Map ideas

136 replies to this topic

#1 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:07

Hey All You out There! I'm Trying To become a map maker for The Shockwave Team. I need ideas for maps!
For The Maps I would like no ideas about cheat maps or anything that will give one side of the map an advantage... I want them to be equal, other than that all ideas are welcome and you will be accounted for in the maps creation for the suggestion!

Short Stuff
(Website Name:Runeturtle)

Edited by Short Stuff, 20 February 2006 - 06:03.

Posted Image

#2 Ironside

U.S. Military Strong Man

• 1264 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:03

Maybe something like the Bay of Pigs map from Yuri's Revenge.
http://www.liddyshow.com/ More than you ever need to know about my beliefs and views.

Posted Image
Signature made by Crusada.

View PostRumpullpus, on 22 May 2006, 20:55, said:

ironside is my hero!
i say we just wipe the asshole of the world with nukes and make it nice and clean.

A legacy is not created by the deeds you have done in your life, but by how long it takes mankind to recover from them.
If you can see me I sure as hell see you, if you can't see me you are in extreme danger and may be about to die.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#3 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:14

Ironside, on 20 Feb 2006, 02:03, said:

Maybe something like the Bay of Pigs map from Yuri's Revenge.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the idea but there have been way to many versions of the bay pf pigs map made for zero hour. I would like some thing a little more creative (as in your own ideas)
Good Idea though.
Posted Image

#4 Ironside

U.S. Military Strong Man

• 1264 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:29

O.K. How about a map where the bases are in sinkholes, if you turtle in the sinkhole your dead. You have to take the high ground around your base defend it.
http://www.liddyshow.com/ More than you ever need to know about my beliefs and views.

Posted Image

ironside is my hero!
i say we just wipe the asshole of the world with nukes and make it nice and clean.

A legacy is not created by the deeds you have done in your life, but by how long it takes mankind to recover from them.
If you can see me I sure as hell see you, if you can't see me you are in extreme danger and may be about to die.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#5 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:41

There is a remake of bay of pigs for generals (only works on Vanilla sides)

Posted Image

#6 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:42

Ok that has to be one of the best ideas for a map i have heard in a long while That will be difficult to render but will be fun and interesting to play. Good idea
Posted Image

#7 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:43

I'm going with the sink hole idea for now but if any one comes up with any other ideas post me Rember think outside the box
Posted Image

#8 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:43

neat do you perhaps have any screenshots of examples of other maps you have made before as we could use some people who have time to make maps for us :read:
Posted Image

#9 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 18:08

Right now i have all my maps saved to another computer i'll get them off soon and post the screen shots you should see some soon. if that takes to long ill just make up a new map for you
(Wouldn't mind that sink hole idea that would make an awesome map.)

From The little man to the big hunter
Posted Image

#10 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 19:31

i like maps with lots of buildings like citys mabe you should make one were the map is a city and have spaces between the buildings to put a barracks and stuff.
another great sig from cattman
Posted Image
Posted Image
92% of people play as USA or China. If you are part of the 8% that plays as the GLA then put this in your signature.
you cant kill what you cant see :p

#11 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 20:39

Rumpullpus, on 20 Feb 2006, 14:31, said:

i like maps with lots of buildings like citys mabe you should make one were the map is a city and have spaces between the buildings to put a barracks and stuff.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting idea but the battles wouldnt be as fun it would be better if you used infantry on the entire map there wouldn't be much room for you to use armored units
Thanks for idea though

Edited by Short Stuff, 20 February 2006 - 23:11.

Posted Image

#12 BillyChaka

The word is law. The law is love.

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts
  • Projects: stayin' alive

Posted 20 February 2006 - 21:33

That's what nukes are for! Leveling whole blocks!

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

[19:11] <+IonCannnon> Basically, billychaka is a heartless bastard.

#13 Ironside

U.S. Military Strong Man

• 1264 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 22:20

I would like to see some maps that give us turtlers a reason not to turtle. If you want turtlers to get aggressive you need to give us an incentive. All weak defences will give us is a reason to stick with certain generals, or change mods. The answer lies in map design.

Posted Image

ironside is my hero!

#14 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 22:32

i just like city maps because it forces people to be creative in their tactics they cant just run up with 50 tanks and stuff because of all the buildings. and i love to nuke the whole city so fun to watch the civilians and cars fly into the air.
Posted Image
Posted Image
92% of people play as USA or China. If you are part of the 8% that plays as the GLA then put this in your signature.

#15 Ironside

U.S. Military Strong Man

• 1264 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 22:39

A fellow sadistic, I'M NOT ALONE!!!!! Nothing beets crushing an uprising....village and all. :read:

Posted Image

ironside is my hero!

#16 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 23:08

Ok ive come to a discission... I'm makeing both a city map and a sink hole map

Both will be well designed and will be out in a couple weeks. Ill post them on here for people to play and when their done they can post their opinion. the map that gets the best opinions will be the one im going with.
Keep throwing me map ideas in the mean time
Posted Image

#17 Babylon

I hate custom titles.

• 2245 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave Balance, ShockWave Tournament

Posted 20 February 2006 - 23:51

Nice, a fellow mapper.

If your making a city map, I've got some tips for you. Maybe you can use 'em:
First, you should think about the slower pcs, for even at my reasionably fast machine, big cities often slow the game down. Also, don't make (a lot of) cars driving around for this will kill infantry and it's very annoying.

Maybe you can make an "island hopping map". A lot of islands on a map, connected by bridges. Some islands feature bunkers, war fortresses, tech buildings etc. The players will have to fight their way pass the islands to reach the opponent and new supplies.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Rumpullpus

Fighter Ace

• 2226 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 00:22

ya i know that some of the city maps with the builder going heavy on the building is fun but it starts to lag and also island hopping maps are fun too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:30

Hey, can you also make SinglePlayer-Maps like we see them in the campaigns?
If yes, I'd have some ideas, but tell us first if you could do that :read:

#20 SomeGuy

Regular

• 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:14

hey! i know this has already been rejected but i'll try again: how about making a map on the moon.
all the land ius grey with some darker grey. then a little hills and stuff.
you can also add civilian structures like the Baikonur missile at each base representing your rocketship, water/oil tanks for oxygen and maybe a few tech oil derricks

#21 The_Hunter

-

• Gold Member
  • 12402 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:38

SomeGuy, on 21 Feb 2006, 10:14, said:

hey! i know this has already been rejected but i'll try again: how about making a map on the moon.
all the land ius grey with some darker grey. then a little hills and stuff.
you can also add civilian structures like the Baikonur missile at each base representing your rocketship, water/oil tanks for oxygen and maybe a few tech oil derricks
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oil on the moon :read:

but you should realize that this would require new terrain textures too which is going to be quite some workd if you want the map to look nice
Posted Image

#22 SomeGuy

Regular

• 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:42

you wont really need new textures, you can use the already ingame grey tiles like cement and such

#23 BillyChaka

The word is law. The law is love.

• Member Test
  • 4358 posts
  • Projects: stayin' alive

Posted 21 February 2006 - 20:00

There has already been a discussion on moon maps. Besides, why have a map on the moon!? That like, doesn't make sense.

Posted Image

Ion Cannon in IRC said:

[19:11] <+IonCannnon> Basically, billychaka is a heartless bastard.

#24 Babylon

I hate custom titles.

• 2245 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave Balance, ShockWave Tournament

Posted 21 February 2006 - 20:13

This is an old 2vs2 idea I made for myself. Anybody who likes it, is allowed to build it for I've got a better idea myself.

Posted Image

As you can see, it s a map for SW1.0. You should have a second thought about the warfortresses, though. If you want to change something else, go ahead.

When someone uses this, please post it in this topic, so everybody else knows and we won't get two about the same maps.

Edited by Babylon, 21 February 2006 - 20:14.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 21 February 2006 - 20:15

Looking good. And hell there's a lot of derricks... to BLOW!! lol j/k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users