Why are we here?

57 replies to this topic

#51 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 21:30

So to not believe in a god means to not believe in good things?
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#52 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 21:33

View PostHinata Prime, on 30 Apr 2007, 21:26, said:

Because, God created ALL that is good within the world! :D
Wow, girl, I can´t tell you how convincing this statement is...

Wait, I can. Not at all convincing.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#53 Anon45566

Amateur

• 142 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 21:49

Well, your choice! I believe with my whole heart in this! :D

#54 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:29

You know, here I would say "supply some factual evidence" but if you think about it, there is nothing to supply and her opinion is as just and convincing as mine or you all's.

Personally, I can't imagine existence without purpose. Tehre must be an answer to "why". All questions must have an answer... Why does a, because of b.

#55 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:52

ask to many questions and you'll start to find that your answering questions with questions. If all questions had solid answers we wouldn't be here trying to answer this unanswerable question. Ironically, I think I posted "42" earlier which is still the most solid answer I've ever heard. Perhaps we are here simply to search for the answer to the reason were here and thus we are fulfilling that purpose quite well in this thread.

Now I'm kinda rambling in a tired sleep deprived state.
no idea if this was ever intended in part or whole by Douglas Adams but:

4 is a number representing wholeness or completeness. Notice 4 branches of any mandala imagery(cross, greek cross, hindu and nazi swasticas). Usually some kind of diety is depicted upon the center. Also three parts usually represent supports (holy trinity ect.) with yourself as the final completing element. Humans often search for a desire to feel whole or complete.

2 is a number representing both a pair or couple as well as duality. A number representing both sides of all things, where a joining of two to form a balance. (See marriage, ying-yang, ect.)

Finally, we seem to desire to follow through the path of the hero journey. Freud and Young wrote some interesting things.

Also rambling like this is a great way to distract myself from finals.
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#56 Anon45566

Amateur

• 142 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 18:57

There is proof in many things that existence has a purpose.

For example: good vs. bad things

We are the masters of our own independent destinies. We determine if what we do is right or wrong.

It is important to recognize that there is indeed a purpose. ;)

#57 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 23:27

Good and bad depend on the person. Without people to think about good or bad, there is no good or bad. There'd only be existence.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#58 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 03 May 2007 - 23:34

@HinataPrime:Can you prove to me that there is good or bad?
I may think Hitler was bad but the neo-nazi idiots at my school don't.How am I any more right then them?
I may think killing is bad but a lot of emos don't.Again,how am I any more right then them?
I may think adultery is bad but a lot of Catholic priests did it anyways...

@Leatherneck:You are assuming that there is a question, maybe why? is not a question in this case but a statement.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users