Separating the Church and the State

48 replies to this topic

#26 Zero

Commander&Chief of the Order of the Black Knights

• 581 posts
  • Projects: None, unfortunately

Posted 23 November 2008 - 00:47

The Basilisk, on 22 Nov 2008, 15:35, said:

Little by little courts are removing them (finally). There was a big problem in Utah I think about a court removing it and the Mormons went crazy about it. Its a slow process because the US is so secular. Its hard to say that we aren't when so many people were hollering "Obama is a muslim!!!" like its a bad thing a reason not to vote for him...Its a shame. Honestly, I love my country but I kinda wish I lived in Europe :P

Same here, but not Europe. I mean, where we are liberal on so many things (of which religion IS NOT one, the law says it is... but the people say no; so is being gay/lesbian), and Europe is liberal on what we aren't, it is also liberal on many things we enjoy, such as violence. The problem with Europe is that it is (no offense) paranoid about its own safety (although I don't blame them TOO MUCH since about 75% of the wars I know of-including the Great Wars such as WWI, WWII, and so on- have either taken place there or they've been VERY heavily involved), so a lot of rights are forfeited (such as some freedoms of privacy).
Posted Image
Posted Image
[indent]Garrod "Newtype Killer" Ran[/indent]

#27 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 00:53

Zero, on 23 Nov 2008, 11:47, said:

The Basilisk, on 22 Nov 2008, 15:35, said:

Little by little courts are removing them (finally). There was a big problem in Utah I think about a court removing it and the Mormons went crazy about it. Its a slow process because the US is so secular. Its hard to say that we aren't when so many people were hollering "Obama is a muslim!!!" like its a bad thing a reason not to vote for him...Its a shame. Honestly, I love my country but I kinda wish I lived in Europe :P

Same here, but not Europe. I mean, where we are liberal on so many things (of which religion IS NOT one, the law says it is... but the people say no; so is being gay/lesbian), and Europe is liberal on what we aren't, it is also liberal on many things we enjoy, such as violence. The problem with Europe is that it is (no offense) paranoid about its own safety (although I don't blame them TOO MUCH since about 75% of the wars I know of-including the Great Wars such as WWI, WWII, and so on- have either taken place there or they've been VERY heavily involved), so a lot of rights are forfeited (such as some freedoms of privacy).
No offence, but I really could not help but laugh my arse off at this. Let me say two words: PATRIOT act.

Posted Image

#28 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 14:08

Topic Closed: Pending discussion between leaders

Unlocked after discussions completed.

Edited by Dauth, 24 November 2008 - 14:11.

#29 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 23:35

Dauth, on 24 Nov 2008, 15:08, said:

What does that mean?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 23:39

Zero, on 25 Nov 2008, 23:35, said:

Dauth, on 24 Nov 2008, 15:08, said:

What does that mean?

I locked this thread as I felt a rule was breached, I have discussed this with another moderator (in the place of Wizard who was unavailable) and we reached a conclusion. I acted on this conclusion and thus was able to reopen the thread. I will not go into detail about what the conclusion was and urge people to return to the topic. To be clear this is a moderator instruction to return to topic.

#31 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 18:11

Okay, to return to my previous conversation, I will say something briefly and leave it alone, I understand what you mean about the Patriot Act. Although, to clarify, it is a HELL of a lot harder to do that in America than in most European countries because ours was FOUNDED on liberty and freedom, so... well, just look at the criticism he got, even from politicians. Although, I do REALLY envy Europe, in America we are VERY bias towards religion (which I HATE, albeit it does seem to be a side effect of ALL religions, some fanatics claiming they are the ONLY way) and we, as a country, are afraid of sex (and its lightened up the past few years, although its starting to degress again).

Another reason for seperating them are to keep them out of school. Imagine teaching creationism. You might say "sure, there's no proof for evolution," but there is SOME proof for evolution and almost NO proof for creationism (at least that will prove superior to evolution). Schools are places of not opinion, but facts, a problem I have with history, it's bias. And as such places, of education, factuality, they MUST ONLY teach what can be proven, not the opinion of a book. Also, when a school adopts a religion, think of the children who'll get hurt (such as the Muslim kids who will be shunned and made fun of because of their differing beliefs-as most Americans are Christian, and that church and the Islamics don't get along unfortunatrely). So, again, I say.... NAY!!!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 EX-P.F.C. Wintergreen

Under Construction

• 578 posts
  • Projects: School, College Applications, Competitive Swimming

Posted 01 December 2008 - 21:06

While I believe church and state need to be separated, there is a slight exception in education. It is supposed to be non-biased, meaning it needs to at least show the other major theories out there (of which creationism is the big other one).
Formerly:

General Admission

The Basilisk

#33 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 21:08

You can teach the existence of religions in a RE lesson, but please keep your Theology off my Biology. There is no reason recognised by any decent independent scientific body that a religious theory can compete. I wouldn't discredit religion in school, but I see no reason to give it and credit in a scientific manner. Creationism doesn't have any reasoned backing it is based on a book that has been mistranslated twice (minimum) and a Doctrine that would see homosexuals butchered in the street as unholy.

Edited by Dauth, 01 December 2008 - 21:12.

#34 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 00:49

You know, if we didn't have public schools we wouldn't have to worry about whether only representing evolution is unfair or not. Just a thought.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#35 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:04

No, because we'd have far worse problems to overshadow that, then. Like a complete lack of education for the majority of the population, and a regression to the 19th century level.

So that's not really an option. Instead of wondering about the school system itself wondering about the content of classes is more effective and productive.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#36 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:17

CodeCat, on 2 Dec 2008, 2:04, said:

No, because we'd have far worse problems to overshadow that, then. Like a complete lack of education for the majority of the population, and a regression to the 19th century level.

So that's not really an option. Instead of wondering about the school system itself wondering about the content of classes is more effective and productive.

Even if that was true, it still does not justify the means to pay for it(taxes).

I already know where this is going, so in order to prevent us from getting off topic, could we just not discuss this any further, or create a new thread.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#37 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:45

I agree it would be worst, and not just that, think about the Religious Schools teaching creationism as part of a SCIENCE class. Something with no proof, considered SCIENCE... HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?! I'll admit, I HATE biology, but at least keep it a SCIENCE not a myth. If all schools were private, then a whole load would teach creationism, I think teaching it should just be banned outside of a religion class anyway, I mean, were else can it POSSIBLY apply? No, should not be taught in ANY Science class, and if you disagree I have a nice big fossil I can shove up your- Still, in a class of philosophy/religion, I'm willing to concede.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:47

Zero, on 2 Dec 2008, 1:45, said:

If all schools were private, then a whole load would teach creationism,

So? It's not like you have to go to them, unlike public school.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#39 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:52

However, those schools that are free/cheap would most likely be Christian/Catholic (since they run the most free/cheap ones I can think of;hell I went to a private Catholic School), and since I can't afford any secular school... guess where I'd have to go? Seriously, if any biology teacher ever brings up Creationism over Evolution in a class, I'll go to the board and work to get him fired.... SCIENCE NEEDS PROOF! Without it it's not science, its... SPECULATION at best. At least my school (San Miguel) taught evolution over creationism, hell that was never mentioned, but I doubt that that's something that most religious schools would do....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:30

I'm sure with the extra money you'd have from not having to pay taxes for those schools would be more than enough.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#41 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:54

I was at a Catholic school and our biology teacher taught us about evolution while our RE teacher taught us about creationism. People decided to follow their own beliefs with most choosing to follow evolution. Then again evolution isn't a completely confirmed theory, it's just the one with the most proof justifying it sort of like the Big Bang theory versus steady-state theory (Genesis is far out of the question).
Posted Image

#42 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 18:16

However, if no school should be FORCED to teach creationism, something many people have wanted to do (I think Sarah Palin was one). Again, schools are places of learning, and more importantly, places of SCIENCE, unbias SCIENCE, therefore you MUST have PROOF to your assesment, of which there is NO unbias proof of for Creationism.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 20:35

School does not teach creationism in science class unless the syllabus is flawed.

Studies of religion is for that stuff.

Edited by Alias, 02 December 2008 - 20:36.

Posted Image

#44 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 22:38

However, some schools/politicians are pushing to do so; also, some Catholic schools teach it as a sidecourse in science.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 EX-P.F.C. Wintergreen

Under Construction

• 578 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 00:32

All I'm meant by it was that schools are supposed to as non-biased as possible and even if its in only history, creationism deserves mention and a little bit of attention because it is believed by so so SO many people in the world that it is at least necessary to understand it. I try to look at this in a non-biased fashion because I'm very non-religious. I'm agnostic leaning athiest and the church I would attend is one notch right of the most liberal christian sect in the US. (United Church of Christ for the those interested).

But, to repeat. All I meant was that as such an influential idea it needs at least mention because of its popularity. I'm not saying that if Hannah Montana is popular that it should be taught in a Fine Arts class just rather important issues like "how we got here."

But @ Dauth, I totally agree that religion (or anything else NOT backed by science, math or reason) should be totally absent in science and mathematics classes.

Respectfully,

T_B

Also @ Zero, Catholic schools are totally legitimate in teaching these ideals because they are private schools are not compulsory (in the US at least) as required by the Federal Government. It is the parents right to pull them out of the school and send them to a public school.

Edited by The Basilisk, 03 December 2008 - 00:34.

Formerly:

General Admission

The Basilisk

#46 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:18

The Basilisk, on 3 Dec 2008, 0:32, said:

But, to repeat. All I meant was that as such an influential idea it needs at least mention because of its popularity. I'm not saying that if Hannah Montana is popular that it should be taught in a Fine Arts class just rather important issues like "how we got here."

I have no problem in history class and I agree, but teaching it as science? NO!!!!

But @ Dauth, I totally agree that religion (or anything else NOT backed by science, math or reason) should be totally absent in science and mathematics classes.

Agree there too.

Also @ Zero, Catholic schools are totally legitimate in teaching these ideals because they are private schools are not compulsory (in the US at least) as required by the Federal Government. It is the parents right to pull them out of the school and send them to a public school.

I know that, I went to one and learned the rights of a Catholic School, however, Science is a standard, its like Math, no matter where you go 2+2=4 (or fish in some cases....) and Energy=Matter. If you label something with no proof as Science, then it is not so. And if there is a school which only teaches Creationism... well, I won't touch on that. Anyway, Science is a standard, in that ALL Science needs to have proof, and therefore Creationism should NEVER be taught as a science. In fact, I think that there should be National Standards for ALL Science classes, made by REAL scientists of those fields.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 EX-P.F.C. Wintergreen

Under Construction

• 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 00:56

Well I guess we're on the same page then ;)
Formerly:

General Admission

The Basilisk

#48 Zero

• 581 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 19:23

FO SHO!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 19:27

Right, I'm not going to discipline anyone, since through the thread content has been running out.

Expand on your points or don't post. I won't ask again and this does apply to every post in the PA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users