Dark Millenium Update!

115 replies to this topic

#101 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 21:20

Well since Vigil seems to have less of a digital hardon for SPESS MEHRENS than Relic does, hopefully it all ends well.

Not mourning the loss of it being an MMO.

Posted Image

#102 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:09

Shame about the job losses, but hopfully this game turns out great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#103 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41

The change is more to my liking..but don't knwo how the change would affect the quality and the feel of the game.

I am especially saddened by the loss of ppl @ Relic. This could also mean that DOW3 might not be out for a loong time.

#104 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:07

Yeah well, as sad as I am that one of my favorite publishers seems to be dying a slow death, I can't say it isn't their own fault. They spent like 1 billion on some retarded drawing game that didn't sell anything.

Still, I prefer the idea of the game being single-player, perhaps we will finally have the 40k-non Spess Mehreen RPG we (or maybe just me) always wanted?

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#105 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:59

Any info on playable races yet?
Posted Image

#106 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:23

View Post~ V ~, on 30 March 2012 - 06:59, said:

Any info on playable races yet?

No, no info apart from "it's now singleplayer"

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#107 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:52

Presumably there'll be at least the Holy Trinity (SM, CSM, Orks), although I'm hoping for more.

There hasn't been Necrons in any W40k game since DC, and that was more than 5 years ago now.

Edited by Alias, 30 March 2012 - 09:54.

Posted Image

#108 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:17

I am not sure whether this is a good or bad development yet. On the one hand I did like the idea of a grim-dark MMO, but I think it would have been fatally flawed.

It would be surprising to discard the work Vigil have probably done on the Guard/Imperial forces. They have shown a lot of screens of them thus far, but it remains to be seen if the new game will follow the same class based mechanic.

You'll be extremely lucky to get anything of living metal in this game mate. Despite the success of the latest 'Cron releases (and weirdo fluff), I don't think that THQ see them as a suitable faction to use in game, not sure why?

#109 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:50

View PostWizard, on 30 March 2012 - 10:17, said:

I am not sure whether this is a good or bad development yet. On the one hand I did like the idea of a grim-dark MMO, but I think it would have been fatally flawed.

It would be surprising to discard the work Vigil have probably done on the Guard/Imperial forces. They have shown a lot of screens of them thus far, but it remains to be seen if the new game will follow the same class based mechanic.

You'll be extremely lucky to get anything of living metal in this game mate. Despite the success of the latest 'Cron releases (and weirdo fluff), I don't think that THQ see them as a suitable faction to use in game, not sure why?
I've come to expect no Necrons, and with the Wardfluff I think having no Necrons might be a good thing. :/

Indeed, I would be surprised to see no IG either, but they're not 100% definite like the others.

GW, and conversely THQ and Relic are both extremely biased towards Space Marines, purely because that's what the majority audience is. It makes sense why it is the case, but doesn't make it any less annoying considering 95% of releases are focussed on the same race. The thing that gives Warhammer and W40k depth is the incredibly variety and differences between the races. If I wanted to watch absurdly masculine men in power armour murdering other absurdly masculine men in power armour I'd watch some generic scifi.

Regardless, I am quietly optimistic. Hopefully someone non-Relic will be a breath of fresh air, if it ever sees the light of day.

Posted Image

#110 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52

Why do people still think there will be multiple playable races?

How would that work in a 40k singleplayer RPG? I mean, they all hate eachother, which would make questing impossible unless they either introduced some new "neutral" race or had multiple storylines. Which would be a huge amount of work.

Edited by SquigPie, 30 March 2012 - 12:54.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#111 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:04

View PostSquigPie, on 30 March 2012 - 12:52, said:

How would that work in a 40k singleplayer RPG?
Sense, this makes none? Where are you seeing that it will be an RPG?

#112 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 13:56

Even if it were an RPG, I'd think it would probably be pretty open world. i.e. a selected amount of races are based on certain sections of the map (sort of like how Dawn of War worked from DC onward). I don't exactly see how this wouldn't be possible.

At least, that's what I hope for. I don't really think THQ/Vigil want to create a Space Marine clone.

Worse case scenario I'm sure they can invent some random story like they did for the Dawn of War games, there's artefact X on this world, and all the races just happen to be on the same planet to fight over it or something.

Let's put it this way, in it's MMO state it was almost certainly going to have multiple playable races. I don't see why they'd drop such a crucial feature.

Edited by Alias, 30 March 2012 - 13:59.

Posted Image

#113 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:32

Well, I'm not even going to bother with this if IG arn't a playable race.
Posted Image

#114 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 15:55

View Post~ V ~, on 30 March 2012 - 15:32, said:

Well, I'm not even going to bother with this if IG arn't a playable race.
Be glad your race is in 80% of things.

Posted Image

#115 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 16:27

View PostWizard, on 30 March 2012 - 13:04, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 30 March 2012 - 12:52, said:

How would that work in a 40k singleplayer RPG?
Sense, this makes none? Where are you seeing that it will be an RPG?

Well,it's by Vigil games, and used to be an MMO, so it'll probably be some sort of action/RPG/adventure mix.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#116 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 20:04

I don't care who the fuck thinks what the fuck about a RPG Warhammer, I say if it is done properly, it will be the best RPG around. I didn't see any lore as great as Warhammer's. be it 40.000 or old.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users