←  Role Playing Games

Fallout Studios Forums

»

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

TheDR's Photo TheDR 23 Nov 2010

Kotaku Link

Posted Image

According to a report on Eurogamer Denmark, Elder Scrolls developers Bethesda are already hard at work on a fifth episode in the storied role-playing series.

"[Our] source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content — with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades — and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow", Eurogamer Denmark's boss Kristian West says.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles."

Interesting. Having been teased in novels and yearned for in rap songs, it would be good news indeed if Bethesda — whose last outing was Fallout 3 — was returning to Oblivion's more inviting landscapes.

The atomic wastelands have a charm of their own, sure, but there's something about rolling fields and a blue sky that just makes you want to really live in a game world.

Interesting news :cool:

I really enjoyed Oblivion and have been waiting for any news on the next one, i hope it lives up to my hype.
Edited by TheDR, 13 December 2010 - 10:25.

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 23 Nov 2010

want want want want!
I played Oblivion to death so this is epic news!

Mike

samster01's Photo samster01 23 Nov 2010

Ah awesome. :cool:

Hopefully the rumour is true.

I've spent a stupid amount of time playing Oblivion, one of my favourite RPG's ever. (Never got into Fallout 3, personally I prefer fantasy to post apocalyptic worlds).

Hopefully more information will be revealed soon.

- Sam

Pandut's Photo Pandut 23 Nov 2010

Oblivion could have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It was fun, but the lack of weapon variety, NPC detailing and good voice acting put me out of the mood pretty quickly after about an hour to two. I just hope they make the beast races, Argonians and Khajiit, actually look beast-like instead of a lizard/tiger head copypasta'd onto a human body.
Edited by Sobek, 23 November 2010 - 21:28.

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 23 Nov 2010

IMO the amount of enchantments and spells provide a massive amount of weapon variety.
There are also some pretty cool voices in there.
I loved the Argonian guy :O

Mike

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 23 Nov 2010

I will definitely be getting this for Xbox :cool:

Alias's Photo Alias 24 Nov 2010

View PostSobek, on 24 Nov 2010, 8:27, said:

Oblivion could have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It was fun, but the lack of weapon variety, NPC detailing and good voice acting put me out of the mood pretty quickly after about an hour to two. I just hope they make the beast races, Argonians and Khajiit, actually look beast-like instead of a lizard/tiger head copypasta'd onto a human body.
I've got to agree with this, to be honest. Oblivion had the worst case of "Bethesda characters" (aka everyone looks the same, acts the same, women look like men etc) in any game I've ever played. The gameplay was good but the atmosphere always got broken by how horribly cardboard all of the characters were.

Same thing with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but at least they have enough variety to keep you going. Oblivion is practically non-stop assaulting Obilvion gates.

I prefer Morrowind by a fair margin. Hopefully they can get it right, they've had 5 years since Oblivion.

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 24 Nov 2010

View PostAlias, on 24 Nov 2010, 1:42, said:

View PostSobek, on 24 Nov 2010, 8:27, said:

I've got to agree with this, to be honest. Oblivion had the worst case of "Bethesda characters" (aka everyone looks the same, acts the same, women look like men etc) in any game I've ever played. The gameplay was good but the atmosphere always got broken by how horribly cardboard all of the characters were.

Same thing with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but at least they have enough variety to keep you going. Oblivion is practically non-stop assaulting Obilvion gates.

I prefer Morrowind by a fair margin. Hopefully they can get it right, they've had 5 years since Oblivion.

I feel the same, oblivion didn't have enough stuff in it. By that I mean it may have had say 20 abandoned forts, but they all used the same tileset. Essentially the entire game was just a few zones. Grassland / Caves / Fortress / Ancient ruins and the Oblivion areas. What they need to do is mix it up ALOT. So you don't feel like your in the same place over and over, which I did. The lack of items was also a problem.

Erik's Photo Erik 04 Dec 2010

While you wait you might aswell try "Nehrim - at fates edge" an amazing total conversion for oblivion, far better than the original game in my opinion.

Pandut's Photo Pandut 12 Dec 2010

Not a rumor anymore it seems.
Edited by Sobek, 12 December 2010 - 08:40.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 12 Dec 2010

Yay!

That looks really good, although i hope it's just not more of Oblivion. The things i hope have drastically changed are the engine and the leveling system, if they can use the stuff they learned from doing Fallout 3 to their advantage we could be onto a winner |8

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 12 Dec 2010

That has made my day!
This will be a definite purchase for me.

Mike

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 12 Dec 2010

I beg Bethesda to have more environments than last time. Please don't make a game where I can tell which blocks of scenery have been reused in 20 different places. Do it more DA style, have lots of completely different, unique and wonderous locations.
Edited by Ion Cannon!, 12 December 2010 - 15:52.

Magma's Photo Magma 13 Dec 2010

Good news everyone:
Oh Good, Elder Scrolls V Won't Use That Broken old Engine

Been wondering myself too about that, good thing they changed it.
Question is; what kind of engine they are planning to put in it, more importantly; how stable and flexible. (thinking about modders and their mods)
I had about 200 mods on my last Oblivion playthrough which raised lot's of it's initial gameplay mechanics and things to do in it.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 13 Dec 2010

YES!

Major win. If they get this game right and don't fall into the same traps they have done before, it could be one of the best games of all time.

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 13 Dec 2010

Oh hell yes! :D
The new just keeps getting better :P

Mike

Camille's Photo Camille 14 Dec 2010

RIP gamebryo :P

while you were annoying as fuck most of the time, you also granted us the power to mod like we never modded before.
Edited by Camille, 14 December 2010 - 13:41.

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 08 Jan 2011

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/08/bethesda-c...caling-feature/

Looks like they have moved more towards the Fallout 3 system.
I never really had a problem with the old system as it ensured the game was always challenging, no matter how good you got.
However, i have faith that they will make this system work as well :duh:

Edit - Another link here with much more detail about the game - http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/first-elder-sc...-skyrim-details

Its sounding better and better every time :xD:

Mike
Edited by Mbob61, 08 January 2011 - 14:26.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 08 Jan 2011

Scans from Game Informer :duh:

Warlock's Photo Warlock 09 Jan 2011

Oh damn it, I love Elder Scrolls games, and after reading all the articles you guys have linked, I'm getting so excited :xD:

It's good to know that they're changing the leveling system this time round :duh:

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 09 Jan 2011

These changes should be for the better :duh:

Mbob61's Photo Mbob61 18 Jan 2011

Many new details and a new screeny! :P
Click me!

Posted Image

Mike
Edited by Mbob61, 18 January 2011 - 22:57.

Warlock's Photo Warlock 19 Jan 2011

The graphics that are able to produced with this new engine are breathtaking :P

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 21 Jan 2011

View PostGrey_Vengeance, on 19 Jan 2011, 8:14, said:

The graphics that are able to produced with this new engine are breathtaking 8|

Yes massive improvement over Oblivion and Fallout :xD:

Seems it might be cheaper for me to get it on PS3 than PC (might need a GPU upgrade :likey:)

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 21 Jan 2011

I dunno, always felt that RPG's were best on PC, although I'll probably get it for console, due to my pc being a shitty overheating mess.