Topol M

10 replies to this topic

#1 iEpicFail

• 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:12

I believe in it's current state the Topol M is far too much of a game ending weapon. The first problem is you can build three, so assuming you're a level five general you can rain down one nuclear, and three HE ICBMs. The second problem is the initial nuclear ICBM launch is un-preventable. For example, even if my Topol gets destroyed just as I reach rank five I'll still be able to launch as soon as the next one rolls out.

My suggestions vary depending on what you decide is the better solution. If you don't like my "nuclear ICBM" upgrade idea (see below), then I think the Topol should have a build limit of one. If you do like my upgrade idea, then I think two Topols are acceptable. However only one should be able to upgrade to nuclear ICBMs.

Nuclear ICBM upgrade:
So for example, I reach rank five, choose the nuclear ICBM generals ability, then I would upgrade my Topol to nuclear ICBMs. This could cost a little money, and take about 2-4 minutes to complete. The nuclear ICBM upgrade would be per unit, and an upgraded Topol wouldn't be able to fire HE ICMBs anymore. After you upgrade the topol you could then fire the nuclear ICBM, which could still have the six minute "reload" timer.

I think you've a very nice mod with a lot of potential. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Edited by iEpicFail, 25 January 2009 - 14:48.

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:39

iEpicFail, change your font colour it is unreadable on the Fallout Orange skin.

#3 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:44

Barely readable in Blue either...

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:59

As much as it is his fault, it will be a lot less effort on both ends for you to just select it, read it, and get along with life.

Since he has only made one post we can't label this as a trend.

Posted Image

#5 iEpicFail

• 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:26

View PostDauth, on 24 Jan 2009, 5:39, said:

iEpicFail, change your font colour it is unreadable on the Fallout Orange skin.

Wow. Then perhaps you should only allow colors you feel are "readable" on your skins. I could easily say it's your problem for using a different skin than the one I used to post. I feel my text is readable, albeit a little dark, but I don't care for the lighter shades of Purple.

View PostAlias, on 24 Jan 2009, 5:59, said:

As much as it is his fault, it will be a lot less effort on both ends for you to just select it, read it, and get along with life.

My fault? So, it's my fault for using a color allowed by the board? In that case you've only my deepest and most sincere apologies for my preference in color.

View PostAlias, on 24 Jan 2009, 5:59, said:

Since he has only made one post we can't label this as a trend.

And this will be my second and last.

#6 Zeke

The X General

• Project Team
  • 3504 posts
  • Projects: Deep Impact (formerly EC)

Posted 24 January 2009 - 13:39

see, this is why we can't have nice things...

#7 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 24 January 2009 - 13:52

Look my dear fellow, I think people have overreacted a little here (no, actually, a lot) and I'll try to sort this out a bit, okay? Firstly the colours come with the forum software and they're there for any forum colour scheme you might choose. For example, they'd work fine on the red scheme. But for the schemes most people use, it just makes a difficulty where there need be none. You aren't to blame for anything because you didn't know it was going to be difficult to read before you posted it, it just would've been nice if you'd have changed it afterward. It would also have been nice if people had been polite to you, which I hope I can rectify at least for my part.
Secondly it's unfortunate that you feel an incident like this is enough to turn you away from everything this community has to offer. In the case that you do check here again, I would ask you to reconsider your decision and hope you can look past this. There is an awful lot here that you can take advantage of, let me assure you of that, and the last impression that I want, though I can't really fault you for having it, is that this is a hostile, nasty place.
Lastly on the idea itself I will leave it entirely up to the TeoD team to offer their opinions here as mine are not informed enough to be helpful.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 15:35

Welcome to the forums, iEpicFail.

The views of CommanderJB's above me are mine as well, and I can assure you that this is an isolated incident and I sincerely hope that you are not put off posting on the forums here as that would be deeply regrettable. I'm always glad to see new members come aboard and support our hosted projects, and I am as annoyed as you are that this has happened.

Edited by Stinger, 24 January 2009 - 16:39.

#9 Alexei_Stukov

The Knowledge is the Best Expirience

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:07

I have already tested what you suggest months ago. But the engine doesn't allow only one unit to have this upgrade. that mean that only one Topol-M should be build. I don't think one is good idea. What can I make :
topol's remains 3 and can be upgraded to fire Nuke.
or topols's have no build limit and can be upgraded for nuke.
for example : Nuclear facility cost: 2000, Topol-M will cost 3000, Nuke Strike upgrade will cost 2000 per object.
also some balances to nuke damage are possible (a little bit small damage)
This will cause to remove nuke strike science since all other factions doesn't have for their super weapon.
What you think?

Edited by Alexei_Stukov, 25 January 2009 - 12:09.

#10 iEpicFail

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 14:47

View PostAlexei_Stukov, on 25 Jan 2009, 7:07, said:

I have already tested what you suggest months ago. But the engine doesn't allow only one unit to have this upgrade. that mean that only one Topol-M should be build. I don't think one is good idea. What can I make : topol's remains 3 and can be upgraded to fire Nuke.

So in addition to my idea not being usable, it's also not original. xD

Topols's have no build limit and can be upgraded for nuke.
for example : Nuclear facility cost: 2000, Topol-M will cost 3000, Nuke Strike upgrade will cost 2000 per object.
also some balances to nuke damage are possible (a little bit small damage)
This will cause to remove nuke strike science since all other factions doesn't have for their super weapon.
What you think?

Personally I don't care much for having the nuclear ICBM as a generals ability. As you said, all of the other factions can simply build and use their super weapons. I've probably played ten games using your mod so far, and I've only used the nuke one time. Usually I only get to rank three or four before the game ends.

Another idea I had is to make the Topol M and nuclear Topol M different units. For example, the current Topol M would retain it's name, but only be able to fire HE ICBMs. The nuclear version could be called something around "Topol M RS-24", RS-24 being the MIRV ICBM. The Topol M could have a build limit of two, while the Topol M RS-24 would be limited to one.

This would reduce the player to "only" being able to hit with two HE ICBMs every two minutes, and one RS-24 every six minutes. However this would still allow the player three TELs. One would simply be dedicated to firing MIRVs. This would also make it far easier to prevent nuclear strikes. Instead of taking out a Topol at the last second only to have one of the others nuke you.

Also I've a purely cosmetic suggestion. Could you add a small delay to the missile firing? Such as how the scud launcher fired in Zero Hour. I think it would look better with a two second(?) delay between the silo rising, and the missile launching.

#11 Alexei_Stukov

The Knowledge is the Best Expirience

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days

Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:07

It has delay but when you point at enemy unit the missile fires momentary. That is I think from the game engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users