[Suggestion][Mission] Endgame in Sarajevo

No replies to this topic

#1 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 20:02

That's right, I'm done with my latest concept for a mission map. It's the remake of the GDI Sarajevo mission from CnC3 which I already mentioned elsewhere. I have two reasons to post this here, the first one being to present my idea and get some feedback, the second one finding a potentially interested mapper. Since you guys are the l33test I could find, the guild gets exclusive copyrights for this. Once the map is done (hopefully) all I want in return is my name to appear in its credits next to the words idea & concept. The rest is all yours if you're interested.

Long story short: Here's all the important on the actual map (which is not really short)
It's essentially a remake of the GDI Sarajevo mission: The Siege of Temple Prime. I decided to remake it because the actual mission is poor in my opinion. The map is huge, yet empty and the Nod base is nothing but a medieval style fort which is assailable from 4 sides. To make it easier to find, it's in the middle of a crater in the vast wastelands that used to be Sarajevo. Boring as fuck. With the aid of MentalAss who gave me a few information on the OLD layout from the TD finale - the first siege of the temple - I tried to make a concept inspired by the original and more challenging than the EA version.

The map:
Posted Image
nifty, huh? :P
Here's an explanation:
The brown stuff is cliffs and I already drew their layout and shape to make things easier. I even drew what I want to be huge eyecandy Tiberium-mountains, visible in green. The blue stuff is a river, the yellow area is what used to be a city, areas marked in green are tiberium fields and the red lines are Nod defensive positions which include walls (small and big ones depending on place, more on this later). Lastly, the grey blocks are bridges.

I'll now describe the placemarks:

1. This is where you start. All you have is a GDI Commando, some Zonetroopers, Pitbulls and APCs. On the left, there is a river crossed by a broken bridge. more on this later. Your first objective is to wipe out the Nod forces between 2 and 3. They'll be composed of basic infantry, light vehicles, light walls at the makrs and very few light defences. Once the area around 2 and 3 is clear of hostiles, a GDI MCV will spawn at point 2 and deploy at point 3 where it will become controlable for you. You can now build a base at point 3. Prepare to defend.

2. MCV spawn

3. small Nod emplacement, target of the MCV

You'll have some time to build up a base and harvest Tiberium from the near fields. After a few minutes, Nod will start attacking you with light vehicles and infantry coming across the river by the bridges. At this point the broken bridge near 1 will be fixed by a Nod Technician, opening the road for more attacks against you.

4. This is a small yet well secured Nod base on a mountain top, accessible from two defended entrances. Except regular base buildings, it will house the Tiberium Weapons Lab whic henables Nods Vapour Bomb and other respective powers. Blast it or - if you want to use said powers yourself - take it. Whatever you do, you shouldn't ignore it because these powers can be devastating and taking out the forces guarding the lab might be helpful too.

As you advance through the ruins of Sarajevo - yellow area - you'll come across some Nod militants hiding in the leftover buildings. At position II, there'll be a small enemy base camp. As you move on to cross the river by the southern bridge, your way will be blocked by a road block at position 5, forcing you to move around the cliff. Expect some resistence there.

On a side note, at position I, there'll be another small camp which sends infantry agaisnt your base from time to time, so you should keep an eye o nthe place and take it it early enough. Having Shadows at the backdoor whilst your eyes are with your tanks at the other end of the map isn't nice.

You should now find yourself on the right side of the river, in a smaller part of ex-Sarajevo. Other than another Nod camp and garrisoned houses, you'll also find two ways here. the obvious way to the east brings you to the front door of Nods main base of operations at position 6. This place will be a fortress, literally. The defensive lines will have everything, from turrets to Obelisks and it will feature those heavy ass fortress walls - with an entrance of course as none of the walls will entirely be closed. There must be an open part in the middle around which the defences are placed.
Alternatively, you may take the southern route which leads you through a deadly tib field but it doesn't expose you to enemy fire that much. Regardless, you will run into defences at the end of this narrow valley but if you penetrate them, you'll be deeper inside the actual base. Both ways have their pros and cons. The valley will be crossed by a high bidge used by RPGs to fire down on you. It also links two parts of the base.

Position IV will be only accessable by air transport and it houses 3 Tiberium Spikes held by Nod.

After you broke through any of the entrances, you'll be somewhere near 7 which his another part of Nods monsterbase. From here, you'll be advancing westwards, fighting your way through more defences and buildings. As you cross the bridge there, you'll be on a small island (8). This island will house the ruins of the old Temple from TD. It will be eyecandy without an actual purpose but it will add some continuity to the map as it emphasises the fact that it's still Sarajevo. The ruin should b ecomposed of rubble and half-broken Nod-style civ-buidlings.
At the end of the island, there'll be another bridge that finally leads to position 9. This place houses the new Temple and it'S defended in such a way that it's absolutely inassailable since you're not supposed to attack it by normal means. The Temple structure wil not stand free, it will be partly stuck in a nearby mountain to show that it's much bigger than just the overground citadel.

So you might wonder how to crack this nut. Well...a, b and c are the locations of 3 ion disruption generators which prevent an ion strike on the main compound. Your objective as you move through the base is: Destroying the 3 generators. Once the third one is down, the base will be unprotected and you get to blast the new temple with the IC just like in the campaign. To make things more difficult, the field will only collapse once ALL generators are down which means that you have to destroy the entire main base without the IC. Don't worry though, everything outside the main compound (the city and everything outside the cliffs) will be vulnerable. Nods behaviour in this mission should be very defensive. Think of a massive turtler here. All they'll do is sending hordes of light vehicles, infantry and SOME heavier units...in return, they will defend fiercely. It should be a massive base which can only be cracked with a combo of air and groundfoces. Its also important that the cliffs can't just be skipped by jumpjets. A solution has to be found here as I DON'T want the player to be able to hop across the mountain near 8 and blow the generator. It must be a massive siege.

The design:

Not much to say here.
It's a yellow zone with some heavy tib-infestation therefore the giant tib crystals. Nod let them grow freely so some areas look more like red zones. Most of the map should be yellow zonish though. Make it rural, mediterranean countryside with mountains, dry ground but also some grass and trees. The city should be war torn and abandonned. Some buildings are still intact and will be used by Nod infantry, some others will be intact for eye candy purposes. Regarding their architecture, think of the Croatia mission. Croatia generally describes what parts of the maps should look like, especially the green ones with less Tiberium.
The primary Nod compound in the south-southeast as well as the base around the Tib Lab should have proper pavement, roads, infrastructure and buildings arranged nicely. Different ground textures underneath the actual buildings and containers to make the place look busy and alive. You may use elements from existing Nod missions here as it's much easier than putting it into words.

That'S all for the moment.

Anyone interested?

Edited by Revantheemperor, 03 November 2007 - 15:43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users