←  Warfare Technology

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Whoever said swords were not valid in the...

Alias's Photo Alias 06 Feb 2009

http://en.wikipedia..../Jack_Churchill
This guy is seriously awesome.

"Nicknamed "Fighting Jack Churchill" and "Mad Jack", was an English soldier who fought throughout World War II armed with a bow, arrows and a claymore. He once said "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed"."

Churchill gave the signal to attack by cutting down the enemy feldwebel (sergeant) with his barbed arrows, becoming the only known British soldier to have felled an enemy with a longbow in the course of the war.
If a bow wasn't badarse enough,

As the ramps fell on the first landing craft, Churchill leapt forward from his position playing The March of the Cameron Men on bagpipes, throwing a grenade and began running towards the bay.

A mortar shell killed or wounded everyone but Churchill, who played "Will Ye No Come Back Again?" on his pipes as the Germans advanced.
He plays the fucking bagpipes while charging. Shit was SO cash. He also carries a sword, seriously. Who needs guns.

He was also awesome after the war:

Eccentric until the end, Churchill would toss his briefcase out of the window of the commuter train he rode home every day. Passengers and conductors were shocked because they did not know he was throwing the luggage into his own backyard as the train passed by. It saved him the trouble of carrying it all the way home from the station.

http://en.wikipedia....H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

During the Winter War (1939–1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, he began his duty as a sniper against the Red Army. Working in temperatures between −20 and −40 degrees Celsius (−4 and −40 degrees Fahrenheit), and dressed completely in a white camouflage suit, Häyhä was credited with more than 500 confirmed kills against Soviet soldiers.
As if the cold isn't hard enough.

e preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target (the sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to prevent visibility risks (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily), and aid concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). Another tactic used by Häyhä was to freeze the snow in front of him so that the shot wouldn't puff the snow, thus revealing his position. He also kept snow in his mouth so that when breathing he wouldn't reveal his position.
No scope, either. Iron sights all the way. 500+ kills is a mighty achievement for one man, an iron-sighted rifle and a camo suit.

I don't condone war, but I certainly don't disagree that it can create some extraordinary people.

By the way, these are both confirmed if you look elsewhere, Wiki is just "easier" to base stuff off.

Warbz's Photo Warbz 06 Feb 2009

wow, I have new heroes. srsly.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 06 Feb 2009

Posted Image

Prepare for the future.
Edited by RaiDK, 06 February 2009 - 12:18.

Soul's Photo Soul 06 Feb 2009

What a badass :read:.

CommanderJB's Photo CommanderJB 07 Feb 2009

When reading Jack Churchill's wiki page, the only thought that really kept going though my head was 'is this guy for real?'. I mean, charging off a landing craft onto a beach playing the bagpipes tossing grenades... it sounds like something out of a bad film. (I loved the comment about the war ending too soon, as well.) An extraordinary pair, no mistake.

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 07 Feb 2009

As far as Churchill goes, some people were born in the wrong era.

ΓΛPTΘΓ's Photo ΓΛPTΘΓ 07 Feb 2009

Swords can block bullets if used right... :omfg:

TehKiller's Photo TehKiller 07 Feb 2009

View PostAlias, on 6 Feb 2009, 13:05, said:

http://en.wikipedia....H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

During the Winter War (1939–1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, he began his duty as a sniper against the Red Army. Working in temperatures between −20 and −40 degrees Celsius (−4 and −40 degrees Fahrenheit), and dressed completely in a white camouflage suit, Häyhä was credited with more than 500 confirmed kills against Soviet soldiers.
As if the cold isn't hard enough.

e preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target (the sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to prevent visibility risks (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily), and aid concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). Another tactic used by Häyhä was to freeze the snow in front of him so that the shot wouldn't puff the snow, thus revealing his position. He also kept snow in his mouth so that when breathing he wouldn't reveal his position.
No scope, either. Iron sights all the way. 500+ kills is a mighty achievement for one man, an iron-sighted rifle and a camo suit.

I don't condone war, but I certainly don't disagree that it can create some extraordinary people.

By the way, these are both confirmed if you look elsewhere, Wiki is just "easier" to base stuff off.

Every day in the early morning and at noon there is a small TV show called "TV Kalendar" (TV Calendar....obviously) which in 15 minutes tells all the main events on [insert the current date of broadcast] in the past. Though in aditional 5 minutes it also says some interesting events/persons of which people dont really know and I saw that doude like last month. Apparently he also made like 200 SMG kills (thus making a total of 700 kills and the #1 sniper of all time...Zaitsev wasnt even close to him)

D.K.'s Photo D.K. 07 Feb 2009

Zaitsev is more famous for doing some really fucked up shots... he had sensitive high-value objectives to take care of, and a city full of pissed Germans. I don't say he's the best - but surely he deserves high place in history.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 07 Feb 2009

Some epic soldiers right there.

WNxMastrefubu's Photo WNxMastrefubu 08 Feb 2009

dang, churchill is All that is Man

Rai's Photo Rai 08 Feb 2009

There I was thinking of the existance of this man called the extraordinary Jack Churchill. He uses bagpipes, throws grenades at enemy positions, sniping 500 soldiers without being seen, and throwing his briefcase to his backyard sounds ridiculous. But I hope this man is real.

TehKiller's Photo TehKiller 08 Feb 2009

he didnt sniped 500 soldiers...the finnish dude done that (out of 700 kills he sniped 500 soviets....this is one of those rare cases in which Call of Duty logic applies)

deltaepsilon's Photo deltaepsilon 09 Feb 2009

View PostDerKrieger, on 9 Feb 2009, 4:47, said:

Those were all awesome. Hell, I can't even do what that Finnish guy managed when I'm playing Call of Duty.

Masonicon's Photo Masonicon 23 Jun 2009

Even in the age of guns, sword are still use widely by soldiers, particularly before machine guns, and High Explosive shells for heavy guns appeared.

AZZKIKR's Photo AZZKIKR 25 Jun 2009

masonicon, please refrain from posting in old topics though.