Red Alert 3: Paradox

43 replies to this topic

#26 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:07

BIG, SHINY NEWS, GUYS!

Some members of another RA3 mod - Resurrection - have recently left their team due to what I understand is a disagreement with their mod leader (He did not take it well). As such, they've joined Paradox, and with our new team being about twice the size of the old one, we're expanding our horizons a bit.

In short, we're adding another two new factions.

Posted Image

The Order of the Talon (hmm, that symbol isn't familiar at all!) is an ancient group devoted to fighting a certain immortal evil. Their units are expensive and powerful, though the faction on the whole is a little slow (more Soviet Union as a whole slow than just Apoc Tank slow).

Posted Image

The Mediterranean Syndicate is a huge electronics corporation with some sinister secrets in its origins. They are a technological, infantry-heavy side that revolves around sharing bonuses and buffs between its units - in short, units that are in a larger army will be far more effective than they would be on their own.

Neither faction is all that polished yet (the announcement and member acquisition was just finalized today) but we'll be releasing more information about both as time goes by. As far as I know, the Electrical Protectorate is the only faction we're trying to keep under wraps, so the other guys are fair game.

Edited by Kerensky287, 19 February 2009 - 03:08.

#27 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:03

Wow.

8 factions. That's a LOT of works.

Ambitious, yet extremely AWESOME :)

#28 Comrade Sanders

Regular

• 192 posts
  • Projects: getting attention (epic fail). Protesting against PeTA.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:18

okay, so we have Confederates,Chinese,and a army of robots (from the released EP screenshot)
your now gonna add two more?
sweet evil Jesus! :)

#29 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:16

Aren't the factions going to become too similar to each other then? I mean how original can you be with 8 factions? I hope you will be able to do this though. It would be quite the feat.
Posted Image

#30 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:52

I had noted Resurrection but I didn't expect that to happen. Order of the Talon, eh? *thinks GDI :)*
Posted Image

#31 KiraSama

Vago Profesional

• 2145 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:12

View PostKerensky287, on 19 Feb 2009, 4:07, said:

The Order of the Talon

oh
my
god

Talon Mercenaries fused together with GDI :thereisnoticonforwhatiamfeeling:
Posted Image

#32 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:38

Eight factions? You must be kidding me right :)
Posted Image

#33 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 15:11

Hey man, if DoW can do it I think these guys can.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 15:14

Re: "8 Factions omfg!"

Yeah, we've got almost as many factions as Dawn of War now. Pretty cool, huh?

Re: "Order of the Talon = GDI"

What is this GDI you speak of? There was never any such organization. Maybe there might have been if not for the war with the Soviets, but all we have now is the Allies, the Soviets... like, 5 other guys... and a secret society who fights evil! Totally not this crazy GDI thing. :)

EDIT: New picture.

Posted Image

^The Allied Torchship. It's a spaceship with a spectrum gun that goes kinda fast. The "torch" bit is what makes it go.

So ha, we WILL have space stuff.

Edited by Kerensky287, 20 February 2009 - 02:17.

#35 Madin

Amateur

• 138 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 17:27

Great, Red revolution mark II
I look forward to:
1. Fantastic media releases
2. No playable content ever being released
3. The mod collapsing due to internal disputes/difficulties
4. Ownership issues meaning that the only benefit to the wider RA3 modding community in terms of assets will be aforementioned fantastic media releases.

Oh and good luck, your going to need it! :confused:

#36 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 21 February 2009 - 19:31

i trust that they can do it. atleast they'll have the original 6 playable some time
Attached Image

#37 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 19:33

Great...spaceships.

Hmm...I can see the Empire's space-battleships will be quite...stereotypical, no? 8|

The torchship looks like a...wedge to me. It's still WIP, I presume.
Posted Image

#38 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 21:09

zombie Jesus! :P 8|
Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#39 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:19

So, more big news! The EP army list is out now. The cat is mostly out of the bag. The cat's story, however (or is it the bag's story? I dunno, it's a stupid metaphor) hasn't been told yet. We'll be releasing little clues as to who the Electrical Protectorate are (well, yeah, robots, but what else), where they come from, what they're trying to do, and so on.

The army list can be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/red-alert-3-para...e-infinite-army

The EP army works very differently from all existing factions - it mostly revolves around gaining as much wealth as possible to constantly attack the enemy. They have NO defensive buildings whatsoever and almost everything builds INSTANTLY. Their opponents will find themselves being swarmed by masses of weak units with the occasional stronger unit thrown into the mix, and the only real way to stop the flow is to cut off the enemy's money... or destroy the Singularity Core at the middle of their base, which is the source of ALL their power and which cannot be rebuilt if destroyed.

In other news, we've also been getting lots of unit dialogue done. Some samples (temporarily used in Warcraft 3 to demonstrate them) are up on our website. We've also managed to contact the legendary Chase Suddarth and David Sapp to do dialogue for us, and they've expressed interest in performing in the live action cutscenes we will use in the campaigns.

#40 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:06

You are in truth, very ambitious.

I would like to see some models with skins now though, to get some more trust in this project.

Also:

... or destroy the Singularity Core at the middle of their base, which is the source of ALL their power and which cannot be rebuilt if destroyed

Ehm that is not such a good idea if you ask me. Just make it rebuild veery slow.
Posted Image

#41 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 15:42

Considering the instant buildtime for all units...woah. I think I'll stick to my traditional Bushido...the Shogun and the not-yet-tested-Tatsu.
Posted Image

#42 Kerensky287

Visitor

• 21 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:04

View PostAftershock, on 2 Mar 2009, 7:06, said:

You are in truth, very ambitious.

I would like to see some models with skins now though, to get some more trust in this project.

Also:

... or destroy the Singularity Core at the middle of their base, which is the source of ALL their power and which cannot be rebuilt if destroyed

Ehm that is not such a good idea if you ask me. Just make it rebuild veery slow.

Models with skins: We have a single textured model, so I know it can be done... but I'm not an art guy AT ALL (I dunno how it works) so I don't know how soon it will be before we have more. We're cranking out the models with normals though, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Singularity Core: The main idea behind this is so that the EP has a massive throbbing weak point (so to speak) and if they lose it, then their otherwise nigh-unstoppable force can be beaten with ease. It'd give all new meaning to commando missions. But I sort of agree, having a one-hit-you-lose building seems a little harsh. We may (probably will) fix that in balancing.
EDIT: Okay, I've talked it over with the mod leader: the theory behind having a single Core is that when it's destroyed, the EP have no power, no construction capability, and the Core explodes like a Chinese Nuke (which will be far and above the most powerful Superweapon) so they have no buildings within an impressive radius. Basically, if you lose your Core, you've already lost. However, JUST IN CASE you still survive (like, in a team game if your allies protect you) the destruction of a Singularity Core leaves behind an Empty Core, which (upon pressing the "secondary" button) starts rebuilding the Singularity. It costs no money, but takes a long time (say, 2-3 minutes) and if your opponent is at all competent they will be able to mop you up before then.

View PostDestiny, on 2 Mar 2009, 10:42, said:

Considering the instant buildtime for all units...woah. I think I'll stick to my traditional Bushido...the Shogun and the not-yet-tested-Tatsu.

That's another concern I have... the fact that every single EP unit can be submersible seems to reduce the effect of big units like the Dreadnought and Shogun. Basically, until they attack, your big units won't be able to shoot, and when the EP attacks, they'll be too close to hit.

But hey, balancing. The EP is so vastly different from other factions so far that we'll really put them through the wringer before we're satisfied that they work properly. I can see it being really easy to make them incredibly over- or under-powered. Time will tell, I suppose.

EDIT: Talked this over as well with mod leader. All factions will now have more subhunters, which makes it easy to counter an EP naval attack. Plus, the fact that they have no land units that are able to attack while in water means that moving your base out to water gives you plenty of extra protection to compensate. Regarding the Shogun and Dreadnought, if they DO get hits in, they'll probably destroy several units per shot anyway, which will do a good amount towards breaking enemy momentum. Plus, getting them near the enemy base will do a ton of damage, so if you can protect them until then (hurray convoys!) they will make you proud.

Edited by Kerensky287, 03 March 2009 - 04:26.

#43 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:16

I know the Dreaddie has AoE, but not the Shogun unless it goes charge crazy and start ramming everything in its path...very "AoE-ish", no? 8|

Hmm, ATM the Naginata is not a bad unit for ASW, but the "reload" speed is kinda on the long side. But I guess since the EP's not very good at naval combat, it should be fine.
Posted Image

#44 Destrukto

Pimped-out Warrior

• 659 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:14

View PostKerensky287, on 19 Feb 2009, 16:14, said:

Re: "8 Factions omfg!"

Yeah, we've got almost as many factions as Dawn of War now. Pretty cool, huh?

Re: "Order of the Talon = GDI"

What is this GDI you speak of? There was never any such organization. Maybe there might have been if not for the war with the Soviets, but all we have now is the Allies, the Soviets... like, 5 other guys... and a secret society who fights evil! Totally not this crazy GDI thing. :P

EDIT: New picture.

Posted Image

^The Allied Torchship. It's a spaceship with a spectrum gun that goes kinda fast. The "torch" bit is what makes it go.

So ha, we WILL have space stuff.

Those look a little like the drop pods from Quake2...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users