Cheating on your exams.

30 replies to this topic

#1 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:14

So what do you guys think. is cheating on your exams a bad thing.

Exams today for the most part are not about learning but more about regurgitating information you basically crammed into your head instead of actually understanding the material. It just doesn't encourage learning but rather turning your head into a portable hard drive.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#2 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:30

Well IMo it isn´t a really really never ever dare to do bad thing, but it´s not fair to those who actually succeed with skill or effort. Also, the more people cheating in exams, the further their value gets undermined so that in the end you gain nothing from it.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#3 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:23

bah i only cheat on exams from subjects which i wont use knowledge from (like chemistry or geometry) although i rarely suceed in that cuz im stuck in the corner alone with 2 total idiots in front of me

Edited by TehKiller, 01 May 2007 - 09:24.

Posted Image

#4 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:51

Never ever.
I don´t cheat in exams because:
a) It kinda addicts
b)unfair
c)for what, if I understand the matter...

#5 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:14

In today's world, it's sink or swim. You really have to fight to survive. 'Cheating' is simply using a floatation ring instead of kicking the life out of your legs to stay afloat.

If you know and understand the subject, then there is no need to cheat. If you've learnt it properly, then there is no need to cheat.
The way I see it, 'cheating' shouldn't be encouraged but it isn't wrong in my view. All it means is that you haven't learnt it all properly.
Posted Image

#6 Ektufall

Archiver / Dream addict

• 741 posts
  • Projects: Going nowhere slow ... With one more cup of tea

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:04

The process of preparing to cheating makes learning more quicker and in the end you don't need to cheat at all because you remeber what you wrote on your leg ,little piece of paper and on other things or ways you can cheat .. It's good to prepere to cheat and then you even have no need to do it .. Thats what I do all my life :D

Edited by Ektufall, 01 May 2007 - 12:01.

If you have something to contribute for the Shockwave archive please share or point me to it !
Posted Image
[indent][indent] [/indent][/indent]Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd greatest gratitude goes for Kid and Sic ! ;)

#7 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:56

It's only wrong if you get caught.

Simple as that.
Posted Image

#8 CoLT

Cuboning!

• Project Team
  • 1611 posts
  • Projects: Untitled, Generation X, March of the Cursed Reich (Working Title)

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:23

THere are worse things to be caught cheating on :D
Posted Image

#9 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 15:13

If its a REALY important exam they yes cheating is bad , but if it is only a exam that doesent count for anything then its not that important.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#10 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 16:42

When I went to school I never realy cheated. Maybe I tried it once, but never again. Reason is simple: Because I go there to learn, not to learn how to cheat.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#11 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 01 May 2007 - 17:42

But what if you are getting taught something that is of no use to you. something that you will never need in your life.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#12 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 17:54

thats why i cheat....how the god damn hell with chemistry help me with computers? or biology? its not like im ever gonna use knowledge from those subjects (ok except maybe for biology)
Posted Image

#13 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 01 May 2007 - 17:59

i use every thing tho XD but agree with eve

#14 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 01 May 2007 - 18:37

Cheating is also fun. Like the adrenaline that rushes through your veins. The fear of getting caught and the constant test of your skills.

On my teens I loved skipping the lunch line, because it required ninja tactics when there's around 10-30 people in front of you as hungry as you are and will fight to the death when their position is threatned.

I've been caught before on both occasions but I'll honestly never be able to stop. It's just too fun. Of course I don't cheat when I don't have to, unless I'm playing some board game and blatantly cheat (and give hints that I'm doing it) so I can annoy the hell out of people.

My fame preceeds me with my friends and family, so I use this a tool to get their attention outside the game and further secure my victory. By being a cheater gives you certain gifts even when the act's not commited. :dope:

But when it comes to cheating online games I completely despise the act as it requires no skill (most cheaters just download stuff to exploit the game) and it's easy to cheat in a game there's no people constantly eyeing you and doesn't require a sly and skillful hand.

People that cheat on online games are like petty thiefs.

Edited by Overdose, 01 May 2007 - 18:38.

Posted Image

#15 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:12

tell me about it....i despise cheating but as people know i like to cheat in some board games (which i rarely due) they always accuse me as a cheater and they get frustrated
Posted Image

#16 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:19

View PostTehKiller, on 1 May 2007, 19:54, said:

thats why i cheat....how the god damn hell with chemistry help me with computers? or biology? its not like im ever gonna use knowledge from those subjects (ok except maybe for biology)
Chemistry and biology are connected. And, I do hope you know that without chemistry your computer wouldn't do anything.

In reply to the topic question, I believe cheating is wrong. I never have and I never will. I remember this particular test when the teacher had the answering sheet on his desk and I was sitting near his desk (and so was my friend). I did not read the sheet even though I may have been able to. My friend did look at that answer sheet (well, the part we could see from under the teacher's bag). Guess the end result? I passed with a 7 out of 10 and she failed by a 5 out of 10. I believe you should pass in honesty, knowing it was you who did that, not some other classmate and not some book (assuming you're not allowed to use one). I think cheating is unfair. Of course, it is up to the individual person and their own choice, but I do not support it in any way. If you pass by cheating then you didn't really do well yourself.

#17 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:36

i meant biology and computers....and i believe its science or physics (correct me if i typed the word wrong) to do with computers
Posted Image

#18 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:44

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 1 May 2007, 13:42, said:

But what if you are getting taught something that is of no use to you. something that you will never need in your life.

That shouldn't matter. Cheating is cheating, it's as simple as that. It's your fault if you didn't study for an exam/test/quiz. Sure, you may never use the material taught to you, but then you never know. In high school, your grades matter because colleges will look at them. In Europe it's a bit different, but the goal is the same: the better you do, the higher your chances of an institution of higher learning accepting you. If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. Suck it up, admit you don't know something, and move on. Don't stoop to cheating because if you cheat on your test, what's to stop you from cheating on other things?

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#19 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:47

@TehKiller
Biologically enhanced computers aren´t science fiction anymore.

You´re in school, university or whatever not to train your dickhead to one specific topic which you never leave again. Fine, if you want to narrow your mind like this have fun, but at least own up to it.

Edited by Golan, 01 May 2007 - 19:48.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#20 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:48

View PostTehKiller, on 1 May 2007, 21:36, said:

i meant biology and computers....and i believe its science or physics (correct me if i typed the word wrong) to do with computers
Science is physics and chemistry as well as some other disciplines.. it is physics and chemistry that make your computer work :dope:.

#21 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 20:22

Exams are usually total bullshit. I think cheating on them is the only way to learn from them. Being a Machiavellan, I believe that the ends justify the means, and if I cheat on my exams to get into a nice college, then so be it.

#22 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:43

Imo its a good thing since exams overall no more than a nonsense .

#23 Sic

Veteran

• Project Team
  • 5507 posts
  • Projects: NLS 2D Artist, Code 13 Cameo Artist

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:59

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 1 May 2007, 19:42, said:

I cheat the shit outta the book and the people on history class tests. It's so fun to be as careful as a cat and just when the teacher turns the back you hit the shit and pull the book out. It's adrenaline, as Overdose said. It's just too fun :dope:.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#24 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:04

Here's another question: What would you consider to be cheating? If you and your mates get together and work out how to do a part of an assignment, is that academic dishonesty?

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#25 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 19:27

in my opinion, using anything other than your brain, a pen and paper in an exam is cheating, unless its a Maths or Graphic design paper. But i don't like how Exams work, Its more of a memory game. And i don't like memory games.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users