Being a man

58 replies to this topic

#26 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:38

Dauth, on 12 Feb 2009, 20:46, said:

Imo you're not a proper man if you can't cook. Now it doesn't have to be some gourmet special, just good quality tasty meal for four. What do you reckon to this sweeping generalisation?

E.V.E., on 12 Feb 2009, 22:08, said:

If a Man can cook then that is great, but I think being a Real Man is when you don't need to hide your Feelings.

- E.V.E.

Hearing this from a woman; it is something really cool ! Also if you are a man, you must not lie ! In anycase, even on grave thing !

About cooking thing, I personally can cook and clean up home pretty well, better than my mother since I have a symetry obsession, but I never understand the most of men in my country, they never touch to food unless they are ready to eat, and they think they do something very manly, they are just wrong !

#27 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:39

is being able to hold your own in a fight still considered as being a man or has every one swayed away from that this decade? and i personally don't cook much cuz i don't enjoy it a whole lot but if forced i probably could do somethin decent XD

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#28 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:58

Holding your own in a fight proves you have bigger muscles. Does a person with bigger muscles have the advantage these days? Perhaps not. Therefore I don't consider that a useful contributor to 'being a man' if the latter implies success at life, which I believe it should (as much as I believe such a useless concept should mean anything).

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:09

CommanderJB, on 18 Feb 2009, 21:58, said:

Holding your own in a fight proves you have bigger muscles. Does a person with bigger muscles have the advantage these days? Perhaps not. Therefore I don't consider that a useful contributor to 'being a man' if the latter implies success at life, which I believe it should (as much as I believe such a useless concept should mean anything).

well you are right having bigger muscles is an advantage but people are doing good martial arts these days and by good martial arts i don't mean twi kwan doe come on lets face it twi kwan doe is a fitness course im talking about iron palm and muy tai, judo actual martial arts and using the body mechanical disadvantages to win but we know thats not what happens in a real fight lol its just a flurry of swings and unco punches.
but another one for being a man is being mechanically minded and know how to change a tyre and put oil and water in a car you will be surprised at how many people male and female who can't even do the simplest or car related tasks.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#30 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 13:47

you will be surprised at how many people male and female who can't even do the simplest or car related tasks.

Sadly, I am one of them.
Speaking of that now, I think I should change that soon, seeing as I will go alone to my next Holiday ... so that could be a usefull thing to learn.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#31 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:13

You're a not a man until you DO THE RIGHT THING!
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#32 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:30

deltaepsilon, on 20 Feb 2009, 1:13, said:

You're a not a man until you DO THE RIGHT THING!

Russell Peters is awesome!
Posted Image

#33 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:46

E.V.E., on 19 Feb 2009, 22:47, said:

you will be surprised at how many people male and female who can't even do the simplest or car related tasks.

Sadly, I am one of them.
Speaking of that now, I think I should change that soon, seeing as I will go alone to my next Holiday ... so that could be a usefull thing to learn.

- E.V.E.

that is sad but changing tyres (even though it can be tricky) filling up oil and water isn't that hard to learn just google tips on simple car maintenance tasks or ask some one you don't ask you don't know!!

#34 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:47

I think that you truly become an adult, when you become responsible for your own actions, and stop thinking only about yourself.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#35 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 00:22

Real man is a man who can take care of his wife (girlfriend) and children and off course himself.
Real man is a man who acts responsibly and won't end as a cabbage, destroyed by excessive drinking or taking drugs.
Real man is a man whose mind is strong and can do hard decisions.
Real man is a man who don't wreak upon his wife or worse: on the children.
Real man can defend himself (by words, but when there is no other way: by physical means - muscles or martial arts).
Real man knows where are his limits. :confused:
Real man wouldn't spend whole night on net. 8|
Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#36 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:31

CommanderJB, on 18 Feb 2009, 12:58, said:

Bigger muscles can mean absolutely nothing. Kick anyone hard in the groin, and they'll be going down like a sack of shit.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#37 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:37

Kicking a guy who has twice your strength and muscle mass in the groin would be a difficult proposition unless, as already stated, you studied a form of martial arts, which is not exactly common. It's always preferential to be muscularly stronger in a fight than weaker. My point had to do with the fact that IMO getting into a physical fight if anything proves immaturity in today's world.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:24

Z_mann, on 20 Feb 2009, 11:47, said:

I think that you truly become an adult, when you become responsible for your own actions, and stop thinking only about yourself.

A rather hypocritical statement.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#39 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:58

CommanderJB, on 21 Feb 2009, 2:37, said:

My point had to do with the fact that IMO getting into a physical fight if anything proves immaturity in today's world.

Oh, ok then. In that case, I very much agree.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#40 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:04

So professional fighters who fight for a living are immature in your opinion JB?
Posted Image

#41 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:43

I can think of far better ways to earn a living than getting one's brain cells bashed out over a ring floor and using that as grounds for considering yourself superior to others, although I wouldn't necessarily extend the title of 'immature' to them. I had hoped it was reasonably obvious that I was referring to fighting in everyday life, typically as a method of resolving disputes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 23:44

TehKiller, on 21 Feb 2009, 11:04, said:

So professional fighters who fight for a living are immature in your opinion JB?

Unfortunately, that seems to in fact be the case with many professional fighters in this day and age (e.g most boxers and some of those MMA fighters).
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#43 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:00

MMA fighter?
Attached Image

#44 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:20

Mixed Marshal Arts another fighting club where men get intimate while fighting

#45 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:31

o i c 8|
Attached Image

#46 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:05

ya a match will include a few punches then the rest of on the floor like you said 8|

#47 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:03

What about those who fight as a discipline, like martial arts practitioners?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:47

Uh huh.

1. A real man stays real and stays a real man.
2. A real man follows real events and real persons.
3. A real man stand for what he believes he's right, even if the world is corrupt.
4. A real man sets example.
5. A real man is a leader, not a boss.
6. A real man is rational.
7. A real man fights for ideals, not fistfights.
8. A real man does not easily succumb to whim of anyone.
9. A real man does not squabble in petty differences.
10. A real man follows shipment date, in a 40-foot containerized van.

That's about it.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#49 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:44

ultimentra, on 24 Mar 2009, 5:03, said:

What about those who fight as a discipline, like martial arts practitioners?

That usually involves a lot mutual respect and discipline (yeah), which would usually be synonymous with maturity imo.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#50 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:25

Real men don't cut and run at the first sight of trouble. Something a friend of mine tends to do alot. Rather than fight for the greater good, or to better "the people" he would rather stay neutral or better himself if the odds are in his favor. I can't stand people like that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users