[PHP] Headers and caching

8 replies to this topic

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 16:06

My experience with headers is a bit hit 'n miss, sometimes they don't work sometimes they do... I think this is mainly down to lack of knowledge of parameters that can be used, so I got 2 things to ask.

1. How do I set up a header to indefinitely cache a page (or in my current situation, an image created via PHP)
2. Are there any good places for references to headers and the parameters that can be used?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 16:15

When you say indefinitely cache a page, Do you mean that it is fluid and will fit to any screen? Also how are you making the page?

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 16:28

Probably should have worded that better, I mean the cache to have no expiration date or as good as.

I have tried several things, and to a certain extent they work, but it seems it needs to be loaded from the server quite a few times before it is actually cached :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 16:34

Haha sry but I was under the impression it was something to do with web page construction:P I think what your dealing with is slightly over my knowledge at the moment. Good luck with it though:)

#5 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 16:48

PHP is to do with web pages... oO

Edited by Bob, 24 May 2008 - 16:51.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 17:00

Lol there you go, I wouldn't know the first thing about PHP:P I'm mainly using dream weaver at the moment.

#7 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 17:06

PHP is a server-side language, Dreamweaver is a program. You use dreamweaver to create php (amongst other things) >.>

I'm guessing your just starting out in the wide world or web site creating...? :P

Edited by Bob, 24 May 2008 - 17:07.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 17:13

Yeah pretty much. I've covered using tables, frames, iframes, CSS styles and basic behavior adjustment. Ill have a look but it wouldn't surprise me if we start covering PHP in the second semester or second year.

#9 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 19:31

Maybe you should give these a look:

http://www.w3.org/Pr...2616-sec14.html
http://en.wikipedia....of_HTTP_headers
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users