14 replies to this topic

#1 Alexei_Stukov

The Knowledge is the Best Expirience

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:17

Hello,
now I'm working on first Russian building (CommandCenter).
But I meet some difficults with creating defence buildings cause I can't find anything on the net ( realistic)
I need help with ideas about uniqe and different defences from old factions and if it possible to be more realistic.
After few days I'll update my first building so look around to see it.
I hope you will help me with ideas and info, cause now I'm concentrating on modding (insufficient time)
Thanks to all for the attention.

#2 zatev

Casual

• Project Team
  • 61 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days (INI-coder)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 13:43

What about using the turret of the 9K331 Tor (SA-15 Gauntlet)
Some info can be found here http://www.fas.org/m...e/row/sa-15.htm
Usable as Anti Air defence and if wanted it could as well be used against vehicles

Edited by zatev, 07 March 2008 - 13:46.

...The rules for both chess and war remain the same: attack, defend, capture, and sacrifice. Win at all costs...
...There are 10 types of people, people who can count binairy and those who can not...

#3 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 07 March 2008 - 14:01

Perhaps a dug in tank or artillery piece? a machine gun nest (overused, I know, but still good).
~SLG
kinda, sorta alive.

#4 Kamikazi

Your worst nightmare

• Project Team
  • 1252 posts
  • Projects: EC Co-Leader and NLS Beta Tester

Posted 07 March 2008 - 15:24

Do you need defences for Russia or for USA/GLA/China?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 15:36

Yes I need everything what can help me :)

Edited by Alexei_Stukov, 07 March 2008 - 15:38.

#6 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 07 March 2008 - 15:44

An anti-tank cannon, perhaps? A tank trap (or set of tank traps) that can "garrison" two soldiers behind it, providing little or no protection but impede the enemy's mobility and provides garrison bonuses? An ability for troops to Dig In, creating a small sandbagged position for themselves that provides garrison bonuses but makes the soldier immobile, and the soldier has to Dig Out to move again, removing the sandbags? A similar ability for tanks and vehicles, that provides some protection and garrison bonuses at the cost of all mobility, so you essentially have a mobile defensive line?

#7 Kamikazi

Your worst nightmare

• Project Team
  • 1252 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 16:13

Maybe something like this? (Only look at teh turret)

http://www.rheinmeta...skyguard_gr.jpg
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 18:05

Bunkers are good :P and MG nests

#9 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 18:16

thanks a lot :) But if something else cross your mind share with us :P

#10 Kamikazi

Your worst nightmare

• Project Team
  • 1252 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 18:45

Angry Russian civs throwing with toiletpaper? :)
Nah j/k :P As Zeke said bunker would do the trick, cause EU is little about defence and this so bunker will fit in ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 21:31

I had an idea of an foxhole (hey in my dream mod thats an idea i had for over a year) but idk if ure gonna use em though you could make trenches (like a trench with 3-5 garisson slots)
Posted Image

#12 Someone

Casual

• 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:50

The Rise of the Reds mod team initially planed to feature the Guardian Missile System (not sure if it is real or fictional) in their mod, but it was removed from the public Beta release of the mod. Perhaps they can give you permission to use their model.

Posted Image

Edited by Someone, 20 March 2008 - 02:13.

#13 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:45

What about a S-300 surounded by sandbags and covered by camo nets as AA?
A sandbagged "Black Eagle" as anti tank?
A MG nest as anti infantry?

#14 Someone

Casual

• 70 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:18

Personally, I would not use something like a dug-in tank as a defensive “structure” for the Russian side because to the best of my knowledge, it is not a tactic employed by the Russian Army.
A (stationary) S-300/400 launch system protected by sand bags and camo nets, on the other hand, would make a good, realistic (AAA) defensive structure.

I noticed several people suggested a machinegun nest as a defensive structure. However, as mentioned earlier, this defense is already used by many mods. Perhaps a better choice would be a ZU-23 defense. For those of you that do not know what the ZU-23 is, it is the anti-aircraft cannon developed in late 1950s and latter used as the main armament of the “Shilka” AA vehicle. In its non-vehicle-mounted form however, ZU-23 usually is towed to a desired location and set up in the field (although as a “defense structure” it should be built as a building). Despite its age, the weapon is still considered to be a threat to both low flying aircraft and low-armored ground targets; many nations, including Russia, still feature the ZU-23 in their arsenal. Upgraded versions of the weapon can be fitted with small surface-to-air missiles like the “Igla” or “Stinger”.
In the mod, it could be operated by at least one soldier who would be protected from enemy fire by a gun shield, while the weapon itself would be surrounded by concrete blocks and hedgehogs (if you were to use sand bags instead, it would look too much like the overused machinegun nest). Ammo crates and a small radar array would provide a nice finishing touch to the structure.

Posted Image
ZU-23-2S JOD, an improved Polish version of the weapon
Posted Image
(Female) North Korean soldiers performing an exercise with the ZU-23-4. I believe number 4 indicates the weapon has 4 gun barrels.
Posted Image
(Male) Polish soldiers behind a ZU-23-2 (click to enlarge). I believe number 2 indicates the weapon has 2 gun barrels.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXVa0VyKdm0
Several ZU-23 fiering at a flare during a night exercise
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HcZnrtL1Kw
ZU-23 fiering horizontally

I also have a suggestion for an anti-tank defense structure. I will admit, it is even less realistic than a dug-in Black Eagle, but perhaps it could be used as a late-game defense. My suggestion – AK-130 cannon.
In reality, AK-130 is a naval autocannon used on many Russian ships. It can fire 130mm shells at targets 22 km away at a rate of nearly 1 shell per second! Currently, it has the fastest rate of fire of any cannon in the world.
In the mod, it could be a long-range defense structure. Although very effective, it would have an Achilles’ heel – it would have limited ammo. Fortunately for the player, the ammo would regenerate and the player would be able to regulate the weapons rate of fire. At the lowest setting (about the same rate of fire as a regular in-game tank), the rate of fire would equal the rate of “ammo regeneration”. At the highest setting the cannon would be able to destroy an Overlord in a matter of seconds, but would also run out of ammo very quickly and be unable to stop any enemy advance until it regenerates at least a quarter of its ammo.

Posted Image
AK-130
Posted Image
Another photograph of the weapon. The sailor in front of it helps to put the weapons size in perspective.

Well, that all I could think of for now. If I think of anything else, I will post it here. I hope you will find my suggestions useful.

Edited by Someone, 16 March 2008 - 05:23.

#15 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:23

Thanks for the informations. I really appreciated this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users