Racism and you..

32 replies to this topic

#26 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:48

Yeah, I've noticed it too, and that word has always bugged me. I know for a fact, that even if it wasn't a derogatory name for Blacks, I'd hate the word. It just sounds wrong. I hate it even more when someone calls me a n***a (yes, I've been asked "what's up n***a?") The question was in "playful banter", but when that word is used, I don't see it as "playful" anymore. In the Black community, that word is used, but in a different sense, since it's said from one Black to another. In my eyes, that's just as retarded. They took a word that the white man used to defile them, and they turned it into a pop-slang word. I don't think it makes the word any better, because it's the same principal as taking crap and spraying it with perfume. What do you get? Really smelly crap.

Because of racism, there are certain things a white man/woman can do around let's say for instance, a group of Black people. There are certain things that just aren't said, or shouldn't be said. Watch the movie "Guess Who" with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher. It is a comedy, but there is a scene that deals with "certain things that should/should not be said". Everyone's at the dinner table, and Ashton's character brings up the fact that his grandmother called his girlfriend's hair "nappy". Ashton's character's girlfriend in the movie is black. Ashton's character is then pressured into telling the black jokes he knows, one of which apparently goes over the line, and the mood at the dinner table is severly upset.

Why can't we just move on? Apologize, acknowledge our differences, learn to accept each other, and move on. Yes, I know "easier said than done", but is it really so hard to do this? It's a matter of respecting a person.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#27 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 24 April 2007 - 13:32

View Posthui tian, on 23 Apr 2007, 17:29, said:

I'm pretty much you're typical mock-racist asian... Race is just another way of making fun of someone you either do, or don't know.. stupid blonde... fat bastard... they're just a way to classify someone, and yes... many of the stereotypes that follow each of these terms comes from some actual reasoning (us asians DO have small bee-bee lil eyes, hence the term Slanty) regardless of how true it might be, it still doesn't make it right to truthfully judge someone just by the way they look, or the way that they think. everyone has more to their personality and character than just the ethnical, cultural, religious or sexual preference.

amongst my crowd, we make witty racist and sexist jokes amongst each other all the time. My non-Asian friends call me Charlie, Chinc, or Gouke... My Asian friends call me a Nip (btw, I'm not Japanese.. damn bastards...)... I throw the N-bomb at my African-American Friends, and Spic at the Latinos.. but its all just fun and game amongst each other. you can't throw those words out at a stranger, because you don't know if they're comfortable with those terms. regardless or not, they're politically incorrect words... and extremely offensive to some people. the N-bomb has a lot of meaning behind it, and its extremely derrogatory to many African Americans... but to other African Americans, its JUST a word... nothing more.. nothing less

Some people take offense to being called a FAG, because they don't like the implications to it... if you and your bestfriend/brother called each other FAGs, your reaction would be much different from that of a stranger on the street calling you this though. Same thing with FAT, or uglee... Your friends should generally have a better understanding of what will, and what won't offend you... a stranger wont. that being said, don't be the jackass stranger and call make fun of someone you don't know, regardless of skin color or whatever else..

QFT. You can say shit to your friends that you can't say to other people. They know you're only joking. I've had it explained to me that the n word with an -a instead of an -er, ("nigga" as opposed to the other spelling) is not really offensive, but is instead a term of famialiarity. However, it's generally advisable to wait for a black person to call you that (and they will do that, even if you aren't black) before you do it yourself, because it still sounds similar and can easily be taken the wrong way. If you spell it with an -er, however, it assumes the highly offensive form. If you ever were in a fight with a black person (usually not especially advisable), and you wanted to talk shit, that's what you say. I would advise against it in any other situation.

But, as for my views on racism, well, I see more reverse racism from African-Americans directed at white Americans than I see racism directed at African-Americans from white Americans. The impression I get is that the white folks have moved on and accepted the black folks as equals in society, but the black folks still think that the white folks owe them something. This of course is a generalization, but I've just seen far too many black people with the attitude that white America owes them something somehow and that the white folks should have to pay for them so they can live comfortably without lifting a finger, and that call anything that doesn't go their way or that they don't like "racism" for me to lend much credibility at all to the racism "issue." In my part of America, it's only as much of an issue as the black people make it, and alot of white people (myself included) feel very, very strongly and are very highly offended by the fact that African-Americans can claim racism in any situation they want - no matter how ridiculous - and they almost automatically win. It doesn't matter how bad a black person is at a job, or how stupid they are, or how much trouble they cause, if you fire them they can claim it was racism and then the government makes you give them their job back AND you have to pay them a shitload of money. It's ridiculous.

I DO, however, see a lot of racism from both black and white people directed towards hispanic people (in the US). None of us care about the hispanic people in other countries, but we (for the most part, of course) don't like the hispanic people here because most of them are illegal. Terms like "Mexican", "wetback", "beaner", "spick", and, less often, "greaser" or "cholo" are heard all the time here to refer to anyone who looks hispanic, even if they are not in fact from Mexico, here illegally, eat beans, or are even really hispanic. I ain't gonna lie, I'm one of the everybody that does it. You hear all kinds of things branching off of the terms listed above that describe various things, like:

Mexivan - a van that is overloaded with people, comes from the fact that many mexicans are often seen packed into a single vehicle
Mexican rodeo - specifically when Immigration busts a bunch of illegals, usually used to describe a large group of mexicans
Beaner bar - a restruant that mexicans frequent; also a mexican restruant
Mexikee - the part of Cherokee County where the most mexicans live. A blend of "Mexico" and "Cherokee"

It's pretty bad, but so is the illegal immigration problem.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#28 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 14:08

View PostLCPL Carrow, on 24 Apr 2007, 09:32, said:

But, as for my views on racism, well, I see more reverse racism from African-Americans directed at white Americans than I see racism directed at African-Americans from white Americans. The impression I get is that the white folks have moved on and accepted the black folks as equals in society, but the black folks still think that the white folks owe them something. This of course is a generalization, but I've just seen far too many black people with the attitude that white America owes them something somehow and that the white folks should have to pay for them so they can live comfortably without lifting a finger, and that call anything that doesn't go their way or that they don't like "racism" for me to lend much credibility at all to the racism "issue." In my part of America, it's only as much of an issue as the black people make it, and alot of white people (myself included) feel very, very strongly and are very highly offended by the fact that African-Americans can claim racism in any situation they want - no matter how ridiculous - and they almost automatically win. It doesn't matter how bad a black person is at a job, or how stupid they are, or how much trouble they cause, if you fire them they can claim it was racism and then the government makes you give them their job back AND you have to pay them a shitload of money. It's ridiculous.

This section QFT.

I know exactly what you mean when you say "they feel we still owe them something". Yes, because it's my fault your ancestors were slaves....right [/sarcasm]. I myself accept all races, but when someone acts like a moron to me, and it doesn't matter what race they are, I won't accept them.

Unfortunately today, you have to watch what you say as well, because *gasp* heaven forbid you offend someone. Being "politically correct" or having to be that is complete bullcrap. You shouldn't have to be. It's just those twits out there that are hyper sensitive because they automatically assume the worst of what you've said and don't think far enough ahead that "hey, maybe they didn't mean it that way". It's people like this that still keep racism alive.

It's true every race of people has those in the group that give their race a bad reputation. What needs to happen is that those people need to be tuned out. What they say is garbage, and it only insights more racism. The world would be a better place without biggots, but they exist, and so we need to find ways to deal with them.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#29 LCPL Carrow

• 753 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 14:31

Abso-friggin-lutely. Word-for-word dead on. That's what's up.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#30 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 17:54

Differences what makes the life fun and worth to live , if everyone same ; there shouldn't be a reason to talk with each other since everyone should be same , then everyone will be alone , when everyone is alone , there is no need to have anyone .

#31 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 23:53

I get something that's like the exact opposite, guess what? I've got whites praising eastern asians on a racial bases. Now that is very flattering, but it still is rascism.

I belong to a moderately weathy family in a rich city in a rich part of California. So most of the people in my neighborhood have more money than us, but we are still very wealthy relative to the rest of the world.

Most of the time, poeple play it on the safe side, staying away from rascism because it is more or less out of the question. However, I see alot of political and religous bashing with the same kind of bases.

The problem I have with rascism really is that there is no reason in the argument, and it seems a lot like religion to me. fact: both are based on a kind of "faith" ie. thre is no reason or logic involved in reaching the conclusions that they are forwarding.

But would it be rascist to say this?:

Fact: Japanese people were found to score 3% higher on IQ tests average than westerners.

Possibly rascist comment: Japanese people are smarter than whites. Therefore they are superior.

Edited by The Outsider, 25 April 2007 - 04:39.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#32 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:33

If you hadn't included that last part about the Japanese, it wouldn't sound as racist, but the statement could still be considered a racist comment.

Racism without reason = biggotry. Biggots pay little (if any) attention to the truth, nor do they need a real reason to hate a group of people.

Giving a compliment to someone on a racial basis can still be a racist comment. Let me explain: Say someone exclaims "Black people are great sprinters." While that may hold true, not everyone that's black is a great sprinter. It can also be seen as racist IF people read it is "the only reason you (meaning the person the comment is directed at) are a great sprinter is because you're black. If you were white or asian, you wouldn't be as good." Again, this is just an example, but it isn't outside the realm of reason that someone could really think this if that comment was made.

This is one of the many reasons racism is stupid. We're all different, and that's what makes the world interesting and fun. Seeing or doing the same thing over and over gets boring. Everyone is different and that fact makes living an experience, not just something we do.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#33 LCPL Carrow

• 753 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:53

A-MEN, brother!

[/southern baptist voice]
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users