14 replies to this topic

#1 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:59

View PostChyros, on 1 Jun 2011, 7:32, said:

fagging

Would you stop using that word? Even if it didn't make you look homophobic it still makes me think I'm on 4chan.

I agree with your point though.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#2 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:35

Yeah, it might be better to use a less offensive adjective...

Edited by deltaepsilon, 01 June 2011 - 08:36.

----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#3 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:49

As you wish. I can assure you I'm not homophobic in the least, I'd like to stress.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:57

it's become somewhat of a different word over the years but i can understand some people would be offended (just in case: i'm not implying anything deltaepsilon and squig).
it's time to wake up

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 14:09

I split these posts from the CoD thread as it's quite an interesting topic. I've never really seen "fagging" as a homophobic word and I certainly know Chyros wasn't using it in that way. It can be weird how different words change over time as Camille mentioned.

It also brings up the topic of what to do, is it right to say Chyros shouldn't be allowed to post that word? When trying to moderate this problem I'm struck between not wanting to offend and trying to not oppress our members. Both are quite bad and it's hard to decide what to do, so I've split it into a new topic here to let us debate on the this topic.

(In the future, it would be nice if people started a new thread like this one to discuss the issue/new topic, instead of me having to split the topic).

Edited by TheDR, 01 June 2011 - 14:11.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 14:32

If 'maggot' is spared, I'm happy. But all in seriousness, in my opinion, if one uses a word, i.e. fag, at another member with full intention of derogatory remarks, then that's a no-no. But sarcasm is hard to show on the net. I sometimes use fag and dick, but only in cases where they understand that I use it as replacement for other words or for fun...

...not over the net, sadly. Only at school.
Posted Image

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 15:56

Personally I don't use the word "fag" as anything remotely related to homosexuality but really I don't care if it's allowed or not; if someone wants me not to use it, I can live well enough without it.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:39

Well, It depends on the situation, for instance, me and my friends (we're all white), call eachother "niggas" all the time, mostly for the irony, because we think it sounds funny, and having watched too much "The Boondocks". I'd never refer to a black person by that word, nor do I like using derogatory words about minorities.

I have no problem with the word "fag" when I use it on 4chan. But that's because it's a part of the culture there. It just feels...Out of place, on FS.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#9 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:48

View PostSquigPie, on 1 Jun 2011, 16:39, said:

Well, It depends on the situation, for instance, me and my friends (we're all white), call eachother "niggas" all the time, mostly for the irony, because we think it sounds funny, and having watched too much "The Boondocks". I'd never refer to a black person by that word, nor do I like using derogatory words about minorities.

I have no problem with the word "fag" when I use it on 4chan. But that's because it's a part of the culture there. It just feels...Out of place, on FS.

oh right, i thought you were genuinely offended.

if it's only a matter of "you stole our word!!1!" i really can't take the matter seriously.

personally i call people whatever the hell i want. i even give people my own made up names instead of their given names. i call black people niggers and white people bleakfart. no one cares, no one gives a shit. we all get along and even laugh up when people get pissed over such silly things like political correctness. those same people usually end up laughing too so i'd call it viral. is this behavior acceptable in just my town/country/continent or are there many other places where this is the reality? (thus, not what the media wants you to believe: OMFG BLACK PEOPLE ARE CALLED AFRICAN EUROPEANS and the likes).
it's time to wake up

#10 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:58

I'm sure it varies from place to place, but if someone called a black person a nigger around here, shit would go down. That's reserved for black people to use with other black people, and I cringe when I hear it on the internet because of it's racial etymology.

I really don't mind people throwing insults at others, as I believe in expression of opinion and not in political correctness. But some things are over the top, such as calling a gay person a fag, a black person a nigger, an asian a chink, etc. I'd much prefer "fucker" or "shithead" instead.
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#11 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 17:01

View PostCamille, on 1 Jun 2011, 18:48, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 1 Jun 2011, 16:39, said:

oh right, i thought you were genuinely offended.

if it's only a matter of "you stole our word!!1!" i really can't take the matter seriously.

personally i call people whatever the hell i want. i even give people my own made up names instead of their given names. i call black people niggers and white people bleakfart. no one cares, no one gives a shit. we all get along and even laugh up when people get pissed over such silly things like political correctness. those same people usually end up laughing too so i'd call it viral. is this behavior acceptable in just my town/country/continent or are there many other places where this is the reality? (thus, not what the media wants you to believe: OMFG BLACK PEOPLE ARE CALLED AFRICAN EUROPEANS and the likes).

It's not a matter of stealing words. It's a matter of social circles. I don't use the same heavily perverted and very black humor around my parents that I use around my friends. And I think 4chan and FS are two very different social circles. Thus I dislike when they get mixed up. When on FS, I take the use of language more seriously. Apart from that, it was also a matter of principles, I've gotten shot down whenever I used offensive words in here, so I expect anyone else to be given the same treatment. Regardless of intentions with such words.

Also, the offensive word for white people is "Cracker".

Edited by SquigPie, 01 June 2011 - 17:03.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#12 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 17:56

Also, the offensive word for white people is "Cracker".

not in dutch-speaking countries |8
it's time to wake up

#13 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:23

But seriously, "Bleakfart"?

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#14 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:38

bleekscheet, if you will |8 bleakfart is a literal translation. you can't explain that.
it's time to wake up

#15 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:54

Yeah, it was fairly evident that Chyros had no intention of using it in a homophobic sense. Also, despite what my previous post would suggest, I'm not particularly offended by it or anything, and I've probably used it myself a few times; I'm far from being politically correct. My main gripe is that it tends to be overused in too many contexts (e.g pretty much all over the internet); it also doesn't hurt to do your vocabulary a favour, and perhaps to expand it a little, by using more refined and appropriate language whenever you can. |8
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users