The US Presidential Elections 2008

71 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:00

With the US Presidential Elections starting on the 4th November 2008, so within 24 hours, it would appear that Barrack Obama is leading in the latest opinion polls, with McCain trailing in several key swing states, including previous Republican states such as Florida, Pennsylvania and Nevada. Turnout for the elections is expected to reach a record high since 1960, of roughly 130 million Americans, after almost 18 months of campaigning by both parties. The massive turnout this year has been seen as a result of the campaigning by both parties, but also because of Americans turning out to vote for people that they do not wish to see holding power, such as people turning out in huge numbers in Wyoming to vote against Obama, whereas other Americans have turned out to vote against McCain because of his choice as Sarah Palin as a running mate, who people see as a radical, and being a destabilising factor within the party, due to her 'bulldog approach'. As it stands, Obama holds the lead over McCain, with a 6-11% deficit coming into the final day of the elections. Along the campaign trail there have certainly been enough moments to make it one of the most memorable elections in living memory, such as the choice of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate, who when asked about international experience talked of looking across the Bering Strait and seeing Russians on the far shore. Other moments include the aforementioned Palin being portrayed on Saturday Night Live by Tina Fey, provoking laughter and outrage across the United States, or Obama spending roughly $6 million on a 30 minute advertisement on October 29th, even delaying a World Series game to allow for the advert to be shown. As the day of judgment draws near, the candidates are spending the last day of the campaign jetting between key swing states in an attempt to obtain the last few vital votes that could swing the states to their party.

Where do you feel that the vote of the American people lies? Who would you like to see win the election, and how, if any, would you see an impact in your country, whether it be the US or abroad.?

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:06

Barrack Hussein Obama has better odds, but he is not a shoe-in. I would have supported Ron Paul, but he lost the primary. Now, I would much rather have Bob Barr than McCain, but only McCain has a snowball's chance in hell whereas Barr doesn't.

EDIT: How many of you guys have voted already?, mail-in ballot for me

Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 04 November 2008 - 09:09.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:09

If I was an American, I wouldn't vote two-party. I would vote Nader, as his policies and views line up to mine the best out of any of the candidates.

Edited by Alias, 04 November 2008 - 09:10.

Posted Image

#4 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:30

I prefer Obama above McCain, and I hope it ends soon, because here in Holland you're nearly bombarded to death with news about this, for several months >_>
Anyways, even though I don't think it will happen, my fear is that if Obama wins, you get something similar to Martin Luther King (aka shot to death), and I don't want to know the results of that.
Posted Image

#5 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:09

Voted should be limited to those with an extensive knowledge of the political system which is why I will not vote when it comes around to the UK (Unless of course I happen to find some time to look into the details). I feel an ill-informed vote is worse than no vote.

Posted Image

#6 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:40

After 18 months of campaigning I am now of the attitude, just make your sodding mind up America. Frankly after the Bush/Blair premiership, I see the UK moving away from the US over the next few years anyway, so this matters less than it did four years ago.

View PostEpicWarbz, on 4 Nov 2008, 11:09, said:

Voted should be limited to those with an extensive knowledge of the political system which is why I will not vote when it comes around to the UK (Unless of course I happen to find some time to look into the details). I feel an ill-informed vote is worse than no vote.

The whole point of modern European democracy is that anyone, no matter how useless, stupid or otherwise irritating have a vote and a say. I don't look at my local candidates, I just try to hurt Labour with my vote. All you need to do is make a decision.

#7 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:00

Obama, Obama, Obama. Honestly, I just can't stand Palin- what with her "Drill Baby Drill" and her exclusive support for teaching creationism. Oh, that and her little thing about foreign policy experience. I'm not huge on either candidate, but imo, this nation is going to be in the trash if its McCain.
Swimmer
kinda, sorta alive.

#8 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:06

IIRC correctly, Obama wanted seperation of church and state?

Posted Image

#9 Mortecha

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:18

Obama all the way. He represents the most stability of the 2 candidates. Only time will tell however.

#10 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:43

I would actually suggest that McCain would present the stability. From an outsiders perspective he seems to follow closely the doctrine of the Republicans and Bush so therefore little would seemingly change, foreign policy, taxation etc. It's Obama that will mix it up, allegedly.

Edited by Wizard, 04 November 2008 - 16:43.

#11 Jok3r

veritas vos liberabit

• Project Team
  • 1909 posts
  • Projects: Hangar 13 Projects

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:48

Not that mixing it up is such a bad thing at this point...
kinda, sorta alive.

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 16:51

Absolutley agree. It is arguable that the 2 terms have caused recent issues, although it could infact be the personality. That is open for debate and another topic.

Change should be embraced in most circumstances and politics is an area that receives it too infrequently.

#13 markintellect

Professional

• 397 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 17:10

View PostWizard, on 4 Nov 2008, 9:00, said:

Barrack Obama

*Barack
Posted Image

48 65 6c 6c 6f 2c 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 21

#14 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 17:19

Blame AJ it was his PM the text came from. I'm not a spell checker.

#15 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 18:01

Beg me one typo in the whole thing :)
For there can be no death without life.

#16 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 18:25

McCain definitely has lost it for me and it wasn't his own fault, it is that of President Bush. Having him leave his country to crumble into decadence for eight years to spend 10 billion a month on an idealist war on terrorism, one some of them now admit that they just can't win, may be a one sided view, but the thing that I really discredit him for is not signing the Kyoto Protocol and last year blocking off things at the climate conference, leading to a useless treaty. And the fact that he won because of the little maimed system in the USA that let's Bush win while in the entire united states.. he had less votes.

No way I would vote for a republican party member. Democrats all the way.

Edited by Aftershock, 04 November 2008 - 18:26.

Posted Image

#17 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 21:18

View PostAftershock, on 4 Nov 2008, 20:25, said:

No way I would vote for a republican party member. Democrats all the way.
Quoted for agreement, but McCain is for a republican actually a politician with relatively moderate views. Still, I'd rather have Obama win, if only because he's black. I think it would do the USA good to have (had) a black president. Of course, I also agree with his views more than with McCain's.

Even quite left-wing US democrats are more right-wing than our most right-wing parties, though.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 04 November 2008 - 22:34

I believe that Barack Obama represents the better choice for president if only because of McCain's plan to cut taxes even further. Normally in a financial crisis this would make sense but not when you have an eight figure deficit in your government budget. There's also the fact that McCain is 72 years old and has a history of heart issues and that would open up the white house to Sarah Palin. No I definitely agree that Obama is the better choice for president this year.
Posted Image

#19 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 00:14

Looks like I'm the only Republican/Libertarian here.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#20 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 05 November 2008 - 00:46

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 4 Nov 2008, 4:06, said:

Barrack Hussein Obama

Why must people keep saying stuff like that >_>.

Edited by Soul, 05 November 2008 - 04:26.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#21 Comr4de

DO IT MAGGOT

• Gold Member
  • 5630 posts
  • Projects: SWR Productions

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:07

Obama wins.

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome
Posted Image

#22 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:26

Ok, he won. Now what?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#23 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:53

Common sense prevailed, McCain's concession speech was very good though. Alot of people on the BBC talked of that as the old McCain, who had got lost in the past year. You don't see british politicians congratulating each other when their opponent wins :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:54

View PostSoul, on 5 Nov 2008, 2:46, said:

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 4 Nov 2008, 4:06, said:

Barrack Hussein Obama

Why must people keep saying stuff like that >_>.
...Because that's his name, for one thing?
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:55

I've never seen anyone say "John Sidney McCain, the third" before...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users