Red Alert 3: Paradox

43 replies to this topic

#1 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:33

->ModDB Profile<-

Seems like a promising Red Alert 3 mod. Added three new factions: Confederate Revolutionaries, China and Electrical Protecrate (persumely alien), and various other but one feature I like the most: double the faction size.

Edited by FCS The General, 31 January 2009 - 01:42.

#2 Thorazine

Semi-Pro

• 281 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:19

Seen that a few days ago. Seems promising. Kinda looking forward to the Confeds the most as they seem a little closer to "Old School".
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is my signature. If you like it, good. If you don't, I don't care.
"The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy" -Jim Rohn
Final Fantasy VII - Voices of the Lifestream

#3 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:22

Old school units and an interesting storyline: They wanted to seperate USA from Allied.

#4 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:01

Looks very promising. Textures could use some more details but then again, it's still WIP. It's well planned, though.

#5 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:41

The cutscenes bit seems quite ambitious I'd say.
Posted Image

#6 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:34

I will definetly keep my eyes on this one. Saw it a few days back.
Posted Image

#7 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:36

I'm quite interested in the Allies and Empire this guy's got. Though I'm still looking towards space. Maybe I'll get RA3 just for this mod.
Posted Image

#8 Red

Smell No Evil!!

• 581 posts
  • Projects: Nothing but posting...

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:28

The Idea of having an "old-school" faction and twice as many units sounds interesting. I think I'll track this one.
Fav. mod:
-SWR
-Contra
-Tiberium Essence

Got juice!?

#9 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:03

Umm, wow.

This hasn't happened before...

Hey guys, the mod leader guy (Open Sketchbook) linked me to this post advertising our mod! The post that, uh, I didn't start. This feels really weird, actually. Normally I'm the guy who heads around and tells people about the mod, raising hell/publicity and recruiting other team members like some kind of talent agent with really low standards. (Speaking of which, our mod team is recruiting in all positions if anybody can do ANYTHING to help!)

I'm glad to hear positive responses to our project! If anybody has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them!

Looks very promising. Textures could use some more details but then again, it's still WIP. It's well planned, though.

What textures? All the models so far have normal maps. The only exceptions are on a few of the Confederate vehicles, and those are just tests - we're scrapping them once we have something better.

The cutscenes bit seems quite ambitious I'd say.

...Maybe a little, yeah...

We're gonna do our best, but don't get your hopes up for high-quality acting. Or CG. It'll probably end up being a few guys in silly costumes trying to be as overdramatic as possible because that's what CnC is all about.

I'm quite interested in the Allies and Empire this guy's got. Though I'm still looking towards space. Maybe I'll get RA3 just for this mod.

Well, you should totally get RA3 anyway because it's an awesome game, but the release date won't be for a while. The SDK hasn't even come out yet, and we can't put anything into the game until it does. Once that happens, we'll be releasing in waves, and the Campaign set will probably come last - that's where the space ships will be. I don't know the plans for certain but it seems to me that the campaign will feature a Moon Base or two... :D

Maybe I'm overreacting a little bit to the fact that somebody out there knows of our mod through some means other than direct linking... but if anybody has any more questions, again, I'll respond to the best of my ability.

#10 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:45

What do you have in mind for the Empire and the "enigmatic electrical protectorate"? What is the electrical protectorate? Also, would be willing to add tesla tanks to the soviets?

Edited by ultimentra, 10 February 2009 - 05:45.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:14

View PostFCS The General, on 31 Jan 2009, 5:22, said:

Old school units and an interesting storyline: They wanted to seperate USA from Allied.

So in a way they're assuming that all Americans are a bunch of rednecks? Not the most flattering connotation.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#12 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 20:21

Hey guys, I hope you like exclusive Confederate building previews.

Posted Image

From left to right: Power Plant, War Factory, Storm Tower (based on old GAP generator), Repair Pad, Turret, Radar Dome, Barracks, Helipad, Pillbox.

Seem familiar? They're supposed to.

On to the questions!

View Postultimentra, on 10 Feb 2009, 0:45, said:

What do you have in mind for the Empire and the "enigmatic electrical protectorate"? What is the electrical protectorate? Also, would be willing to add tesla tanks to the soviets?

For the Empire, we're adding tons of new mecha, a new moving building (Tatsu's Incredible Floating Fortress) that serves as a landing pad for their new dedicated Air units, and a few new units of every other type (like my favourite, the Nanofold Tank, which draws ammo from enemies like the Hammer Tank Leech Beam to launch exploding paper crane drones).

For the Electrical Protectorate, we're very much keeping them under wraps, but there's a hint thread on the forums that you can check out. They've got some huge reveals storywise that we're unfortunately gonna have to save for the Campaign release, but it'll hopefully be worth the wait.

As for tesla tanks... well, there isn't really an un-filled niche for them. They're basically more powerful hammer tanks. I'm not sure if the Soviet list is finalized, but I'm also not sure tesla tanks are necessary except as a bit of fanservice. Luckily, Tesla Troopers are now kind of LIKE tanks...

Oh, but we do have the Perun Tank Destroyer, which fires tesla canisters.

View Postdeltaepsilon, on 10 Feb 2009, 3:14, said:

View PostFCS The General, on 31 Jan 2009, 5:22, said:

So in a way they're assuming that all Americans are a bunch of rednecks? Not the most flattering connotation.

Not at all. We're mostly playing on the Civil War, where the Confederates WERE from the south. Plus, RA3 hasn't exactly been shy about the stereotypes as it is, has it? I would fully expect a Canadian army to be full of beavers and igloos.

Edited by Kerensky287, 10 February 2009 - 20:23.

#13 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 00:52

This is looking to be a very cool mod. I will be lurking this one for a long time to come. If you ever need any critique or ideas for units let me know, I have plenty =D.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:30

this seems like an awsome mod
Attached Image

#15 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:55

dude bring back the british sniper for allies. You know you want to.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:02

View Postultimentra, on 12 Feb 2009, 23:55, said:

dude bring back the british sniper for allies. You know you want to.

Our site said:

Rifleman : Allied sniper unit. Armed with a heavy rifle, can go to ground with secondary fire, making him immobile but requiring manual aiming both to attack with and against. Riflemen fire less often than other snipers but have a longer range.

We already did. XD

I really, really wish there was more I could say. We've spent the last 2 days or so talking about the Electrical Protectorate, and we've got most of their units nailed down now. A lot of their gimmicks are gonna require a ton of coding, but it'll be glorious when it works out.

Oh, on that note, there's a good chance I'll be the coder for our team when the SDK comes out too. I also attribute this almost entirely to you guys in Games Modding (specifically the Zero Hour areas). I've modded Halo in the past for fun, but I discovered thanks to this site that Zero Hour is also a blast to work with. I'm looking forward to tearing RA3 apart at its core!

#17 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:09

I do wonder though: Why "Electrical"? Do they go ZAPZAPZAPZPAZPAZPAZPAZPZPAZPAZPAPZAPZAZPAPZAP? That Black Hole...power plant? :P

If this faction has lots of beams, missiles, lasers, bombs, missiles, beams, sparks, explosions, beams, lasers, missiles, KABOOMs, lasers, beams, missiles, missiles, missiles, plasma, explosions or possibly the rumored _spaceships_...I'm so up for it that I might even abandon my ol' Empire.

Tatsu = Giga-Fortress-like except it re-arms etc.?
Posted Image

#18 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:35

View PostDestiny, on 13 Feb 2009, 1:09, said:

I do wonder though: Why "Electrical"? Do they go ZAPZAPZAPZPAZPAZPAZPAZPZPAZPAZPAPZAPZAZPAPZAP? That Black Hole...power plant? :P

If this faction has lots of beams, missiles, lasers, bombs, missiles, beams, sparks, explosions, beams, lasers, missiles, KABOOMs, lasers, beams, missiles, missiles, missiles, plasma, explosions or possibly the rumored _spaceships_...I'm so up for it that I might even abandon my ol' Empire.

Tatsu = Giga-Fortress-like except it re-arms etc.?

Electrical is very important to the faction's identity. Kinda like how Atomic China is descriptive of, umm, Atomic China. Not saying any more than that.

And the cool thing about this faction (as revealed in the Hint thread today) is that they rely heavily on the use of Weapon Modules. Many EP vehicles act sort of like Multigunner IFVs, except that the only units they can carry are the weapon modules - units that can't attack on their own, but that modify the vehicle's weaponry in some way. So if you like beams, missiles, lasers, bombs, etc, then you should equip lots of beam/missile/laser/bomb style modules.

Modules change unit statistics a bit (say, a "gatling" module would increase rate of fire) but the units retain their basic idea. So anti-tank units are still anti-tank, and the epic unit still seems to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive.

Tatsu = our answer to the Giga Fortress because we think a ship that turns into a floating head seems stupid. Also, we thought the Empire deserved dedicated aircraft. I'm not too sure what the visual concept is but from what I understand it is also covered in a good number of guns.

#19 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:17

the electical protectorate is so obviusly energy beings from the future

we think a ship that turns into a floating head seems stupid.

well, there is a floating head/fortress in anime :P
Posted Image

#20 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 14:36

Which is...? :P

Hmm...very...interesting. I'll be looking forward to the EP. EotRS, I am probably dishonored...unless I try out the Tatsu first. *Makes a housefly into a bug (Spy...duh.) and infiltrates Paradox team member houses*
Posted Image

#21 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 15:32

View PostDestiny, on 13 Feb 2009, 15:36, said:

Which is...? :P

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b44Li-pSGV4

:P
Posted Image

#22 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:51

Although I like the first impressions the mod is in such a premature state I can't say much about it.

One point I would complain about is the graphical idea of your confederate faction. I dare to question the credibility of them fighting all those other factions with field technology which seems to predate World War II by the looks of it. The allies and Soviets also get their fair bit of extra high tech, so why include the faction this way?
Posted Image

#23 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:46

View PostAftershock, on 13 Feb 2009, 12:51, said:

One point I would complain about is the graphical idea of your confederate faction. I dare to question the credibility of them fighting all those other factions with field technology which seems to predate World War II by the looks of it. The allies and Soviets also get their fair bit of extra high tech, so why include the faction this way?

Because they're rebels. They don't have access to the same production facilities as the other factions do. In fact, they only really have access to the stuff the other armies haven't snatched up already, which basically includes pure outdated technology. But the Rebs aren't left out to dry; they've got some genius engineers (no, not the capturing ones) on their side, an asset which allows them to hardmod the vehicles they've taken for the better. Over the course of a fight against Confederates, you'll probably start off by seeing crappy tanks that you could beat in your sleep, but they'll eventually get stuff like big, fancy engines stuck on them, ludicrous guns, perhaps even a glowy shield or two.

We're not going for an "Orky" look for those of you into Warhammer 40k, but we will have visual effects that look impressive enough to suit the level of upgrade. Flaming "hot rod" exhaust pipes on a tank? Over the top, but this is RA3!

Anyway, the Rebels do have their share of high-tech, but few of the models have really been finished for them. For example, they make heavy use out of Resonance (mostly for Earthquakes) technology, and they have a vehicle called the Sidewinder that generates tornadoes.

#24 AZZKIKR

I am sarcastic and evil

• Project Leader
  • 2215 posts
  • Projects: beta tester of world at war cnc and situation zero concept art

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:18

There is a likely hood that the sdk will be for RA3 Uprising. Will RA3: Paradox implement the units in it ?
Posted Image
Posted Image
RIP CommanderJB

#25 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:01

View PostAZZKIKR, on 15 Feb 2009, 9:18, said:

There is a likely hood that the sdk will be for RA3 Uprising. Will RA3: Paradox implement the units in it ?

open_sketchbook said:

I'm afraid not. Uprising and Paradox take place in alternate timelines and employ different technologies. We've sorta designed the factions in one go with very specific goals in mind, and the new units in Uprising don't necessarily mesh with the faction design ideas.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users