←  Code Block

Fallout Studios Forums

»

C++ tutorial progress

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 18 Oct 2009

As you might have seen, the C++ tutorial on the wiki is well underway. You can have a look here: http://wiki.fallouts.../Manual:C%2B%2B

It's not done at all yet, but there is already a significant amount of stuff in it. So I'd like to know if anyone has any feedback on it so far. Was it useful? Do some things need improvement? Was it easy to understand for a newbie?
Edited by CodeCat, 14 November 2009 - 17:54.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 18 Oct 2009

I've not had a proper chance to glance over it yet. Once I've sorted out some other stuff I'll be working my way through it. I'll let you have some feed back then.

Warbz's Photo Warbz 18 Oct 2009

I refuse to read it, else it will confuse the hell outta me when it comes to doing C# coursework tomorrow. :P
Edited by W!, 18 October 2009 - 23:06.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 09 Nov 2009

Now that the tutorial is becoming more structured and complete, I noticed it's becoming somewhat book-like. It has parts, chapters, sections etc. So after some thinking I have decided to release it as a proper book in PDF format once everything is done. It will stay on the wiki, too, but I'm not sure if I can keep two versions of it updated in sync. In any case, the finished initial version will be on the wiki.
Edited by CodeCat, 09 November 2009 - 21:34.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 14 Nov 2009

I'll be posting occasional progress reports here as I get more stuff done.

At the moment the tutorial is divided into 5 parts, but as you may have seen a lot of subjects are still being moved around. I've now settled on the division of the first two parts so it's unlikely they'll change much in the future. Parts 1 and 2 are now done, so all the basics and function-related stuff has been covered. I had planned to number the chapters from the very beginning but since I've been moving around stuff so much I didn't want to have to renumber everything all the time. With parts 1 and 2 done I've numbered the chapters in there. The sections (that is, the actual wiki pages) will be numbered later as well.

Numbers's Photo Numbers 11 Jan 2010

I'm going to see if I can learn from this. If I fail it probably won't be your fault.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 11 Jan 2010

If you fail, tell me why so I can improve it. :duh: