Pascal

10 replies to this topic

#1 OrionWarrior

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 15:25

Who still programs Pascal? I'm starting programming with Pascal, because I have load of books teaching it.
Someone else?

Cumps.

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Steve Wozniak

#2 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:18

Oh well, I cannot say that I'm really programming in Pascal, but that's what we're learning at high school, and I honestly would've preferred if they were teaching us some useful language instead... I mean C/C++ is more used than pascal, and could come more in handy...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#3 OrionWarrior

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:23

View PostCommander Carl, on 30 Jul 2009, 18:18, said:

Oh well, I cannot say that I'm really programming in Pascal, but that's what we're learning at high school, and I honestly would've preferred if they were teaching us some useful language instead... I mean C/C++ is more used than pascal, and could come more in handy...

Pascal will be your only language? I agree that Pascal is a good language to learn basic programming concepts, but that's it.
C/C++/Java are the languages worth to learn and develop.

Steve Wozniak

#4 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:31

Yep it'll be the only one, even the informatics branch covers only pascal, plus a bit of webdesign... (when our outdated machines manage to launch Macromedia Dreamweaver after 15 minutes :P)

#5 OrionWarrior

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:44

Weird. My sister went on a informatics branch, learned pascal, visual basic(most worked), java, C++(Not much).
Education should be universal. Everything the same. :P

Steve Wozniak

#6 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 17:54

Education can't be universal, that's simply impossible as that would interfere with the local cultures, also you must know that in Tunisia, informatics at School are a quite new concept, and not all countries can afford these additional expenses. (But that's not the point of the topic anyways :P)

#7 OrionWarrior

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 18:02

True. Still, some areas are too much under developed. And my opinion is that education is a excellent way to the development of a country. And since some governments don't seem to understand, they don't develop.

Steve Wozniak

#8 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:44

Pascal was initially developed the 1970s or something for educational purposes. I'm not sure it was ever meant to be a professionally used language, and it shows. C and C++ were developed 'for the developers', so they have a lot more features that are just practical rather than 'good for learning'.

That said, I think Java is the best language to learn programming in, because it's more practical than Pascal but still harder to shoot yourself in the foot with than C.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:01

View PostCodeCat, on 31 Jul 2009, 10:44, said:

That said, I think Java is the best language to learn programming in, because it's more practical than Pascal but still harder to shoot yourself in the foot with than C.

I'm not quite sure about that, Java gives the impression it's very hard to use, plus it seems very buggy (At least, all the Java programs I tried on 4 differents computers actually had some bugs, but I may just be cursed :P )

#10 OrionWarrior

Visitor

• 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:22

View PostCommander Carl, on 31 Jul 2009, 11:01, said:

I'm not quite sure about that, Java gives the impression it's very hard to use, plus it seems very buggy (At least, all the Java programs I tried on 4 differents computers actually had some bugs, but I may just be cursed :D )

Java gives mores jobs :P

Steve Wozniak

#11 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:20

View PostCommander Carl, on 31 Jul 2009, 13:01, said:

I'm not quite sure about that, Java gives the impression it's very hard to use, plus it seems very buggy (At least, all the Java programs I tried on 4 differents computers actually had some bugs, but I may just be cursed :P )

Java has a ton of resources online. If you wanna teach yourself, get JavaDR and find some tutorials on Sun's website.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users