American English

31 replies to this topic

#26 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 18:28

View PostWNxmastrefubu, on 16 Jan 2009, 23:17, said:

its a dialect. at heart there the same

That comment was in response to this. I'm fully aware that they are all Latin languages. But with the logic in his comment, it can be inferred that all Latin languages are the same language, simply different dialects. I disagree with this. Granted, there are cognates, but that doesn't mean that the languages are the same, even if of the same origin.

-Rorschach

Edited by Rorschach, 17 January 2009 - 18:29.

#27 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 20 January 2009 - 23:02

View PostCodeCat, on 16 Jan 2009, 14:20, said:

Now the issue of spelling. Personally I don't consider it an issue at all, because it stands entirely separate from language. Djust bikoz ai rait inglish laik dhis duz not meik it anudher langwedzh. It's still the same language, just represented in writing in a different way. I could write it in Cyrillic and it would still be English.

Аре јоу абсолутелеј цертаин тхат ис цореццт? Бецаусе и'м нот со суре мајселф...

Sorry, just had to do it :duh:

Anyways, isn't there supposed to be an official declaration on this matter? Because, all we have is opinions right now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#28 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 23:22

View PostZ_mann, on 21 Jan 2009, 1:02, said:

View PostCodeCat, on 16 Jan 2009, 14:20, said:

Now the issue of spelling. Personally I don't consider it an issue at all, because it stands entirely separate from language. Djust bikoz ai rait inglish laik dhis duz not meik it anudher langwedzh. It's still the same language, just represented in writing in a different way. I could write it in Cyrillic and it would still be English.

Are you absolutely certain that is correct? Because I'm not so sure myself. Really not difficult.

But transliteration is something else than orthography, IMO they can't be compared. Both English and American write with the same alphabet. Still they spell things differently. A lot, in fact. Can you smell sulphur in the centre of your favourite neighbourhood?
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 23:42

Yet the spelling differences are so minute that they are easily understood either way, no?

-Rorschach

#30 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:21

View PostZ_mann, on 21 Jan 2009, 0:02, said:

Essentially, spelling is arbitrary just as the symbols used to represent words are arbitrary. The only thing that makes any writing English is that it is understood to be English by others. If I decide to write English in Chinese characters, then most of you would say it's no longer English. But what if you and the rest of English speakers had learned that each of those characters had an English word associated with it, just as they have Chinese words associated with them as well? To take the matter even further, there are actually languages that are written in more than one writing system. Serbian for example can be written in both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets. Korean, for a while at least, was written with both the native Hangul system and Chinese characters.

So the matter is simply whether a certain manner of writing is accepted by speakers of that language. English speakers are likely to accept only the Latin alphabet, and only when the letters of that alphabet are arranged in the ways according to English spelling rules. Yet my point is still shown: writing is merely a representation of language, and does not have any bearing on the internal structure of the language itself. English is still English no matter how you represent its words.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#31 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:57

View PostRorschach, on 20 Jan 2009, 18:42, said:

Yet the spelling differences are so minute that they are easily understood either way, no?

-Rorschach

Indeed I would say they are more or less the same languages with some different words sprinkled here and there.
Posted Image

#32 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:17

For once, I have an agreement with CC in the PC.

My 2 cents: I use British spellings very frequently(probably because I read The Economist), and nobody seems to notice.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users