisocial for the sake of it.

#17 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:02

Question, does a big TV solve this issues of poverty and inequality? If not then we can safely say the rioters are not doing it because they feel hard done by.

I'm going to say its probably a small organisation who like violence (take your pick there's more than enough) and a lot of people who are taken in by mass hysteria/ peer pressure.

I would hesitate to go as far as Ion has mentioned, mainly because in the UK we've had a history of trying to crush riots and specific groups and it didn't go well. See Northern Ireland, many African ex colonies etx.

#18 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:41

So, there's been talk of upping police powers and even bringing the Army in...

As Ion mentioned earlier, it's mostly the uneducated chav scum running around stirring all of this up. Really pisses me off when you see them explaining as inarticulately as expected their motives behind all of this.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#19 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:27

The comment about poverty was from Ken Livingstone, which I thought was disgusting. Even in a situation like this he was trying to get political gain out of it. The people doing this are exactly the people I despise with a passion, the ones I believe should be culled for the good of society, which if thats inhumane, so be it. They're not scared of the police, they never have been. And they understand only one thing, violence.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:33

View PostIon Cannon!, on 09 August 2011 - 09:27, said:

The comment about poverty was from Ken Livingstone
The one I was referring to was from rioters to a BBC reporter.

#21 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:37

Well either way, it's bollocks. I really don't care if things have been hard for them and they've had a bad upbringing. Doesn't give them an excuse to do this.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:01

NOTHING gives anyone an excuse to do this.

#23 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:48

View PostWizard, on 09 August 2011 - 07:10, said:

We have a lot of chavs. To paraphrase a friend of mine on FB yesterday, this is Labour's legacy. Too many years of soft policing, sentancing and govenrment handouts have given us a generation of lazy, good-for-nothing, ill-disciplined teenagers who do not see the police as a threat nor jail as punishment.

Actual quote btw:

This last week or so is Labour's legacy! Soft policing, soft punishment, overspending on shit, leaving this country without a pot to piss in, but short sighted people will blame Dave and the boys, but they are the ones picking up the pieces

Agreed completely.

Its also the fault of the popular music and advertising agencies for shoving products people cant afford down their throats and glorifying violence, pure self interest and criminal behaviour. What the hell did people think would happen in the end. Its a wonder this didnt happen any sooner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 13:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

Why is the BBC reporter talking to these people, they should notify the police as they basically just admitted to stealing and being an active part of the riots. I really really wish people like this just ceased to exist.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 09 August 2011 - 13:11.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 13:37

View PostIon Cannon!, on 09 August 2011 - 13:09, said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424
I really really wish people like this just ceased to exist.
I really, really can't find any reason to disagree with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users