Claymore

148 replies to this topic

Poll: Claymore game out on 2009 (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Awesome! (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Cool. (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Not too happy. (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. What is Claymore? (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 21 July 2008 - 18:15

Posted Image

I decided to make this thread for the Claymore fans to engage in discussion about the plot and characters of Claymore.

For those that are not familiar, Claymore is both an anime and a manga spanning 26 episodes and 81 issues (and counting.)

This thread may contain spoilers.

Claymore game poll added.

Edited by Overdose, 03 October 2008 - 20:13.

Posted Image

#2 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 18:27

I really should start watching this. Is the storyline easy to get into?
Posted Image

#3 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 18:42

Claymore is very western themed with a hint of Japanese folklore. The story won't feel totally alien like but it's neither predictable.
Posted Image

#4 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 21 July 2008 - 19:27

About time we had our own thread going Posted Image

@ Kenny: It is, in fact that's what got me hooked into it, aside from the art style and design. Besides whats not to like about chicks wielding giant swords that can literally cut people into two =o?

Also if we're to spoil something, I'd suggest using the spoilers tag for
Spoiler
then :o

Edit:
These to be exact:

Posted Image
That's a custom made sword based off the Claymore's Claymore, that shit doesn't look like you would pick it with one hand either, Claymores are beastly XD

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#5 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 14:52

Stinger (and Comr4de) got me into this, I've seen the first 3 episodes and so far, it's the only anime I've liked.
What can go wrong with horror and gore mixed with chicks wielding hugearse swords? 8|

Once I'm more familiar with the anime I may pick the manga up.

Edited by Alias, 22 July 2008 - 14:53.

Posted Image

#6 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 15:39

I LOL every time I see Overdose's avatar. >_> That laugh reminds me of a certain world leader...

So Comr4de got me into Claymore and it didn't take long before I became addicted. Inside a short space of time I had already bought the DVD to pledge my support to the anime and I now have the manga volumes ordered. I like to think of it as giving something back to the creators. They deserve to be lauded.

The art in Claymore was one of the first things I fell in love with, and as everyone else here has stated, what is there not to like about 6ft tall blondes who wield two-handed swords... with one hand?

On top of all the blood letting (as you would expect from an anime with a sword as its name), there are some mild sexual references and swearing in the series so it is aimed more at the mature teen.

As for the music, I have to give credit there aswell. The music really lends a sense of tragedy to some of the scenes and there are times when you can feel the tension build as the technoish tracks kick in.

#7 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 20:04

Sigh... now you people made me watch it. And damn... *hits himself* why havent I started earlier.
Posted Image

#8 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 23:23

View PostDominator, on 22 Jul 2008, 15:04, said:

Sigh... now you people made me watch it. And damn... *hits himself* why havent I started earlier.

Because you had not been assimilated yet :D

Edited the thread a little bit, hope you don't mind 'dose 8|

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#9 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:28

I saw this in the entertainment field and I thought it may be a video of a commonly used shrapnel based explosive.

You guys got me all hyped up over nothing. :(

#10 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:36

Do not underestimate Claymore.

I generally dislike anime with a vengeance, but I've found a liking towards Claymore as it is REAL anime. No filler bullshit. Oh, and I guess the blood did it for me too. 8|

Posted Image

#11 Lizzie

• 1364 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:16

It spreads. 8|

Seriously though. One of, if not my most favorite anime of all time. I'm glad they still release a manga every month though I hope they start making OVA's for the manga at some point like hellsing did.
- E.A.B
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Posted Image

#12 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:58

Indeed. We must have a second season or OVAs. I have a feeling we are at the last or second last arc of the manga so there's plenty of material to work with.

Edited by Overdose, 23 July 2008 - 04:59.

Posted Image

#13 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:16

Voted, though it should be obvious and yea I too hope for either a remake with OVA's or a second season 8|

Posted Image

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:40

Teresafag, reporting.

Posted Image

#15 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 22:36

I've heard of it but I've never watched it...it sounds a LOT like Berserk, which is outrageously awesome. I guess I'll have to go watch it sometime soon...
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 00:23

You'll probably like Claymore then, I've got a closet-anime-head friend of mine who watched and read that stuff. He loved it and he loved claymore. They have some similarities I've heard but guess you'll have to watch it to find out :/

Posted Image

#17 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:18

I didn't like the ending much at all, and the series appeared to lose steam at this point as there were sections of episodes dedicated to recaps and the reuse of frames through memories to the point where it was overdone.

It had some good points, but could have been better, and I think they were really bold to
Spoiler
considering they had reached the end of the manga for material.

#18 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 19:11

Like I said before, the anime's ending was a bit meh but it was ok for what they had. Personally though I totally wouldn't have mind a cliff hanger ending
Spoiler
Read the manga from where the anime ends and you will know what I'm talking about. :/

Posted Image

#19 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 20:19

View PostComr4de, on 27 Jul 2008, 20:11, said:

Read the manga from where the anime ends and you will know what I'm talking about. :/

Even though I have not started reading the manga yet, I would suggest starting from the beginning of the manga so that the style has time to grow on you.

I wouldn't jump into the deep end of a pool without first getting used to the water and learning some of the basic strokes.

#20 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:28

Thats a good suggestion too, since the anime did lack some of the thing the manga covered and well, I love the art style to the point where I'd recommend that too :P

I'd also recommend getting the Manga's off of Amazon instead of reading the online ones, even thought the online ones are nice it does nothing to contribute to the Yagi (not Yogi :P) and well it's always nice to actually have the hard copy in your own two hands.

Here's where you can check the manga online.

OneManga
It's a great site with many other series and the fan subs they bring to the archives are well made.

Posted Image

#21 Revan

The Sneaky Cannon Fodder in the Background

• 2231 posts
  • Projects: Science!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 14:26

I have officially been assimilated :P
Though I've only seen the first episode, I'm pretty sure I like it quite a lot, even though it is a bit too bloody for my taste it still seems very awesome.

Also the first thing I did after watching the first episode was.... ... starting to "acquire" the soundtrack of course, because it seems awesome :P

This is officially the second anime I really like, the first one being avatar.
Posted Image

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#22 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 19:34

Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#23 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 20:00

I was disappointed how the anime ended. I wish they'd have kept going with the manga storyline, it's far more refined.

Posted Image

#24 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 21:37

There was no material to work with at that time and, well,
Spoiler

#25 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 23:39

Here's just a few things that you guys may want to see and answers a lot of questions - right from the developer's mouth :P

I'd like to quote this particular part of it since it highlights a lot of what happened in the anime and some of their plans:

The director knew he would upset some Claymore fans by changing the last few episodes, but he has to change it in order to wrap up the story for the anime version. Especially many viewers who watching the anime have never read the manga before. They haven’t planned on the sequel yet, they said they may do it if there is enough fan support and financial success (like DVD sales and overseas distribution).

As far as I'm concerned, it totally depends on how the Global market accepts Claymore, if so, I think we can indeed expect a second season. The testing ground is this fall in North America, if it sells well then it may spread to Europe and at least gather enough cash for another season. That is wishful thinking however but I am crossing my fingers. In all though, we still have the manga and who knows what may happen between now and the day Claymore's story actually ends, it may be picked up by another studio or we'd have OVA's. Only time will tell.

Anyways enough about that serious business, found something that some of you who may have finished it may find funny :P
Spoiler Alert, suggested to only see it after you finish it.
First segment is quite funny and there are just a few around the corner and well some are just kinda lame. Hit or miss really.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users