Rate the last book you read

65 replies to this topic

#26 G-sus

batshit insane

• 802 posts
  • Projects: Coding Skynet

Posted 29 July 2008 - 19:03

HOOTERS Magazine...
like, really deep story, really interesting characters, and like, amazing pics.
best (and only) book i´ve read for quite some time...
Posted Image
(Sig by The DR)

True beauty comes from heart and mind.
(but perfection has also big boobs)

#27 TWPC920

Semi-Pro

• 220 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:26

Primary Colors

Fictional story based on the Clinton campaign, its a pretty good book, but the biggest gripe i had with it was the book not bothering to explaining many details and terms that only involved politicians would understand.

Score: (8.5/10)
"Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker... and a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself; he doesn't like that. Not... one... bit. So, me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and says, "Why so SERIOUS?" So, he comes at me with the knife, "Why so SERIOUS?!" He sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face! And... why so serious? -The Joker (The Dark Knight)

#28 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 07 October 2008 - 21:43

A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bill Bryson

Very elucidating book covering a vast range of scientific subjects and phrased in a way that most people without an interest in science would be able to follow. Normally I avoid non-fiction books, but this one made me buck the trend.
[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:h39WkRCsCwPLQM:http://www.tastebudd.com/img/4star_sml.gif[/img]

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can anyone recommend me a good fiction book other than Brisingr? I need something new and I'm already ordering this.

Edited by Scopejim, 07 October 2008 - 21:45.

Posted Image

#29 NanSolo

Amateur

• 100 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 21:49

For fiction (taking Brisingr as a starting point) I'd suggest Conn Iggulden, either his Julius Caeser series or his new Genghis Khan series.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:48

Shakespeare by Bill Bryson: 7/10

Written in his usual amusing style, the book is quite interesting for those who like Shakespeare but I predict others would get bored of it extremely soon. He does zoom in slightly too much every now and then, making the book drift away from the main point, but nonetheless it is well-written.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:04

View PostScopejim, on 7 Oct 2008, 22:43, said:

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can anyone recommend me a good fiction book other than Brisingr? I need something new and I'm already ordering this.

Fantasy I would recommend Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, or the Belgariad / Mallorean series by David Eddings. If you want a thriller check out the jack reacher series by Lee Child, or read some Harlan Coben.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 13:29

Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist

this was the greatest novel i ever read .. even though it is a novel it explains lots of things in our lives and how the universe help us accomplish anything we really want to... other than that paulo coelho style is great u wont get bored even if u read it for hours ...
Posted Image

#33 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 15:53

Oh and from a few weeks ago:

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire episode 1-5:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords part 1 - Steel and Snow
A Storm of Swords part 2 - Blood and Gold
A Feast for Crows

(yeah, that's a lot of reading)
9,5/10

Outstanding medieval series hinted with a bit of fantasy. Many Houses in an inevitable almost-Britain that contend for power, support each other, betray each other, and many other things worth reading about :P . A huge amount of details like the Houses' coats of arms, slogans, allies, enemies, bannermen, bannermen of allies, allies of bannermen, etc. etc. etc. are provided in addition to having an extremely compelling writing style make this series seriously worth your trouble if you like medieval (fantasy) books.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Mr. Mylo

The Transporter

• Project Team
  • 2334 posts
  • Projects: CnC Unleashed; CnC The Rise of the Reds

Posted 08 October 2008 - 16:06

David Lodge : Nice work

Social comedy about Robyn Penrose, an English Lecturer of the industrial novels and fiminist, and Victor Vilcox, the Managing Director of a factory, who have total diffrent ideas of the important values of life... when these two persons meet eachother sparks fly and ideologies collide head on. Later both parties make some surprising discoveries about each other's worlds - and about themselves.

pretty long book I had to read in my english intensive course. It's worth it.
Posted Image
sig by the_Dr - you are the best
Posted Image
here look at my artwork: KLICK ME
Posted Image

#35 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 04 December 2008 - 23:11

lord of the flies. simply amazing
Attached Image

#36 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:05

Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett

#37 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:06

^

topic title said:

Rate the last book you read
:P
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:06

Double Cross - Malorie Blackman

This is the 4th book in what was a trilogy. The basic background is that society is split into Noughts (White people) and Crosses (Black people). But in this alter reality, the crosses are superior and the noughts are treated as subhuman. The story can really only be fully understood if you have read all 3 previous books, which is a shame. But nevertheless the story is very engaging and incredibly powerful. Never has a book provoked such an emotional response in me, and I can't really pinpoint why. The plot follows off were the last book finished, and ties up the loose ends as well as expanding on previous minor characters enormously while the previous main characters become part of the background. All 4 books cover two generations of the main family so the characters have very rich and deep personalitys. The book contains quite alot of adult themes like previous titles, and although it isn't as dark as previous titles, it is the most adult.

If you plan to read this I strongly recommend you read the previous 3, although the 2nd and 3rd can be a bit depressing the 1st in particular is brilliant. You can probaly read the 4th standalone but you will not understand the relationships between any of the characters (Apart from the main two characters in this book) or any of the backstory.

9/10.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:42

Bill Bryson - Neither here nor there

8/10

A good read and laugh out loud funny, was written in 1990/91 and does age badly since its a travel book about Europe and mentions several successor states.

#40 KinDrΣd

Visitor

• 21 posts
  • Projects: Radio Active Sago Project

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:12

The New Concise History of the Crusades - madden - 8.5/10

i got it in Barnes & Nobles.. must read book for the medieval history/crusades fanatics..
Posted Image
THE HIGHER ORDER SHALL REIGN!!!

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death.." - A. H

#41 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:04

Half of a Yellow Sun-Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
being nigerian,it has alot of sad things about the past. dad made me read it, loved it tho. 8/10
Attached Image

#42 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:31

Book name: Funny Lists.
Type of book: Joke books.
Rating system: 9/10
Explanation: Well most of the jokes there are funny, but not all of them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 KinDrΣd

Visitor

• 21 posts
  • Projects: Radio Active Sago Project

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:28

View PostG-sus, on 29 Jul 2008, 20:03, said:

HOOTERS Magazine...
like, really deep story, really interesting characters, and like, amazing pics.
best (and only) book i´ve read for quite some time...

fore real? there's a hooters mag?
Posted Image
THE HIGHER ORDER SHALL REIGN!!!

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death.." - A. H

#44 Admiral Wesley

Semi-Pro

• 295 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 16:09

Maybe they should make a magazine with absolutley nothing but advertisements for male enhancements medicines which don't even work. Nobody would buy the magazine. Or, even worse, some mentally retarded six-year old would pick up the magazine and make it be his only posession. That would be just stupid.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 Beta9

Semi-Pro

• 265 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 16:14

Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman

This novel is fairly old but I recently came across it.

Wow, rarely have I read such a thought-provoking, dreamlike, imaginative, wondrous novel. Lightman does the extraordinary with this little volume in how he paints a surreal, perfect world hidden in the passage of time. I can surely say this is one of the best novels I've ever read.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Darkfire Angel

Casual

• 50 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 00:47

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
I read this when it 1st came out, ie before the hype and enjoyed it mostly but found her writing style to be a bit forced towards sensualizing everything. Read it again now, so I could get extra credit after I mentioned in passing to my honors supervisor that I thought the entire thing was simply a modern reinterpetation of the vampire as sex, and some how agreed to try explain it in a seminar for cog psych.
If it was possible to have enough information and understanding of it's interactions, we would in theory be able to predict the consequences of our actions. However, as appealing as this super statuarion of information and understanding is, we would risk stagnation, would we act on anything when we already knew the outcome?

#47 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:53

Name of book: True Philippine Ghost Story No. 12
Rating: 6/10
Explanation: There are ghost story pics and lots of stories. The reason I rated it 6 is well 4-7 stories in there were scary, but there are 20+ in there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:32

The Alexandria Link - Steve Berry

9/10

I liked the book overall, suits to my taste, but I do not like how it ends, I hoped to learn more things

#49 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 18:22

L.A Requiem - Robert Crais

This book starts off simply with the murder of a young woman and from there on becomes an ever more complex crime thriller. The writing is brilliant, the characters fairly well built and he utilises a wide plot, split over both the past and present. This is also one of few crime thrillers were its pretty damn impossible to get the suspect before the main character does. Some earlier chapters seem insignificant at the time of reading but become of crucial importance as the plot twists and turns like a savage animal.

I am definately going to read some more of this authors work.

9/10
Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:25

when and y was this thread unpinned?
Attached Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users