←  Shock Therapy

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Play Red Alert 3 Shock therapy using LAN o...

Francula's Photo Francula 24 Apr 2011

This is actually a question I had in mind for a long time now.. Just didn't know who to get help from. I figured who better to ask other than the dev team of Shock Therapy.

- I haven't actually tried playing this game using LAN. But I've done some reading up and it seems like a lot of players are having problems playing this game using LAN. Most players are unable to play at all.
- I tried using EA's multiplayer online server and it's pretty bad. The interface sucks. It's SO not user friendly that I didn't have a clue on how to start a skirmish game with others online. I can't help but only compare it to Blizzard's SC2 online multiplayer which is very user friendly.

- Is there a better way? Does someone have a mod that makes LAN play possible? Is there another interface/multiplayer online thing?

Thanks for listening,
-Francula
Edited by Francula, 24 April 2011 - 18:55.

Com-Link's Photo Com-Link 24 Apr 2011

Well, with some of the earlier builds (prior to 1.01c) I have successfully played Shocked Therapy in Virtual LAN (over Hamachi) with NRedAlert.

Problems with both VLAN/LAN and Online might be version compatibility, and the online component of RA3 is somewhat unstable (I kept DC'ing on my old pc).

But, in theory, if two players have the same game version (patch 1.12) and the same mod version (1.011) they should be able to play via both LAN and Online.
If you want to play with friends, you could set up a Hamachi network. It grants some more privacy then the online lobbies (and LAN is more users-friendly)

We might set up an 'official' VLAN server for Shock Therapy once we're done with the majority of changes.

Francula's Photo Francula 25 Apr 2011

Thanks for the note Com-link.

I'm enjoying 1.011 right now facing against the improved AI you guys worked on. Can't wait to play real players and amp up the fun factor.

If you guys set up an official VLAN server for Shock Therapy that would be truely awesome! I'm sure all red alert fans would benefit from this. I myself can't wait for the 1.012 update.. I must wait patiently - quality comes with time
Edited by Francula, 25 April 2011 - 04:12.

PsionicAnnihilator's Photo PsionicAnnihilator 22 May 2011

Actually I am the master at that LoL :xD:

I know every other way of playing ra3 with your friends other than the Ea Server

Garena (Lan emulator) with about 50 people.
Hamachi (Personal Lan Emulator) up to 16 people.. depends on the server
Tunngle (Lan emulator with very few people)
and
Teknogod's beta server emulator. This one isn't like a lan emulator it emulates the server so that means you can play coop campaign.

Garena is most recommended since there is lots of people to play with and its really easy to install and use.
Teknogod's server is little buggy and not that many people playes it. Useful when playing coop campaign