Red Alert 3 expansion pack announced!

437 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:30

Yes, EA has announced that RA3 will get an expansion packed named "RA3: Uprising"! It will feature a new campaign, and Commander Challenges (seems much like General Challenges from the looks of it). You can find more on this link.
Also, a preview pic:
Posted Image

Edited by Dutchygamer, 08 January 2009 - 16:33.

Posted Image

#2 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:48

I like the Allied Gunship.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#3 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:50

Are we seeing the first glimpse of the Allied Rocketeer?

#4 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts
  • Projects: NLS + Situation Zero

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:51

Released in March? A bit early if you ask me, I mean the SDK for Red Alert 3 isn't out yet.

Oh and I hope the desolater returns.

Edited by Zhen, 08 January 2009 - 16:52.

Posted Image

#5 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:55

Download only is a stupid idea, really.

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 16:55

Bowmen!?

Posted Image

#7 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 08 January 2009 - 17:00

View PostZhen, on 8 Jan 2009, 16:51, said:

Released in March? A bit early if you ask me, I mean the SDK for Red Alert 3 isn't out yet.

MARCH?! Crikey, EA don't hang about, do they?

View PostErik, on 8 Jan 2009, 16:55, said:

Download only is a stupid idea, really.

^ This.

#8 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 17:01

Oh it's a content pack not a expansion.
Posted Image

#9 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 08 January 2009 - 17:06

Precisely what is the difference between the two?

#10 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 17:53

View PostAlias, on 8 Jan 2009, 17:55, said:

Bowmen!?

^This.
I like the Gunship. Specter on steroids. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#11 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 17:58

View PostRich19, on 8 Jan 2009, 18:06, said:

nothing? unless one is for downloable content only and the other is for retail versions of it

i agree on the only downloable = stupid

(nothing was here before, shut up :D) I agree with Alias, i mean, bowmen? even i think is a little too much

.......and how the hell the plane is going to aim to the ground at all?

Electronic Arts has officially unveiled Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 expansion Uprising, which will be a standalone add-on exclusively available for PC gamers via digital distribution in March.

stand alone? wait that means the ones like me who buy the vainilla game will be able to get it for free?

......ok is EA so that will NEVER happen

View PostZhen, on 8 Jan 2009, 17:51, said:

I mean the SDK for Red Alert 3 isn't out yet.

maybe they are actually waiting to release the expansion pack so the SDK is compatible with it instead of the other way around

Edited by KiraSama, 08 January 2009 - 18:04.

Posted Image

#12 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:28

View PostKiraSama, on 8 Jan 2009, 17:58, said:

View PostRich19, on 8 Jan 2009, 18:06, said:

nothing? unless one is for downloable content only and the other is for retail versions of it

i agree on the only downloable = stupid

Technically I can see the economic sense in this. Producing it to DVD is costly compared with downloadable options. They are taking the businessmens approach and going for the most cost effective way of distribution. I am surprised the actual game never came like this is a super zipped up format. Also, given the need for online connections to play etc it does mean they know exactly how many downloads will be needed etc.

(nothing was here before, shut up :D ) I agree with Alias, i mean, bowmen? even i think is a little too much

Doesn't seem out of touch with their design ethos, not that I agree with it. How is it too much when you have "Mecha-Pengu" or whatever it's called? It's all part of the elaborate design strategy of the game and seems fitting, even though it's not personal choice.

#13 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:35

Update from APOC.

EA_APOC said:

Hey guys,

It seems like for many of you, this is not what you expected, but i'd like to say, why should we always be so predictable? =) That said, after Red Alert 3 released we heavily analyzed community feedback and did extensive survey research across those who have purchased Red Alert 3. One thing we heard loud and clear was MORE STORY and UNITS. So, we decided that we would try something new and create a campaign expansion that delivered on exactly what many were asking for in an expansion for Red Alert 3. Uprising provides a continuation of the story line for each of the 3 factions, plus we’ve added a 4th mini-campaign which will be centered around the newest commando, Yuriko. We think you will really enjoy the Yuriko campaign and agree that it plays out like nothing you've seen before in a Command & Conquer game.

We have definitely not outruled bringing Uprising to stores, right now it is going to be a digital download exclusive available this March, but we are absolutely looking in to other distribution models. Please do not make any assumptions, i'll keep you posted as more info becomes available.

Personal opinion here, I loved Yuri, a fantastic character, but I think Yuriko's time to rise is now and will be a character you will enjoy learning a lot more about. Tanya and Kane in my opinion are the C&C characters that should almost always be there in a Tiberium or Red Alert game, they've been there since the beginning. I think Expansions can take more liberty in their stories as they are extensions of the oringal story and side-stories untold. To me, that that is extremely interesting.

BTW, didn't Yuri get eaten by a T-Rex? =) It's not exactly like Tony Almeida coming back in 24 this season, or every character on HEROES who dies and comes back to life again, he got eaten by a T-Rex! I think he is pretty well digested there, hehe.

-APOC

So we could see it in stores.

Edited by Zhen, 08 January 2009 - 18:37.

Posted Image

#14 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:38

View PostWizard, on 8 Jan 2009, 19:28, said:

Doesn't seem out of touch with their design ethos, not that I agree with it. How is it too much when you have "Mecha-Pengu" or whatever it's called? It's all part of the elaborate design strategy of the game and seems fitting, even though it's not personal choice.

mecha tengu? well maybe to some guys like me who grow up watching robotech/macross and other mech animes arent that ridiculus, after all one of the main points of the legs in the vf-1 in macross was to put different maneouvers in air and to be able to take land as a VTOL fighter

i mean i have nothing aganst ra3 for taking himself silly....

.....but come on, a bow? :D what kind of strategy element will make? |8

also god news in being able to see in stores, but i see the chance to this not being the only expansion pack....

.....then again i had said the same about kane's wrath and ended hiting me in the face

Edited by KiraSama, 08 January 2009 - 18:44.

Posted Image

#15 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:46

Will have to wait to see more.
Posted Image

#16 Archon

Lurking Around

• 1810 posts
  • Projects: How to become the best, waiting for SC2 and DOW2

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:48

I like new imperial mech.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:54

View PostArchon, on 8 Jan 2009, 18:48, said:

I like new imperial mech.

It's the Steel Ronin if you're talking about the Naginata it's holding.
Posted Image

#18 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 18:58

I really don't know what to think of this...
My judgement depends on whether they'll release a packaged retail version in stores or not. Also, they better have an option to de-authenticate it. Also, I bet 10 bucks that the fourth campaign will be about Yuriko running riot and breaking loose from the Empire, hence 'Uprising'. The campaign will probably feature her as your only playable unit, perhaps with a bunch of new special abilities and RPG elements......Kind of like the upcoming Company of Heroes addon, eh!

Edited by Rayburn, 08 January 2009 - 19:00.

#19 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:03

More mech units and bowmen? So many crazy stuffs :D.

I can't wait new commander challenge.

#20 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:08

View PostKiraSama, on 8 Jan 2009, 18:38, said:

View PostWizard, on 8 Jan 2009, 19:28, said:

mecha tengu?

A silly play on words and a stupid childrens claymation character. I didn't expect many would get it tbh.

View PostKiraSama, on 8 Jan 2009, 18:38, said:

i mean i have nothing aganst ra3 for taking himself silly....

.....but come on, a bow? :D what kind of strategy element will make? |8

I don't see how it's any different to RPG myself? Just a touch more in keeping with the EotRS weird ass units. I mean no one complains about the mechs in that picture weilding naffing great pikes [insert correct name for the weapon]

#21 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:15

``A silly play on words and a stupid childrens claymation character.ยดยด

Oi! Pingu wasn't stupid. I loved that guy when I was a kid.

As for the weapon those mechs are wielding, I think they're called naginata. Also, do we have any confirmation that the mechs are called Steel Ronin? Kinda weird, after all, ronin were samurais who had no master. The code actually dictated that a samurai, upon the death of his lord, should commit seppuku and those who didn't would be shunned and dishonoured...

#22 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:16

That's the one, but typos aside, back to topic y'all.

#23 Kichō

文昭皇后

• Tester
  • 2140 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:21

I'm pretty sure it's the Steel Ronin as it says in the image and Cyro Legionaires and Desolators return with quite a few more.
Posted Image

#24 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 19:34

View PostZhen, on 8 Jan 2009, 20:21, said:

Cyro

i am not the best one to talk about typos

......but is twice i found that typo D:

I don't see how it's any different to RPG myself? Just a touch more in keeping with the EotRS weird ass units. I mean no one complains about the mechs in that picture weilding naffing great pikes [insert correct name for the weapon]

ouch, touche
Posted Image

#25 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 08 January 2009 - 20:48

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/27/oth...g_harbinger.jpg
http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/27/oth..._steelronin.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image