Hangar 13 Design

266 replies to this topic

#26 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:56

Ok, here's a sig I made for/with a friend... I used abourors flame tutorial... here it goes
Posted Image

EDIT: I didnt realize that that render must have been copyrited by nintendo :stickattack2:

Edited by swim-listen-game, 10 January 2008 - 22:16.

kinda, sorta alive.

#27 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:21

This is much better SLG. Size wise it doesn't have huge waste of space, you have done an ok job of colourising the renders, although i suspect it's a opacity change. The font doesn't work though and the blue doesn't come from anything in the sig already so it stands out. I would also suggest using a colour from the render, preferably the BG and using it for your border and not setting it to overlay. But defo improvement.

#28 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 14:33

Well good one :P .. u only need a better font ... as this "digital" font doesnt fit also its color doesnt ... and u can create a better border by edit/stroke ... but nonetheless its a good sig :dope:
Posted Image

#29 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:17

i accidentaly used a copywrited render in that one..... I need a new idea!!! and somewere to get not copywrited renders- any advice on the renders side?
kinda, sorta alive.

#30 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:48

hmmf, don't worry about it

#31 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:59

Ok, I took the background, messed around with it, changed the render, and made a new version of the SAS sig I did before.
Posted Image
What do you think?

Swim~Listen~Game

PS: does anyone have a good source for un-copywrited renders?
kinda, sorta alive.

#32 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:15

Planet Renders (www.planetrenders.net) provides renders for everyone to use. SOme of these renders require the cutters permission, but most don't. DOn't forget that renders come from open access sources such as screenies and etc and can't be classified as copyrighted. Renders aren't usually created by an individual they are merely cut and there isn't much copyright on that IIRC.

#33 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 18:26

Ditto.

as for ur new sig ... apart from being good ... the render needs to blend with the BG
Posted Image

#34 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 23:36

I don't really know how to make it blend more... aside from like this
Posted Image

Swim~Listen~Game
kinda, sorta alive.

#35 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 23:48

Well I didn't comment on the sig before.

The lines running down the middle are quite odd imo. And don't really match the cloudy BG. The badge hasn't got any color relationship to the BG and as you have said, as you don't know how, you haven't blended it.

Where have you been learning your stuff from? Are you basically just seeing what you can do as you go along?

#36 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 00:45

Ummm... a little bit. I'm also learning a lot from tutorials... I don't know about that one. I think the mario one was better, but I can't use that... so I'm gonna make some better ones, thanks for telling me about planet renders

Swim~Listen~Game
kinda, sorta alive.

#37 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:16

I'm also learning a lot from tutorials

Any in particular? Where are you looking?

#38 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:49

A lot here, especially nexolate's grunge background one, abourrors flame background one, a couple on other various sites, and I'm learning a bit from real life friends who do some of this. I am still finding brushes and stuff, because I am definitely lacking thoses

Swim~Listen~Game
kinda, sorta alive.

#39 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:01

BG's are very easy to make once you have your render. All you need to do is to know how to smudge it correctly and what settings to use. That way you will never have a colour clash in your sig. You end up using the colours of your render to form the background.

I don't believe there is a tutorial on ES for that yet?!?!

Brushes are handy to have. I would recommend that you really concentrate on finding the best scatter/splash ones you can find and make sure you have lots. I have approximate 800-900 general brushes in my collection. But have only used about 8 in total, in the last 6 months. Brushes won't make your sig tbh. The one in my sig used 2 different scatter brushes and the rest were all PS standard. Everything else were effects, filters, layers or C4Ds.

Keep pracitising mate.

Edited by Wizard, 12 January 2008 - 02:02.

#40 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:28

I am trying to do a bevel and emboss for some modifications to this sig- can anyone tell me how to do this?
kinda, sorta alive.

#41 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 13:21

You double click the layer you want to B&E (or left click and choose layer styles). Then the layer styles submenu appears. You click the check box for B&E and select the writing (for want of a better phrase) and the options for it appear. You can play about with the settings to get the effect you want.

#42 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 16:40

OK- I changed one of the background renders, and messed around with a couple of other things, added 2 new renders... and here's the next version. BTW it turns out elements doesn't have Bevel and Emboss :wahhhhhaa:
Posted Image
Swim~Listen~Game
kinda, sorta alive.

#43 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:15

OK, I've been toying with this for a while, so I threw this together
Comments and criticism... this is for my projects... I am recruiting :P
Posted Image
~SLG
kinda, sorta alive.

#44 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:39

Ok... here's another one... Comments and Criticism PLEASE... no one has been commenting :stickattack2:

Posted Image
~SLG
kinda, sorta alive.

#45 retry_1

sniper extrordanare

• 2591 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:55

that is a very nice sig, however, the text is undefined, i'm not familar with elements, so i don't know how to remedy this

might i suggest trying to find a mac version of GIMP and asking one of the masters of it(L.A., Alias[or at TSC solid]) to teach you, because it seems your only limitation is your program.
Sig and avy by yours truly
Posted Image

#46 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:56

Ok, well for comments I actually quite like the sig for the Do Nothing Project. It has a certain :lol: factor to it! Sorry to say mate that I am a bit too busy to join atm!

Now for the crit, it's flat. Sadly there is little you can really do with a sig like that to give it any depth if you ask me. The px squares are a nice touch and it all lots ok, but it a very basic sig.

The latest one is nice, but too big imo. Bring the size of your sigs down. I like 400 x 130, and in fact Retry's sig size is also quite nice. The larger you make them, the more detail you have to put in them to fill the space. And as it seems your version of gimp is rather basic you have lots of extra space that you don't need! You have done some nice smudging and I can see you have been playing with opacity levels, and it isn't bad 7/10 on that front. ALso try and make you borders smaller, you don't have to go over 3 px in width.

Next step you need to work on is finding a good render of something and learning to use the render as the background. Try using the smudge tool and it's various scattering and density settings to mess you renders up and use them as the BG.

You can practise as much as you like, but it is time I think to get another programme.

#47 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 21:21

Here's one I made at TSC (for anyone still watching this thread)
Posted Image
~SLG
kinda, sorta alive.

#48 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:51

And, if anyone at all is still watching, here's my current wallpaper, a GIMP project
Posted Image
If you are still watching this thread, please comment
~SLG
EDIT: also, if anyone wants it, they can use the do-nothing sig... just tell me and it's yours, I'll just add your name.

Edited by swim-listen-game, 02 February 2008 - 04:52.

kinda, sorta alive.

#49 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 22:15

TSC seems to be down, so here's something I threw together
Posted Image
Thanks to LDM for the C4D just barely visible in the BG
~SLG

Edited by swim-listen-game, 08 February 2008 - 00:55.

kinda, sorta alive.

#50 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:02

Nice Russian sig :D
Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?