←  Other art

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Doc's Evil Art Pad

TheDR's Photo TheDR 27 Aug 2009

Hey Fallout, i started doing some comic book style drawings using my graphics tablet i purchased off ebay.

I used a book with lots of comic book tutorials in, which is helping me a lot so far, I'm hoping to get better and start to move onto more complicated stuff.

This evil guy started it off for me, it also was the first time i properly tested out my graphics tablet.
Posted Image

This guy was the second one i did with the tutorials, it was obviously harder because of the angle and the hair (Two things i haven't done before :sly:) but it came out well.
Posted Image

This is just a regular guy, again made using the tutorials.
Posted Image

I will keep this place updated as i make more :sly:

Nid's Photo Nid 07 Sep 2009

That's pretty decent, if you plan to persue that kind of distorted look about all of your characters.

I like it alot, although the cheeks on that last face could do with either erasing or touching up, they seem a bit out of place.
Edited by Nidmeister, 07 September 2009 - 20:08.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 09 Sep 2009

Meet Dr.Burnside, my first err... character 8|

Posted Image

Destiny's Photo Destiny 09 Sep 2009

He looks like the typical mad scientist but also doesn't look like one...very...interesting. The pens look funny not being straight though. 8|

Ixonoclast's Photo Ixonoclast 09 Sep 2009

Hey man, excellent work, especially the 1st. He really breathes an atmosphere of criminal activities.

I suggest you practice on completing your own style. The 1st, 2nd and 4th have a great style that really says "Made by TheDR". The 3th lacks that style, and thus, lacks spirit, lifeforce.

I'd say screw realism, go exploit your caricatural style. 8|

TheDR's Photo TheDR 30 Sep 2009

Posted Image

I wanted to do something more than just heads, so i tried a quick scene, which ended up taking ages to do 8|
I have gained lots from doing it and i will be doing more :P

Warbz's Photo Warbz 30 Sep 2009

better defined arms and less scribbly shading and it would be much better imo.

Brad's Photo Brad 30 Sep 2009

On the contrary, I actually enjoy the scribbly style. It looks fitting in my opinion.

IPS's Photo IPS 30 Sep 2009

not bad, but

first: I'd suggest you make yourself a costume sketch brush with the opacity defined by the pen pressure.
It's a great tool, trust me. 8|

second: try to subtle use soft brushes for soft shadows and lights.
however it's a good thing to start with hard brushes, because you get a much better feeling for lighting with them (was my fault in the early days to start with the soft ones >.<).

I await further sketches!

TheDR's Photo TheDR 30 Sep 2009

View PostIPS, on 30 Sep 2009, 23:08, said:

not bad, but

first: I'd suggest you make yourself a costume sketch brush with the opacity defined by the pen pressure.
It's a great tool, trust me. :P

second: try to subtle use soft brushes for soft shadows and lights.
however it's a good thing to start with hard brushes, because you get a much better feeling for lighting with them (was my fault in the early days to start with the soft ones >.<).

I await further sketches!

Thanks for the advice, i have set up a opacity defined brush. I will have a go with soft brushes for the lighting and such.

I like starting new things, gives you a sense of satisfaction as you slowly get better 8|

@Warbz: I was trying for a gritting style, maybe i should of killed a bit of the colour off to make it look more menacing.

@Brad: The scribbly style is more fun to do and i do like the outcome.

Warbz's Photo Warbz 30 Sep 2009

I'd still say perspective and proportions could do with some work.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 18 Oct 2009

Drawing Humans got boring fast, so i have moved onto other things :P

Posted Image
First off a quick robot dude, just messing around with a few techniques.

Posted Image
This one took ages, its a concept i will be using for a college flash animation, its going to be about waring insects inside a house. This guy is a member of a Mexican Ban-Beetles! :D

Il be making the next insect soon, for a clue to what it will be, lets just say he likes vodka 8|

TheDR's Photo TheDR 22 Oct 2009

Posted Image

Well here is the enemy of the Mexican Ban-Beetle, the Russian Roach! :lol:

This guy was fun to drawn, i will hopefully start doing the pre-production for college soon, il use these guys as concept examples.

Edit: Btw, i didn't trace that AK47, i drew it freehand!
Edited by TheDR, 22 October 2009 - 20:09.

Libains's Photo Libains 22 Oct 2009

Heavy-hat influence much?

Lovely stuff tho Doc, looks like a really fun character :lol:

Brad's Photo Brad 22 Oct 2009

I love the Roach, it really looks good in your style.
Although I feel as though the secondary hands should be doing something.

@AJ: I didn't mean for it to look like the heavy hat, it was the first Russian hat that came to mind :lol:
And thanks AJ, hopefully il get another Russian Roach done soon.

View PostBrad, on 22 Oct 2009, 21:25, said:

I love the Roach, it really looks good in your style.
Although I feel as though the secondary hands should be doing something.

They were holding a bottle of vodka but it didn't seem to fit 8|
I love having my own "Style", i find that pretty cool.

CJ's Photo CJ 22 Oct 2009

View PostAJ, on 22 Oct 2009, 21:18, said:

Exactly my thoughts :lol:

@Doc : I like your style for the roach, but the beetle isn't so good compared to that one 8|
Also, it seems that you're using a tablet and not the pen tool so good luck on animating this on Flash 8|

View PostNikola Tesla, on 22 Oct 2009, 21:38, said:

View PostAJ, on 22 Oct 2009, 21:18, said:

Exactly my thoughts :lol:

@Doc : I like your style for the roach, but the beetle isn't so good compared to that one 8|
Also, it seems that you're using a tablet and not the pen tool so good luck on animating this on Flash 8|

First, I'm practicing and continually improving, which means some newer stuff may look better than the rest 8|
Second, I am just making concepts for my flash animation at the moment, not the final stuff 8|

TheDR's Photo TheDR 03 Jun 2010

Oh no, whats inside! |8

Posted Image

I had lots of fun doing this one, i have done a few Spys in the past, but this is the first one I'm pleased with 8|

Destiny's Photo Destiny 04 Jun 2010

Gettin' better and better Doc~

I just have two complaints:

Where is his cigarette, usa~

and finally...the most...evil question, the most...hated complaint of all..........

...needs more glow. |8

Major Fuckup's Photo Major Fuckup 04 Jun 2010

You should add Destiny peepin in the background!

TheDR's Photo TheDR 23 May 2011

Drawing update.

Here is a WIP evil church, started it a while ago and occasionally add to it. Would be interesting to hear some people's thoughts on what to do next as I've get stuck :xD:

Posted Image

Here are three concepts for an indie stealth FPS game I started. Based in the back garden, each person would be able to plant themselves into the ground and pretend to be normal flowers. Might work on this project a bit more soon, if anyone is interesting in helping, any knowledge of the Unreal SDK would be appreciated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A Metal Slug type tank, just me practicing using some techniques.
Posted Image

My latest work, I'm creating a 40k Sentinel in a barren looking desert environment, I've only got the first sketches done so far, going to work on some line work next.
Posted Image

And finaly a drawing I did for WebTM (an admin on the minecraft forums). He asked for a rendition of himself in the 'Notch' style. He liked my submission a lot so I won the completion and a copy of Brink :xD:

Posted Image