Posted 17 July 2007 - 18:18

Get a hardware firewall.

Posted Image

#27 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 19:33

sygate or comodo.

Edited by Thinker, 17 July 2007 - 19:34.

#28 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:47

thx.

which one would you say was better?

or should i get both?

Posted Image

#29 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:36

in my personal opinion i would say non. If you are worried about hackers then its no use. they can get in even with the firewall up, the only thing it does is delay them by 5 minutes to bypass it. the system load, the grief in configuring other devices is just not worth it. Unless you live in college dorm or on a office network a firewall is seriously not needed.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#30 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:56

Got any programmes that do nothing except prevent the computer from shutting down, unless the programme is manually exited by the user? (I'm sick of going to the bathroom and coming back to find ~a dozen or so unbookmarked tabs gone because XP updated and it just HAD to reboot in five minutes.....)

#31 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 14:22

Simple Fix

Step 1.
Posted Image

Step 2.
Posted Image

Repeat Step two every last Friday of each month.

Automatic updating is a bit retarded. the damn thing can even break your system by downloading crappy drivers (my wifi card got knocked out like that). The chance of getting hit because of critical security flaws is pretty remote for the average jo. setting aside 30 minutes in a month is a smarter idea and this also ensures that automatic update doesn't tax your system with additional loads.
Posted Image

#32 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 21 July 2007 - 17:29

Thanks, hadn't even thought of that >_> Oh well.

#33 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:14

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 19 Jul 2007, 22:36, said:

in my personal opinion i would say non. If you are worried about hackers then its no use. they can get in even with the firewall up, the only thing it does is delay them by 5 minutes to bypass it. the system load, the grief in configuring other devices is just not worth it. Unless you live in college dorm or on a office network a firewall is seriously not needed.
warbs I recomend comodo the most also potp crappy advice I know your an adminastrator an all but thats just bad advice firewalls are very useful and needed they not only protect you against hackers but also the internet It blocks off certain internet programs trying to accses your computer and tells you when a program is trying to accsess the internet But if your a wiz at computers and i dont mean just alittle smart i mean you know how to accsess the registry tweak with it add things I mean everything. if you dont I recomend downloading a firewall its one the four main things you should always have to protect your computer they are anti-spyware firewall anti-virus and anti-malware if you have money to spend I recomend nod32 as ant-ivirus spywaredoctor as ant-ispyware and comodo firewall and commodo anti-malware however comodo is free and nod32 and spyware doctor are not. You also get free updates from comodo incase you didnt know. also dont use comodo with other firewalls one becuase you dont need to becuase its leak free two it will hog up unecessary resources.

Edited by Thinker, 22 July 2007 - 02:15.

#34 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:23

View PostThinker, on 21 Jul 2007, 22:14, said:

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 19 Jul 2007, 22:36, said:

warbs I recomend comodo the most also potp crappy advice I know your an adminastrator an all but thats just bad advice firewalls are very useful and needed they not only protect you against hackers but also the internet It blocks off certain internet programs trying to accses your computer and tells you when a program is trying to accsess the internet But if your a wiz at computers and i dont mean just alittle smart i mean you know how to accsess the registry tweak with it add things I mean everything. if you dont I recomend downloading a firewall its one the four main things you should always have to protect your computer they are anti-spyware firewall anti-virus and anti-malware if you have money to spend I recomend nod32 as ant-ivirus spywaredoctor as ant-ispyware and comodo firewall and commodo anti-malware however comodo is free and nod32 and spyware doctor are not. You also get free updates from comodo incase you didnt know. also dont use comodo with other firewalls one becuase you dont need to becuase its leak free two it will hog up unecessary resources.

Please, It's called a period. "." is your friend. Also paragraphs. It makes your posts seem less like the Berlin Wall of words.
Writing Thread

#35 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:50

nightshadow its called "spam" its your worst enemy so dont do it stay on the topic also sorry for sloppy writing ill make sure to put a period at the end"." Also ill make my writing look more neat, I also forgot about the nod32 trial for 40 days look it up and you'll find it.

#36 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:57

I'm not really spamming, I already made my comments, but when I read your comments it's just that it's a wall of words and it is too hard to read them.
Writing Thread

#37 Vaughan

Professional

• 390 posts
  • Projects: Resident Knicker.

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:12

Nice list, Prophet. But Vista still pwns XP. :P

~V.
Posted Image

-Tha' rewf iz awn fiyah-

#38 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:53

View PostVaughan, on 22 Jul 2007, 8:42, said:

Nice list, Prophet. But Vista still pwns XP. :P

~V.

It will once Service Pack 1 gets out, But until then XP is the way to go. Rather Wait for Windows 7 (Formerly Codenamed Vienna) which should be out in 3 years.

Also in terms of Firewalls i still stand by my judgment. If you have a good enough anti virus software then it should protect you from any nasty software to execute in the first place. Unless you are in a networked environment Firewall are more trouble then they are worth.
Posted Image

#39 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:00

updated the list. added wallpaper changer powertoy to the list. once again i cant figure why the hell MS never promote these good software.
Posted Image

#40 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 19:21

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 29 Jul 2007, 5:00, said:

updated the list. added wallpaper changer powertoy to the list. once again i cant figure why the hell MS never promote these good software.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

I wish they would, but anything with customization or options is apparently too complicated for the average windows user. I'm feeling pessimistic today, and a little part of me dies every time I have to explain in triplicate to somebody how to access the hard drive by going into "My Computer" and clicking on it.
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#41 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 14:52

If you want all codec's you need in one sleek package that is easily removed try k-lite mega codec pack http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

I have used it for many years and never have I needed to download anything else. And its free.

And for firewalls: sygate if you can find it, because the company was bought by symantech...

#42 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 15:25

Codec packs i avoid because they have tendency to break the system and are a bitch to remove. only in very very rare cases do you have to hunt down codecs but in most cases players can download them on their own if needed. Also i already listed VLC, it has a bunch of its own built in codecs that dont mess up system files so you can try to access rare format with that.
Posted Image

#43 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:09

Don't suppose you'd know of a program I can use to put small 'countdown' messages at the corner of the screen? I need to keep track of when games are coming out O_o

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#44 Jamie^

Veteran

• 408 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:21

How about putting DAEMON Tools in the list?
A work in progress, leave me alone.

#45 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 14:46

As i said i mostly kept basic tools in the list. Daemon tools if not handled properly can really f up your system. Also you dont need a CD/DVD emulator unless you plan to do you know what.

View PostRaiDK, on 9 Sep 2007, 11:39, said:

Don't suppose you'd know of a program I can use to put small 'countdown' messages at the corner of the screen? I need to keep track of when games are coming out O_o
Google is good
http://www.timeleft.info/
run on your own risk. i haven't tested it.
Posted Image

#46 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 15:45

how about Alcohol 120....its a burning rom/CD-DVD emulator and its pretty much safe.Also easy to use
Posted Image

#47 Rade

Veteran

• 443 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 17:22

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 10 Jul 2007, 15:52, said:

11) Irfanview
http://www.irfanview.com/
An Image Viewer that also support Video/Text/Audio playback. It also support batch Conversion.

what about XnView its way better than any other image viewer that I've tried, tab interface like firefox, it can open more than 400 file formats, also it can open audio, video, archives, and it works on any operating system you can think of.

http://perso.orange....endownload.html
Posted Image

#48 Prophet of the Pimps

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 17:50

adding that to the list. That one is good.

Alcohol 120 is not free.
Posted Image

#49 laserjet

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 297 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed - CC Untitled - CnC Revoultion

Posted 09 September 2007 - 18:28

Here is another good anti spyware scanner similar to Ad -Aware free. Its' called A-Squared Free by Emsisoft. I use both programs as second and third anti spyware scanners. it's available directly from downloads .com the link is as follows, http://www.download.com it is on that main page featured with avg free in the middle of the page

Edited by laserjet, 09 September 2007 - 18:33.

Posted Image Imagination is the best Science

#50 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:49

I tried Timeleft, it can only display one countdown at a time :-/

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users