#1 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 23 January 2008 - 23:49

Ok, here goes!

BASIC MODDING

First thing you might wanna start off with for modding starcraft is making a mod directory.
So, first make a mod folder and give it a name, i suggest you go with something simple like : ''My Custom''
AFter that go into the folder and make another called: ''arr'' that sub-folder is your best friend. it holds all your stat files.
Next, if want to begin basic modding i suggest you download DatEdit
Click to Download DatEdit
Open it up, and you can edit all sorts of things in this wonderful little tool. You can edit stats and weapon files as much as you please. When your done editing, save the file in the arr sub-folder in your mod directory. MAKE SURE IT IS SAVED AS A DAT FILE!!!

Now if you want to test your mod, you must get -
MPQ Compactor
MPQ Draft
WinMPQ

If you want to play your mod, drag or cut your mod file and paste it into MPQ Compactor, where it will be compacted into a MPQ file. Then MPQ Draft will automaticlly open up and start to process your Mod's MPQ file, so give it a few seconds and your mod will start. Also, MPQ files can only be opened in WinMPQ!!!

ADVANCED MODDING

Wanna add in your own graphics to starcraft? Then read this!

First make a another sub-folder in your mod directory called ''Unit'' then in that sub-folder make another sub-folder either named ''Zerg'', ''Protoss'' or ''Terran''
GRP Making tutorial

Make sure you get These graphic modding tools!!!
RetroGRP
TBLPad

RetroGRP is a converter which converts GRP's to edible images. Make sure you use GIMP or Phtoshop to edit these Image files!
TblPad is a program that allows you to rename units. [Just make a file named ''rez'' in your mod directory and save your Tbl file you edited in it]

GRP's are another word for Graphics or sprites.

Adding sounds is quite easy - Make a sub-folder in your mod directory called ''Sound'' then a sub-folder in Sound called ''Bullet''. Now this is where the fun begins. When you make a sound MAKE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .WAV FILE! Then copy it into the Bullet folder. Now it comes to inserting the sound, Its really simple once you get the hang of it. Find a good attack sound for the marine, make sure its a .wav file. Then put it in your Bullet sub-folder and rename the sound Tmafir00 . Compact your mod with MPQ Compactor and test out your sound, if it worked: good job! if it didnt: MAKE SURE ITS A .WAV FILE!

I suggest you download the Starcraft sound pack here: Sound Pack

Adding backround music:

Adding backround music can be fun, find a few of your favorite songs and convert them to .wav files. Then in your mod directory make a folder called ''Music'' then in there paste your selected music in and rename it to either ''Protoss1'', ''Protoss2'', or ''Protoss3'' and if you want to add some music to zerg and terran rename the song as ''Zerg1'' , ''Zerg2'' ''Zerg3'', ''Terran1'', ''Terran2'', or ''Terran3''

WHen you compact your mod with the new backround music, it will take longer for MPQ Compactor to compact your mod. Sometimes when its done MPQ Draft wont start up, so you will have to make your mod an .exe file.
Open up MPQ Draft, then click CREATE SELF EXECUTING MPQ. Then where it says ''Input MPQ Filename'' click browse and hunt down your mod MPQ file. Then where it says ''Output SEMPQ Executable Filename'' which means ''Make a name for your damn mod :P'' So type in your desired mod name and click next. Where it says ''Programs'' click starcraft and do the same for ''Components''. Then click ''next'' then click ''finish'' and WHAMO! You just made an Executable game file for your mod, congratz!

Heres a small list of tutorial's you can look at if you dont like mine-
KLIK ME!!!1
Formerly Sobek

#2 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:43

not to burst your bubble, but this is mostly C&C related topics, I'm sure the tut is helpfull, but it's for starcraft, not any of the C&C games. Again, not meaning to offend you, but the thread is kinda... out of place

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dauth edit: Sig removed for height violation.

#3 Dr HaxX

Remorseful Assassin

• 1070 posts
  • Projects: Eden Site; Summit Site

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:53

Not really. After all this is "games modding" not "cnc games only modding. It may not be used as much as the cnc tuts.... But it is not misplaced.
Remember me? You old timers?

#4 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:49

Its not so much that it is out of place for me, it is more that it is out of date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users