←  News and Updates

Fallout Studios Forums

»

End of the Line

Henford's Photo Henford 15 Dec 2010

With barely a moment's warning, this Australian outpost is vaporised by a Soviet Nuclear Missile!

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 15 Dec 2010

Pretty nice, though I think the mushroom cloud should continue to rise, the colour change between the inverted shockwave and the stem is also a bit abrupt.

Shirou's Photo Shirou 15 Dec 2010

Ion Cannon is making valid points. The mushroom should just grow bigger and bigger until it fades.

I really like the after effects with nuclear material slowly falling from the sky. It gives this nuke so much more longevity.

Henford's Photo Henford 16 Dec 2010

View PostShirou, on 16 Dec 2010, 1:21, said:

Ion Cannon is making valid points. The mushroom should just grow bigger and bigger until it fades.

I really like the after effects with nuclear material slowly falling from the sky. It gives this nuke so much more longevity.

Yeah, the last bit is still a bit of a work-in-progress.

The other thing i am mindful of is my particle caps - obviously having an explosion that huge, you have to be a bit conservative with burst counts and particle sizes or it will bring some computers to a grinding halt!

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 16 Dec 2010

View PostHenford, on 16 Dec 2010, 0:59, said:

The other thing i am mindful of is my particle caps - obviously having an explosion that huge, you have to be a bit conservative with burst counts and particle sizes or it will bring some computers to a grinding halt!

I don't mod CnC3 so whats the particle cap? and how many is your nuke? With ZH max you can play with is 5k and thats generally enough :xD:

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Dec 2010, 14:27, said:

I don't mod CnC3 so whats the particle cap? and how many is your nuke? With ZH max you can play with is 5k and thats generally enough :xD:

The default setting is 3000, but it can be changed in the game setting INI (yes, C&C3 still uses them to some extent!). For CNC Fallout, I have it up at 5000 and the nuke pushes it up around that limit.

The Nuke FX contains in total 26 particle system effects.

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 16 Dec 2010

View PostHenford, on 16 Dec 2010, 10:29, said:

The default setting is 3000, but it can be changed in the game setting INI (yes, C&C3 still uses them to some extent!). For CNC Fallout, I have it up at 5000 and the nuke pushes it up around that limit.

It has the same particle cap as generals? That suprises me.. I thought it would have alot more, being a newer engine.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 16 Dec 2010

Weird, changes I made to the INIs, other than the PlayerTemplate.INI, had no effects.

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Dec 2010, 23:59, said:

It has the same particle cap as generals? That suprises me.. I thought it would have alot more, being a newer engine.

You're giving EA far to much credit.

Kris's Photo Kris 21 Dec 2010

Freaking awesome! The only i can suggest is what Ion cannon said and cut and/or replace the radiation fallout sound. Its really an anti-climax for that awesomeness

Henford's Photo Henford 22 Dec 2010

View PostKris, on 22 Dec 2010, 4:38, said:

Freaking awesome! The only i can suggest is what Ion cannon said and cut and/or replace the radiation fallout sound. Its really an anti-climax for that awesomeness

Watch these cold war era videos....

...and once you have watched them, you will realize just how creepy and symbolic that sound is.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 22 Dec 2010

I'd say keep the sound. It only adds to the fear-factor of a nuke.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 22 Dec 2010

I recommend either you do one or both of these:

Lower the volume of the effect, because its a bit overpowering at the moment and/or use those videos in your PR by editing them together with a bit of gameplay footage, it could end up looking really good :P

Shirou's Photo Shirou 22 Dec 2010

View PostIon Cannon!, on 16 Dec 2010, 13:59, said:

I don't mod CnC3 so whats the particle cap? and how many is your nuke? With ZH max you can play with is 5k and thats generally enough :P

He didnt say the limit was at 5k, he just said he upped the default limit. Perhaps the CnC3 engine can handle more. On the other hand, if the normal CnC3 game was created with a default setting of 3000 then there may as well be no improvement.

Henford's Photo Henford 22 Dec 2010

View PostTheDR, on 22 Dec 2010, 21:27, said:

I recommend either you do one or both of these:

Lower the volume of the effect, because its a bit overpowering at the moment and/or use those videos in your PR by editing them together with a bit of gameplay footage, it could end up looking really good :P

Definitely. I think the little jingle sound played at the end is one of the creepiest things I have ever heard.