What character do you want elected leaders to have?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:32

The idea for this topic came from a lot of the coverage and analysis I've seen of the American Presidential election and in particular to how each Presidential and Vice-Presidential's character is analysed (as opposed to their policies). Sarah Palin is portrayed by the media as a folksy, small town girl connecting with (her words, not mine) joe six-pack and hockey mums, and gaining women's votes simply for having a Y chromosone. Barack Obama is portrayed as elitist, John McCain is, as they point out constantly, a 'maverick'. In the build-up to the recent VP debate much of the newspaper coverage about Joe Biden focused on how important it was he didn't argue too heavily against Palin, that he would appear patronising, that nobody liked a know-it-all.
Ultimately all this seems to lead to the point where character (virtues and vices, who connects with who, who comes across as what) is more important than policies in the eyes of voters: it doesn't matter what you say, but how you say it.
This phenomenon is by no means specific to this election, it's just the one that's happening now. You can just as easily remember Clinton's soccer mums or in British Politics Iain Duncan Smith as the 'quiet man', Gordon Brown criticised for being dour, etc.

The question is this: what character do you want elected leaders to have?
Do we value some attributes above politics? Which attributes do we value in a politician?

Dauth's comment: The references to the US '08 election are intended as an example, please do not get hung up on that debate.

#2 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:02

While respecting Dauth's comment on not getting hung up at the current US election debate.. it's actually hard not to, or isn't it?

it doesn't matter what you say, but how you say it.

If that were to be the truth people with a lot of charisma like, as said, Barack Obama or in recent History, Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn, have the keys to victory. This is also supported in the facts. Barack Obama looks like his passionate speeches and ways of connecting with people are leading towards a victory. Pim Fortuyn was a somewhat similar story. He had controversial ideas and his outspoken homosexuality and other minor things made him not your average politician, but his charisma was really what brought him far. Far enough to once be predicted to be the new premier of the Netherlands. Until he got assassinated of course, sadly.

However there are a few sidenotes to this. I'll keep it short, if the charisma and character of the person is all that counts, then why has even mr. Obama started throwing around tax-decreases for his precious 'middle class', while might he make it into the oval office, there is a 12 billion national debt waiting for him. Is that needed? Or are american people really that stupid.
Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:31

View PostDauth, on 12 Oct 2008, 12:32, said:

Do we value some attributes above politics? Which attributes do we value in a politician?

Simple answer, honesty and conviction.

Edit: Damn hit the wrong button.

I think that if a politician has both, then for me the rest of his personality kind of feels irrelevant. Granted both of these are rather difficult to judge in an election, but imo they are the most fundamental traits for someone leading a country.

Edited by Wizard, 12 October 2008 - 17:33.

#4 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 13 October 2008 - 00:14

View PostDauth, on 12 Oct 2008, 11:32, said:

Preferably not existing in the first place.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#5 logical2u

Professional

• 382 posts
  • Projects: A figment of my imagination

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:11

Elected officials need to be self-deprecating, have integrity, honesty, and be willing to work for the people - not for the pay check.

How often we get people like this is debatable. Very few are self-deprecating - a quick glance at comedy shows will show you this - and it seems like many are only working as little as they can these days... An ideal politician would be working over-time on crisis issues, unlike the Canadian parliament, which has a summer holiday...
Keep Going On Till Dawn
How Many Times Must Another Line Be Drawn
We Could Be Down And Gone
But We Hold On

#6 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 13:18

I have often thought that the principle positions of power should be given to those who don't want it. How that would work is beyond me, but it would hopefully guarantee that the persons in power weren't there for their own ends.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users