Nid's Art Base

187 replies to this topic

#176 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:35

Posted Image

For the Media Arts degree I'm studying I have had to do a module on photography, which has included taking pictures on to black and white film, processing and then developing that film onto photo paper. This I think was my favourite image from the set, however the scan-in wasn't the best quality, the original looks so much better.
Posted Image

#177 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 19:28

Ooo, that looks really cool :)

But why are you doing photography on a Film course? :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#178 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:10

He's doing Media Arts, last I checked, that wasn't film :P

Edited by Dr.AJ, 04 November 2010 - 20:21.

For there can be no death without life.

#179 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:19

It is in my mind :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#180 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:29

It encompases film, photography, digital art, animation, and scriptwriting afaik, there might be more later on that I don't know about D:

BTW this was the first and last time I am using a Darkroom, it was horrible D:

Edited by Deathscythe, 04 November 2010 - 20:30.

Posted Image

#181 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:22

Try using a Lightroom :P
Posted Image

#182 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 17:33

*Blows dust for a third time*

These are three desktop backgrounds I made recently, wasn't sure entirely what I wanted but I had an idea. I was thinking of turning one into a sig, seeing as I dont have one atm. Haven't got round to it atm.

Enjoy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a .gif I made ages ago:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#183 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 18:51

First one:
I like the images and the entire layout, it works really well and the broken bits of text inside the letters are just the right balance between detailed and covered up so they aren't too distracting, however the colour is a bit bland as there is only one colour. Also, it might be too much for a background (however that might be personal taste, I like my backgrounds to be quite simple), you could make it less complex by just using the middle line of text and leaving a large portion of it white. Overall the concept is nice :lol:

Second one:
Its definitely a lot less complex than the first one which is quite nice, it also has a slight colour variation which works well. However the colours look a bit odd, the white highlighted portion of the sea looks a bit sickly (did you use a gradient map?). Apart from the colours looking odd, its quite nice.

Third one:
Did you just invert the first one and change the glow/shadow to purple :P It doesn't quite capture the same shadowed depth as the first two and just ends up looking a bit off, it might look better with some colour variation.

Gif:
It looks like a crazy circular slap.

Edited by TheDR, 25 July 2011 - 18:51.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#184 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 22:18

Indeed, there was a lot of clutter. I'm currently using the first one. However I like having those three lines, and it's great incentive to actually clean my desktop.
As for the last one, yeah, it's based on entirely the same design, only darker, the reason being I'm not a fan of bright white backgrounds, I never have been, although it's actually grown on me. It was actually initially the original purple shade, however I decided I needed to invert the images behind the text, it didn't stand out enough from the black background. The multiply layer filled with purple I had on as a clipping mask didn't work well though, so I used a brighter shade. I do really enjoy the outcome, but I'm sticking with the original version for now.

The second one, I used no gradient map actually. The original picture has an orangey glow as it's sunset, reflected by the sea. In the original version with the album art, there is a black hue layer neautralizing the hue of the images beneath it, and a purple mulitply layer on top giving it it's colour. This is why it is, as you say "dull".
I realized this and removed the black layer for the second version, as I quite enjoyed the mix of the orange and purple colours. Sad to hear you don't D:

As for the .gif, it is a crazy circular slap. :D

Edited by Nid, 25 July 2011 - 22:22.

Posted Image

#185 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 18:11

So yeah, a friend of mine has asked me to come up with a website template for him in photoshop.

The theme is record label, last I checked though he doesn't have one, so Im not sure how, why, or when this will be used. It's still WIP, any suggestions before I move on?
Breaksound isn't in use as far as I know, if it is, and it's your website, I'm sorry :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#186 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 19:07

While the background is nice, it will be a bitch to reproduce for a website, don't forget it will have to repeat, at least vertically.

Not to mention, the larger an image (and the more detail in the image), the larger the file will be and the longer a website takes to load.

I would also suggest giving a bit more padding to all the text, and maybe reduce the font size of the nav links a bit as things look a little cramped, especially along side the relatively minimal design.

Overall, it's a nice concept though. Don't know where you got the inspiration for a yellow speaker. :)

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#187 Nid

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 19:14

I'm sure there is a way to have the background trail the page, rather than repeat? As far as the text goes, you're right. Looks like it would be difficult to read, something I didn't pick up on because I wasn't trying to read it :D

I've noticed the speaker design around the net in a few places too, not just UKF. They all differ, so its not like people are just ripping off UKF either.

I saw a clever one somewhere, where the designer had put a vinyl record design on the coloured areas. Looked like the speaker was being played :)
Posted Image

#188 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 19:21

Yes, you can have the background trail off, either to a solid colour or another (smaller) tiled image, but it's just something to bare in mind. :)
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users