Riddles!

35 replies to this topic

#1 Ellipsis

<Custom title available>

• 806 posts
  • Projects: Co-Leader of Zero Hour:Unleashed

Posted 02 October 2007 - 19:57

Heres a riddle...
1). You have a 3 gallon container and a 5 gallon container and a river by you. You have to get 4 gallons somehow. How do you do it?

2). Police found a man murdered in his mansion, on Sunday morning. They interviewed these suspects...

The cook was cooking.
The wife was sleeping.
The butler was cleaning the closet.
The maid was getting the mail.
And the gardener was picking vegetables.

After these interviews, the police instantly cuffed the murderer. Who was it and how do you know?

3). How can you spell "candy" with only two letter?

4). A man was murdered in a dome. The police interviewed these suspects....
A man was walking his dog.
A man was talking on a pay phone.
Another man was standing in a corner.
And the last guy..... it doesn't really matter.

Who did it and how did you know?

You could post your own riddles.
Posted Image
Thanks for the sig and avatar, 'Dr.

#2 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 02 October 2007 - 20:37

Possible answer to #2: The maid did it.
Posted Image

#3 Ellipsis

<Custom title available>

• 806 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:10

Why?
Posted Image

#4 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:11

How often does a maid, instead of a butler, get the mail? Maids are traditionally inside, while butlers function both inside and outside.
Posted Image

#5 Ellipsis

<Custom title available>

• 806 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:14

Nope. It's a different reason. Good guess though. That's what I thought at first.

HINT: Read carefully!
Posted Image

#6 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:21

We all know mail doesn't come on sundays.

Now for #1, you fill the 5 gallon container.
Pour the entire container into the 3 gallon container.

This leaves you with 2 gallons in the 5 gallon container and 3 in the 3 gallon container. Dump the 3 gallons out of the 3 gallon container. This leaves you with 2 gallons. Dump those 2 gallons into the 3 gallon container. Fill the 5 gallon container again, leaving you with 7 gallons, 2 in the 3 gallon and 5 in the 5 gallon. Then you simply pour the 5 gallon container into the 3 gallon container until the 3 gallon container is filled; transferring one gallon from the 5 container to the 3 container, leaving you with 4 gallons in the 5 gallon and 3 gallons in the 3 gallon container. THen dump the 3 gallon container and you are left with 4 gallons.

The candy one is a trick question. You spell it with "C and Y", note the AND being a word and not a letter.

Not sure on the last one? I'm thinking the guy in a corner, because domes are circular, but I don't see how that would work out, it doesn't seem reasonable enough.

Edited by Boidy, 02 October 2007 - 21:26.

#7 Ellipsis

<Custom title available>

• 806 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:26

Excellent! You got both right! :P Can you try to do the others?
Posted Image

#8 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 21:32

My old teachers used to give us such riddles to advance our logical thinking ability. :P

#9 Ellipsis

<Custom title available>

• 806 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 22:22

Cool. So you should know them.
Posted Image

#10 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:26

Erm, I already put my shots up there :P The post was edited at the same tiem you posted before your most recent post.

#11 Kyouko

Formally Iron_Golem

• Member Test
  • 721 posts
  • Projects: To kill any and all conversations

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:32

@#2: The maid did it. Theres no Mail on Sundays

Edit: Damn, Boidy already said it

Edited by iron_golem, 03 October 2007 - 10:34.

#12 FaithNoMore

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 18:32

Greetings, i've been lurking around these forums a long time and no i finally decided to register.

Why??? because of the riddle? maybe, it just caught my eye. Anyway,

My suggestion is the cook.

Because either they are extreme rich, or lazy, or both, but i find it very suspicous
that a cook is cooking on a sunday morning...(except breakfast, which leads me to lazy)

Ahh and sorry for the sloppy english, it isn't my mother tongue!

MfG

#13 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 06 October 2007 - 23:23

View PostFaithNoMore, on 6 Oct 2007, 14:32, said:

Greetings, i've been lurking around these forums a long time and no i finally decided to register.

Why??? because of the riddle? maybe, it just caught my eye. Anyway,

My suggestion is the cook.

Because either they are extreme rich, or lazy, or both, but i find it very suspicous
that a cook is cooking on a sunday morning...(except breakfast, which leads me to lazy)

Ahh and sorry for the sloppy english, it isn't my mother tongue!

MfG

Tis already been answered but welcome to the forums!
All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#14 FaithNoMore

• 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:52

Oh, sorry then. It was because he said Quote:Redeemer You got both right...

But there are 4 Riddles, ah wtf Sorry

#15 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:29

welcome. a riddle. a couple just got married and the wife gets pregnant and desires for white deer meat. so the husband searches everywhere and finds the meat. the wife eats the meat. the next day, she gave birth to a child. why did they name their child Emily?

ps:answer is lame
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#16 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:35

You are travelling in a dark forest when, suddenly, on a dark and stormy night, you are captured by the forest people. They keep looking at you and saying to each other, "It be a smart person!"

You are marched to their village and seated in the square. Before you are blindfolded, you notice two other lucky souls seated in chairs facing you. Then you are told that the forest people king is about to die. He previously sent messengers throughout the land seeking the 3 smartest people. You are one, and two others have also been found. He now gives you all a task to see which one is the wisest.

He tells you, "I have seated you in an equilateral triangle so that each of you faces the other two. While you are blindfolded I will paint a dot on each of your foreheads. Each dot will be red or green so that there can be any combination of red and green dots, for example, 1 red and 2 greens, or all red, etc. When I remove the blindfolds each of you must raise your hand if you see _any_ green dots, i.e. 1 or 2 dots. As soon as you have figured out what color your own dot is, tell me how you knew."

So he paints a green dot on all three foreheads. When the blindfolds are removed, all three hands go up. After a long pause, the wisest person, (that's you!) say, "Your highness, I have a green dot. The reason I know this is that..."

How did you know?

This one took me ages to figure out

Edited by Alias, 07 October 2007 - 05:35.

Posted Image

#17 namman2

Amateur

• 108 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:59

he finds some paint on his hand? :P

#18 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 07 October 2007 - 17:05

View PostAlias, on 7 Oct 2007, 6:35, said:

You are travelling in a dark forest when, suddenly, on a dark and stormy night, you are captured by the forest people. They keep looking at you and saying to each other, "It be a smart person!"

You are marched to their village and seated in the square. Before you are blindfolded, you notice two other lucky souls seated in chairs facing you. Then you are told that the forest people king is about to die. He previously sent messengers throughout the land seeking the 3 smartest people. You are one, and two others have also been found. He now gives you all a task to see which one is the wisest.

He tells you, "I have seated you in an equilateral triangle so that each of you faces the other two. While you are blindfolded I will paint a dot on each of your foreheads. Each dot will be red or green so that there can be any combination of red and green dots, for example, 1 red and 2 greens, or all red, etc. When I remove the blindfolds each of you must raise your hand if you see _any_ green dots, i.e. 1 or 2 dots. As soon as you have figured out what color your own dot is, tell me how you knew."

So he paints a green dot on all three foreheads. When the blindfolds are removed, all three hands go up. After a long pause, the wisest person, (that's you!) say, "Your highness, I have a green dot. The reason I know this is that..."

How did you know?

This one took me ages to figure out

I'm afraid this is a little difficult to explain...

It is easy to work out your own colour if you see a red and a green, but not if you see two greens.

If you see one green and one red...
The green dotted person would see you and a red. The fact that there is a long pause in which nobody answers means you must have a green, as the green dot person seeing two reds with hands up would mean they could easily deduce the colour of their dot. They did not at once say that they have a green, so they must be unsure, as they also see a green and a red (the deduction of your colour in this situation requires the pause).

If you see two greens, you can only assume that the other two people see each other's greens. The colour of your dot makes no difference - they will still see at least one green and therefore put their hands up.

The fact that none of the wise people work out that they have a green in the "long pause" means that they must see two greens as well. Ergo your colour is a green.

#19 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 00:46

View Postrich19, on 8 Oct 2007, 3:05, said:

I'm afraid this is a little difficult to explain...

It is easy to work out your own colour if you see a red and a green, but not if you see two greens.

If you see one green and one red...
The green dotted person would see you and a red. The fact that there is a long pause in which nobody answers means you must have a green, as the green dot person seeing two reds with hands up would mean they could easily deduce the colour of their dot. They did not at once say that they have a green, so they must be unsure, as they also see a green and a red (the deduction of your colour in this situation requires the pause).

If you see two greens, you can only assume that the other two people see each other's greens. The colour of your dot makes no difference - they will still see at least one green and therefore put their hands up.

The fact that none of the wise people work out that they have a green in the "long pause" means that they must see two greens as well. Ergo your colour is a green.

Yes, that's right. The clue was the long pause because if everyone saw 2 greens then they'd be doing the same reasoning as you - therefore since they couldn't figure it out (it would be near instant if they saw a red too) - you deduct the fact that they're in the same situation - seeing 2 greens which means you are also a green.

Well done, Rich. :P

Posted Image

#20 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:23

Break the riddle, move your head really fast and doppler shift the light coming off your dot!

/ends weird physics rant

#21 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:33

u couldnt move ur head faster than the speed of light tho XD

Posted Image

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:39

ker hum? Remember im a 4th year theoritical physicist, i can tell you for a fact that you do not need to exceed the speed of light, and since all riddles take place in a hypothetical space there is nothing against moving a head at 17% the speed of light (required velocity) to complete the doppler shift.

#23 Kyouko

Formally Iron_Golem

• Member Test
  • 721 posts
  • Projects: To kill any and all conversations

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:49

17% Is still alot faster than the speed of sound.

#24 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 08 October 2007 - 15:21

You have three cups of tea and fourteen sugar lumps. How can you share out the sugar lumps so every cup of tea has an odd number of sugar lumps in?

#25 Sharpnessism

Custom title!

• Member Test
  • 2871 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 00:04

3 lumps of sugar each?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users