Regret

13 replies to this topic

#1 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:52

As you go on in life what is the worst sentiment you will feel?

Regret.

If you're happy in life, even you may think twice about everything. You may think twice about an uncle of yours who has endured hardship throughout his life and saved nothing, and who in old age, loses his wife and possibly his son, and is forced to live on his own.

Ultimately you aren't responsible but it leaves you with a feeling that you should or could've done something.

Or maybe it could be a special girl, or maybe an occasion you've missed. Something that was within your power.

Maybe the worst of all is when you miss your blissful childhood you know? This sort of thing could usually stem from being disappointed of your current state of affairs.

Maybe I'm too young to be saying this considering I'm only 16, but then I've seen enough of this sort of thing.

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:58

Regret is a good thing, it helps us learn from our mistakes.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:52

No... learning from your mistakes is when you fail at something.

To regret something is almost entirely different. I know my share of regret. It is when you look back and realise that you could have done things differently and it could have or may have turned out better for you. I won't go into what caused my regret but it got so bad that I couldn't be happy for 2 whole years. Regret can really get to you if you let it.

Like you, AllStarZ, I'm 16 and I can definitely say that there is no way someone can be too young to feel regret.

I'm really messed up though because of regret. So messed up, in fact, that I can't help but regret every action I take. I can do something and regret having done it a few seconds later. I will always think "I shouldn't have done that." or "That could've been done better."
This goes for everything.

Regret can really mess you up.

I'm a bit of a poet too so I've written about the 2 years of regret I lived in that I also, ironically, regret.

Link: http://blog.myspace.com/sebcolt

And it's the poem named "Regret". Enjoy. Or not... It's quite depressing, actually.
Posted Image

#4 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:57

Regret is what nearly destroyed the life of some people who are.. very close to me. I can safely say that it can be one of the most irrational emotions you can endure, just like fear, but less confronting. Learning to suppress your regret, talk yourself into ignoring it, has been a quite big part of personal development for me.

P.S: The kind of regret I'm talking about will be unknown to most of you. So don't think I'm whining about everyday problems.

Edited by Mathias, 30 April 2007 - 16:37.

Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#5 Ektufall

Archiver / Dream addict

• 741 posts
  • Projects: Going nowhere slow ... With one more cup of tea

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:09

Regret is annoying but as I do for myself . Just let it be, what you have not done or could be doning but you wasn't doing it when you could. Time is enough to do at least 20 % of what you have not done yet ,your life can end every moment but you still will be doing some things before leaving this paralell :) I am naive 20 years young man who are getting back his optimism when so many things are slipt from my fingers ..

Edited by Ektufall, 30 April 2007 - 13:54.

If you have something to contribute for the Shockwave archive please share or point me to it !
Posted Image
[indent][indent] [/indent][/indent]Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd greatest gratitude goes for Kid and Sic ! ;)

#6 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 13:45

Regret is a pretty good thing for me .

#7 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 30 April 2007 - 14:21

Regret, for me, is a reminder of what you should and should not do in the future.

#8 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 15:40

Regret is nothing against the feeling of a part of your soul beeing ripped out of your entity and laying dead before your mind to be examined by yourself...
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#9 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 30 April 2007 - 16:54

Regret fucked me up for two years of my life.
when i was about 10

#10 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 30 April 2007 - 18:06

Regret is indeed a powerful and negative emotion, but it can and should be used in positive ways to help you learn from your mistakes. "Well, at least I know what NOT to do next time..."

Everybody regrets things, with me it's usually not taking advantage of opportunities, or not recognizing those opportunities until they're gone. That said, I don't let it dominate my life. There's too much to see in front of you for you to look back for very long.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#11 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 20:54

I believe it's safe to say that everyone has regrets, but it's how you act afterwards that sets you apart. Don't live in regret for what "could have been". Instead look forward and remember what not to do, and what to do, or what you ought to do.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 21:19

Regret isn't bad if it leads to improvement. I see life as a learning experience, and if I sink down into regret without learning from it, it's a wasted opportunity. Something happened, I mourn, remember, learn, improve, and move on. Or at least I try to.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#13 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:33

To quote Mimi from the musical Rent "Forget regret, or life is yours to miss"

I support this statement. If you are always looking back and questioning your moves, how are you going to get ahead? If you worry about regret in the stock market, well then you are no stock trader my friend.

Our most successful men in the world managed to give it all and not look back. We should follow suit.

#14 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:01

Regret is like a bad dream. It can kick some sense into you but don't dwell on all your regrets that's like being dragged down into the Abyss.

Edited by Overdose, 01 May 2007 - 12:01.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users