Worldbuilder Problems(ZH)

12 replies to this topic

#1 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:41

Hi, I'm starting to map for the first time everything is going smoothly for now...But everymap starts with their factions Command Centre in the players starting position.

So how can I add them?

EDIT:Yes I did read the tutorials but it didn't answer my question.

Thanks. :read:
-Answered.
------------------------

I made a test map (For testing) and my Command Centre appears in the corner and the supplies just dissapear off the map? :S

Edited by Zhen Ji, 20 April 2008 - 09:00.

Posted Image

#2 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:47

Place a waypoint Player_x_Start where x is a number (Player_1_Start etc.)

#3 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:02

Thanks! I've placed the Waypoints is there anything else I need to do?

-Done

But:

I made a test map (For testing) and my Command Centre appears in the corner of map instead at the waypoint and the supplies just dissapear off the map? :S

Edited by Zhen Ji, 20 April 2008 - 09:02.

Posted Image

#4 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:22

Posted Image

The above is the basic layout for a map with skirmish AI.

Before you start to add any objects to your map you should include the SkirmishAI players. In WB menu go Edit>Edit Players List. The players list in the new window should include [neutral] only. If you have already placed objects on the map then their factions are listed in the players list, in most cases it's the civilian faction (for shrubbery, structures, etc.). Click 'Remove Player' to remove all factions from the list. When a message appears saying 'There are n objects using this team. Are you sure you want to remove it?' click 'Yes'. When you removed all factions click 'Add Skirmish Players'. If you placed faction structures on the map before you added the skirmish players all these objects on the map must be manually re-assigned to their original faction. This is done in the 'Object Properties' window under 'General' > 'Team'.

Some details:
The base areas must be big enough for the AI to build the additional structures when player chooses hard AI. In WB under Civilian > Structures you can find an object called 'TempBuildingSize'. Use it to layout the base area sizes on the map. The base area is made of an inner perimeter and an outer perimeter. The area outside the base areas are encompassed by the 'CombatZone'.

The naming is always 'InnerPerimeter1' and 'OuterPerimeter1' for player 1; 'InnerPerimeter2' and 'OuterPerimeter2' for player 2, etc. and 'CombatZone'.

OuterPerimeter:
When enemy units breach the outer perimeter of an AI-controlled base the available units address the threat. Don't create an outer perimeter too big nor too small because the AI may react too soon or too late.

InnerPerimeter:
When the inner perimeter is breached the AI drops everything to address this threat. The inner perimeter shouldn't be much larger than the base area itself. However, if there is a choke point or some other tactical advantage some distance from the base, it makes sense to define the inner perimeter to include this point.

CombatZone
Incursions into the combat zone signal the AI that the stakes of the game have been elevated. Every map has only one combat zone.

Player Start Points
It's the point on the map where AI places the command center. And the AI measures it's build radius from this point. If the AI build faction structures at wrong places, on roads or railtracks or on top of supply piles for example, move the player start point around 'til the AI does fine. It's much easier than do rework part of the map.

Waypoint paths
The waypoint paths define the base entrances and every base got three of them named 'Center1', 'Flank1', 'Backdoor1' for player 1; 'Center2', Flank2', 'Backdoor2' for player 2, etc. The waypoint paths always lead inside the respective inner perimeter of a base area.

#5 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:37

Thanks Nip! But how can I add the Inner and Out perimeters/Combat Zone?

I'm fairly new at this but I've AI coded before, Just never bothered putting in the Flanks,Backdoor,Centre Nor Perimeters as the AI just attacked.

:read:

Edited by Zhen Ji, 20 April 2008 - 15:38.

Posted Image

#6 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:53

In WB button bar left of the 'Border' button is a button called 'Polygon Tool'. Choose it and click on the map, then move to another point on the map and click again. Both points are connected by a red line. Continue and close the circle by clicking the first point again. Then click somewhere on the polygon and name it.

#7 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:24

Thank you very much again! :cry:

I've added player 1's Perimeters and I'll post the pic here and see if it's okay?

Posted Image

Ignore the dull textures it's still a beta. :P
Posted Image

#8 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:06

Ok so far, compared with the structures the base area looks a bit small. Remember, in hard setting the AI build additional defenses, power plants (China, USA), airfields (China, USA). A tip: before you gonna check your map in-game you can add a script to PlyrCivilian script folder to reveal the map so you can watch what's going on. An enabled radar makes it easier to move around while testing the map.

*** IF ***
	True.
*** THEN ***
  The world is revealed permanently for Player &#39;<Local Player>&#39;.
  The radar is now forced to be enabled.

The actions can be found either in 'Scripts' > 'Map' > 'Shroud Or Reveal' > 'Reveal the entire map permanently for a player' or in 'Scripts' > 'Radar' > 'Control' > 'Force Enable The Radar'. Whenever you add scripts to a skirmish map put them in PlyrCivilian script folder only. In any other folder the scripts either do not work or let the game crash.

Edited by nipthecat, 20 April 2008 - 17:09.

#9 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:30

So far so good!

2 AI players on the right side are fully functional are attacking, However the AI in the top left just build lots of units but only send a few to attack.

Should I try moving the Player_Start a bit further from the supply dock?
Posted Image

#10 nip

Grunze-Catz

• 608 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:50

Watch the AI build their base structures, if the AI stopped you can try to move the player start point around or slightly move the supply docks away from the map border or change the size of inner/outer perimeters. Sometimes AI teams keep in their base because of a mispelled or missing waypoint path, check this, too.

#11 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 18:13

Thank you so much Nipthecat!

The AI now works correctly, I re-added the perimeters and it seemed to work.

I might release the Beta as a parting gift, But all that's left to do is textures and and a few here and there parts.

Again I appreciate your help. :P
Posted Image

#12 vadlak

• 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:42

[Is anyone still there

Edited by vadlak, 04 May 2008 - 02:42.

#13 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 14:40

Uhm, what kinda question is that. Of course we are here.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users