Being a man

58 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 18:46

Imo you're not a proper man if you can't cook. Now it doesn't have to be some gourmet special, just good quality tasty meal for four. What do you reckon to this sweeping generalisation?

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 18:47

My definition of a proper man is one that has balls. If you can't make your own food you are not a proper adult you are a baby.

#3 Mr. Mylo

The Transporter

• Project Team
  • 2334 posts
  • Projects: CnC Unleashed; CnC The Rise of the Reds

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:02

View PostDauth, on 12 Feb 2009, 19:46, said:

Imo you're not a proper man if you can't cook. Now it doesn't have to be some gourmet special, just good quality tasty meal for four. What do you reckon to this sweeping generalisation?

then no brit is a man xD... j/k

Anyway... I am not an uber cook but I like to cook sometimes and I would like to have some courses if I find the time :P

If cooking is an indicator of manlyness I can't judge but I think just everybody should be able to cook, it's more a matter humanity.

Mr. Mylo
Posted Image
sig by the_Dr - you are the best
Posted Image
here look at my artwork: KLICK ME
Posted Image

#4 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:06

Bah screw cooking...making a meal for yourself (or maybe for 2 ppl) is enough but still one should at least make an attempt (uhh thought not the stuff that requires burning...its not like everyone can afford paint for the walls if you know what i mean :P )
Posted Image

#5 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:08

If a Man can cook then that is great, but I think being a Real Man is when you don't need to hide your Feelings.

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#6 Mr. Mylo

The Transporter

• Project Team
  • 2334 posts
  • Projects: CnC Unleashed; CnC The Rise of the Reds

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:12

View PostE.V.E., on 12 Feb 2009, 21:08, said:

If a Man can cook then that is great, but I think being a Real Man is when you don't need to hide your Feelings.

- E.V.E.

E.V.E. you know if somebody agrees on this everybody else will say he is gay xD... just because no man would stand to showing feelings and crying...
I think the only really time a man shows feelings is when something is related to you ( girls, especially loved girls ). But otherthan that is really rare...

Mr. Mylo

Edited by Mr. Mylo, 12 February 2009 - 20:21.

Posted Image
sig by the_Dr - you are the best
Posted Image
here look at my artwork: KLICK ME
Posted Image

#7 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:30

``I think the only really time a man shows feelings is when something is related to you ( girls, especially loved girls )ยดยด

...and when his favourite football team gets its collective arse kicked :P

But in all seriousness, I think cooking does not make a man, it makes an adult. Everyone, men and women alike, should be familiar with the basics of self-preservation. With that being said, I honestly can't tell what makes a 'real man'. To me, things like self-respect, intelligence and common sense are important but these also apply to both genders...

Edited by Rayburn, 24 March 2009 - 07:42.

#8 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:45

View PostE.V.E., on 12 Feb 2009, 20:08, said:

- E.V.E.

Anytime, to anyone.

Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 20:49

View PostDauth, on 12 Feb 2009, 20:46, said:

Pffhahaha :P . Good for a late-night, semi-inebriated discussion among males, that one, perhaps, but bull outside of that :P .

As several people have stated, this is just a question of maturity. I know only one guy who can't cook, though you wouldn't even think of not calling him a man.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 12 February 2009 - 21:07

I think Dauth means to make a distinction between boys and men here, not macho manliness. I cannot cook anything more than pasta or a fried egg though I am willing to learn. It mostly ahs to do with being raised with someone always cooking (In my case the Ethiopian "maid/nanny" who lived with us) and never really needing to do it myself. Up until two years ago, I never even made my own sandwiches. I realized then that someday I would have to take care of myself. Anyway, when I get back to Beirut in the summer I will probably try my hand at a few dishes of home cooking. Also this description depends at what age you're talking about. I think by the age of 19-20, you should be able to make a mid-sized meal. Before that, you will have time to learn though. As for E.V.E. 's question about feelings, I'll keep that for another topic.
Posted Image

#11 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 22:43

View PostE.V.E., on 12 Feb 2009, 15:08, said:

but I think being a Real Man is when you don't need to hide your Feelings.

There is truth to this, but as an old adage states: "everything in moderation." Meaning you don't openly cry in front of ANYONE and EVERYONE. To a good friend is fine, but not at every chance given. Being able to hide your feelings can be advantageous, especially when around mixed company or those that are strange(rs) to one's self. However, if you're like me an wear your heart on your sleeve, masking your feelings is a complete other task.

There are many phrases that state "real men wear pink" or "real men cry". The fact is, it's not the literal meaning to the statement that makes a man a "man". It's what the phrase suggests, and that's being comfortable with your sexuality. The other fact is, being a "man" is relative. For instance, I tend to think things through, whereas a more typical man may think very little or not at all about the same matter. Does that make me any less of a man? I'd vote no, but then by the same token, I'm biased towards myself (aren't we all though?)
Posted Image

#12 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 12 February 2009 - 23:28

I think every man is a Real Man in their own way. I think the whole 'Be a Real Man' and 'Real Men do This', are just people competing to see who's the most 'Real Manliest', and to show people that they are 'Real Men'. Its pretty dumb how us men have to express our Manliness to other people.
Formerly Sobek

#13 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 23:31

That reminds me, over here "True Real Men" are those who had the most "Hoe's" ...
That's something I never understood, alot of People like to show off with how much Girl Friends they had.
Could someone please explain that to me? :P

- E.V.E.

Posted Image

#14 Lucid

Professional

• 312 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 00:51

i'll try E.V.E most guys are like that because of human nature. back in the days of fending for survival, having many children was a sign of strength, i think
Posted Image

#15 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:00

View PostE.V.E., on 12 Feb 2009, 21:31, said:

That reminds me, over here "True Real Men" are those who had the most "Hoe's" ...
That's something I never understood, alot of People like to show off with how much Girl Friends they had.
Could someone please explain that to me? :P

- E.V.E.

That kind of chat was common here back when I was a teenager. Now that I'm an adult, not anymore.
Posted Image

#16 Judgement

Demon of the Fall

• 2330 posts
  • Projects: Same old shit different pile.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:47

Its called an ego.
Being a man isnt about balls or cooking. being a man is taking responsibility for your actions and being able to burden yourself without breaking. Thats just my opinion. Im not saying that girls wind up to being a man as well. They could.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:57

A wild Judgement appears!

I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

#18 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:03

I'm going to say that the sole thing that makes a true man is 'resourcefulness'.

That's based on a few seconds of judgment though. I'll think more on it later.

-Rorschach

#19 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:30

My def for a real man is a some one who can fix some by fiddling with it instead of reading the manual, a real man drives a V8 or a 4WD and a real man can kill,gut, skin and cook a goat with out being squeamish.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#20 Lucid

Professional

• 312 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:38

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 13 Feb 2009, 5:30, said:

My def for a real man is a some one who can fix some by fiddling with it instead of reading the manual, a real man drives a V8 or a 4WD and a real man can kill,gut, skin and cook a goat with out being squeamish.

well, i'm two out of the three. i fix by fiddling, and i drive a Jeep Cherokee 4WD. but i'm pretty sure i can kill a goat, but IDK about gutting and skinning it.
Posted Image

#21 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 13:18

View PostViper, on 13 Feb 2009, 21:38, said:

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 13 Feb 2009, 5:30, said:

well, i'm two out of the three. i fix by fiddling, and i drive a Jeep Cherokee 4WD. but i'm pretty sure i can kill a goat, but IDK about gutting and skinning it.

well im 2 and 3/4 out of it i shot the goat but i almost threw up in when i slit it open and saw it all spill out and i fucked up skinning it and the cooking was the easy part just rip meat off and stick it in the pan XD

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#22 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 13 February 2009 - 13:30

A real man wouldn't eat a goat because it tastes like shit.
Posted Image

#23 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 13:47

View PostOverdose, on 13 Feb 2009, 22:30, said:

A real man wouldn't eat a goat because it tastes like shit.

you my friend are so correct goat does taste like shit and its stringy as well the best meat to eat is roo meat that stuffs nice XD

And a real man eats a manwich
Posted Image

#24 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:17

There are so may possible ways to 'be a man' that it beggars belief. Admittedly, while cooking is a sign of maurity, it has to be applied across both sexes, and hence can't really define a man. To be frank, if you can see yourself as a man, and not be bullshitting yourself into thinking so, then you are a man. However, by going up to somebody and being overtly manly and masculine, I'd say you were not a man, as part of being a 'man' in my book is being a good person, and a good person knows how to control themselves. If you've been sleeping around and general been a bit of a twerp, then you're about as manly as my four year old cousin. For me, anyways.
For there can be no death without life.

#25 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:40

View PostAJ, on 14 Feb 2009, 2:17, said:

There are so may possible ways to 'be a man' that it beggars belief. Admittedly, while cooking is a sign of maurity, it has to be applied across both sexes, and hence can't really define a man. To be frank, if you can see yourself as a man, and not be bullshitting yourself into thinking so, then you are a man. However, by going up to somebody and being overtly manly and masculine, I'd say you were not a man, as part of being a 'man' in my book is being a good person, and a good person knows how to control themselves. If you've been sleeping around and general been a bit of a twerp, then you're about as manly as my four year old cousin. For me, anyways.

well if a guy comes up to you and is acting overly manly hes probably a poofter if any thing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users