My newly completed Ultramarines

11 replies to this topic

#1 Lord PieMonster

Amateur

• 149 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:14

Hey guys,
so over this long Thanksgiving weekend i finished my space marine army!
still small, its 830-ish points iirc. anyways, here are the pictures i have so far (they're big so ill just link them):
The Captain. check out that battle standard. impressive, no?
Terminator Sergeant. I'll get pics of the rest of the squad later.
Dreadnought with multi-melta and powerfist/stormbolter
Tactical Squad. I have 2, this is my better one.
The Sergeant of the above tactical squad.

I have more pictures of my completed army, terminator squad, etc, but my camera is freakin the hell out right now. I'll post them as soon as i can.

#2 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:24

I'd advise using a darker blue and adding some silver to it, to give it a slightly metallic look.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#3 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:38

Oh yes, this is so spammy.

Edited by JJ, 01 December 2008 - 07:38.

#4 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:04

Try to follow more of a colour scheme, the Terminator Serg has silver trimming while all your other marines have Gold/Bronze.
The Dreadnought is too blue and unscathed, try adding some Boltgun Metal along the edges to make it look more battle weathered, this is an ancient machine of death, after all.

When doing so don't use the tip of the brush, Dip your brush lightly in the paint, remove the blob of paint from your brush so that you are left with just enogh paint to cover the bristles of your brush, and use the sides of the bristles instead of the tip to paint along the corners of the Dreadnought. Using the side of the bristles is usually better while you aren't as accurate with the tip.

Judging from the large open grey areas on your dreanought I'd have to ask you if you even undercoated your models first?

On the whole, assuming you've been into the hobby for about a year or two now, it's not bad at all.

Edited by Nidmeister, 01 December 2008 - 11:05.

Posted Image

#5 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:23

Also, to add to the point about adding silver to give a metallic effect, get a brush dip it in silver slightly, then wipe it off on a towel and then brush the models armor, you should have small amount of silver come off onto his armor. That's a tip I was given in one of the workshop sessions in store a few years ago.

You should attend a few, the guys are really helpful.

Posted Image

#6 Lord PieMonster

Amateur

• 149 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:20

/sigh
not to get all cranky on you guys, but...
you realize you're looking at about a solid week (minus 3 days of school/hw)'s worth of painstaking effort?
I post pictures on here to show off my first warhammer army ever, which I am, needless to say, very proud of.
Yet through this thread there has not been a single "looks good" or "good job" or "grats"

FYI: I did undercoat it with black primer, i used the dark gray paint there b/c i though it looked a bit more appropriate than silver.
I do know what dry-brushing is, i used it for the brown on the multimelta (though i'll admit that wasn't the best job ever) and the wires on the body.

again, i don't want to be too cranky towards you guys, because you've been nothing but helpful for all my time here, but serisously. a little praise wouldnt hurt (even if you don't really think its great).

Regards,
Lord PieMonster

PS. As for the sliver-drybrushed "battle worn" armor, personally, i prefer the shiny new look to the beat up old look. This preference has been built up over several; years of model making, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Lord PieMonster, 02 December 2008 - 02:52.

#7 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:39

I was thinking a silver dry brushed shiny "brand new car smell" armor when I suggested doing that, not battle worn rusted hulks.

The reason why there isn't much to be said in the way of 'good job' is because there is just too much solid unbroken blue. That said, it is very difficult to get these models to look good.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#8 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:26

View PostLord PieMonster, on 2 Dec 2008, 2:20, said:

/sigh
not to get all cranky on you guys, but...
you realize you're looking at about a solid week (minus 3 days of school/hw)'s worth of painstaking effort?

[...]

Regards,
Lord PieMonster

PS. As for the sliver-drybrushed "battle worn" armor, personally, i prefer the shiny new look to the beat up old look. This preference has been built up over several; years of model making, so I do know what I'm talking about.

What are you on about? No-one has said they were bad, we have given you tips to make them even better.

Nid said

it's not bad at all.

Which is a compliment IIRC. And yes, they are good, you just need to read between the lines of what people are saying I guess.

Posted Image

#9 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:41

Protip: Everything in SYD is spam, hence unserious.

#10 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:57

If you can't accept criticism, why bother posting up here at all?

I'm aware people have to start somewhere, and if Someone was bashing my first set of Space Marines, I'd be pretty pissed off too. But if I was given advice from some veterans in the hobby, well I'd accept it with open arms. Thing is, nobody here is bashing your marines, we're giving friendly advice.

The fact is, no matter how good you are, or will become, at painting these models, there are always going to be areas to improve, and people are always going to be giving you tips and advice. If you start rejecting it now, you aren't really going to get very far.

Do not take this the wrong way, we are not telling you how to paint your Marines. You can paint your marines how you want to, nobody is going to stop you doing that. We are, however, telling you to not react in such a way in future.

Edited by Nidmeister, 02 December 2008 - 17:37.

Posted Image

#11 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:13

Moved to Other Art.

You would do well do listen to Warbz and Nidmeister's advice.

It comes across to me that you'd like people to tell you what you want to hear. When you publish anything do not always expect to receive comments that you would like - otherwise you're going to live a life of disappointment. The comments here have been fair and constructive as they are pointing out areas where you could improve.

Edited by Stinger, 02 December 2008 - 12:57.

#12 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:23

Nid said it better than myself, I'm not as articulate as I'd like to be.

*Goes to UrbanDictionary to learn new words.*

Edited by Warbz, 02 December 2008 - 12:23.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users