Not bad, has a lot of potential!
Posted Image

#27 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:12

View PostAJ, on 6 Mar 2009, 12:53, said:

On the whole, very nice indeed Bob, you're becoming very successful as an artist. I do have a few criticisms, partly my views, partly a few critiques. The body form in all of them is exceptional, and the poses look exactly like I would imagine them of a natural figure. From my perspective, I'd like the figure to have little more clothing around the waistline, as one of the things I'm not partial to in anime is seeing girls with too much on display, but that is just personal preference, and putting that aside, it works for me, it really does. On the first image, I would suggest that you make the sleeves of the shirt just a little more visible below the crease that has been drawn in about 1/3rd of the way down the arm, as it looks a bit like the sleeves are rolled up - the differentiation between the two is a little sparse for me, especially on Akiko's left arm. I would also suggest a little bit more detail on the front of the boots on the first drawing, as they seem a little bland. Second picture is great. Can't make any critical observations of it. The third image is very nicely done, and looks sharper, crisper and more detailed than the previous two. However, Akiko's left hand is a bit odd - it looks flat against the rest of the image, and doesn't seem to be doing anything at all, whereas I imagine your initial thought was to have Akiko's head resting on it. Perhaps closing the hand into a fist and putting a bit more behind the head would prove better? The fourth image, like the second, I can't really find anything wrong with. The pose is especially good here, and looks completely natural. All of these are niggling points, though, and shouldn't detract from your work/art (whichever you choose to see it as), as it is great. The human form is said to be one of the most difficult things to draw, and you've done a great job of doing so. Plus, miles better than anything that I could achieve. :D

Thanks for the critiques, AJ, very much appreciated. :funnypost:

One thing I have never been good at it is drawing hands, I usually try and hide them (by putting them behind the characters back, in pockets or holding something, etc.)... so I've tried to go all out on these sketches, doing things I wouldn't normally do. Instead of going for the safe option, and saying "I won't do x position, because I can't" I just went ahead and did it to the best of my ability.

The hand in the third sketch isn't supposed to be propping up her head, but actually more as a casual wave at the observer/person behind the camera... but I certainly know what you mean, it didn't really come out as I had hoped :wtfsign: (and trying to correct my attempts at hands usually ends up making things worse :eek: )

The first sketch, I see what you mean about the sleeves, I'll definitely bare that in mind for the future... and as for the boots, from the angle you aren't going to see much detail, the "joins" (probably a technical term, but I'm no fashion expert 8Posted Image are on the outside of the legs. From the angle in that sketch, you can't really see them... other than that there won't be much detail to show. I intend the boots to be leather, so you won't get any sharp creases, so I can't show much that way either.

I intend to render some, if not all of these sketches, which is partially why I haven't included all details... I find it much easier to add details later on than at the sketching stage. I also have 40 more positions ready to be sketched from, so expect some more sketches of Akiko soon. :D
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#28 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 20:16

*stumbles into thread*

It' been a long time, but I will hopefully start making some pics soon, now that I have my new PC. I made a couple of sketches while I was out of commission, but whether anything comes of them, who knows.

Anyway, while I was transferring my old files over, I found some unfinished stuff. This one was pretty good, and even though it's unfinished, I have no plans of finishing it, so I thought I'd show it off.

Posted Image

EDIT: Another one I found... I think there was something I was gonna add/change, but who knows what it was. Here is SSJ4 Brolly.

Posted Image

Edited by Bob, 23 August 2010 - 20:23.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#29 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 20:29

SSJ4 Broly eh. I got fed up with DBZ/GT after they added SSJ3, kinda milking it a bit really and it got all a bit crazy. Good work though. It's a great Drawing and looks almost official.
Posted Image

#30 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 20:30

Yeah, GT was kinda crap, but I still liked the look of the SSJ4 form.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#31 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:54

Sorry to be blunt Bob, but I like how you clothe your female characters. :P
Posted Image

#32 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:05

HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM

Posted Image

#33 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:39

Nice work Bob, i love to seeing people start drawing again :P

The second guy looks professional quality.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#34 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:43

Really you drew Brolly? i honestly couldn't tell.

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#35 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 15:10

Well, well, well... long time no see. :P

So I completed a picture a few weeks ago, and I finally decided to create a deviant art page and upload it.

Posted Image
(click thumbnail for larger pic)

If you don't have a deviant art account, you probably won't be able to see it... So if you can't, you can view it here... but be warned, it's a bit risqué. 8|

Edited by Bob, 16 April 2011 - 15:11.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#36 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 16 April 2011 - 15:16

Looking good, but her neck/head is positioned sooo far back away from the rest of her torso, it doesnt look natural. The walls behind her look rather sparse, they could do with some livening up (or just crop some wall off 8|)

Great job on the hands and the pants designs tho.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 15:18

I'd say that looks...western now. Still, okay. Pretty nice...
Posted Image

#38 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 15:32

View PostPav:3d, on 16 Apr 2011, 16:16, said:

Looking good, but her neck/head is positioned sooo far back away from the rest of her torso, it doesnt look natural. The walls behind her look rather sparse, they could do with some livening up (or just crop some wall off :read:)

Great job on the hands and the pants designs tho.

Yeah, I'd noticed that too... unfortunately, it was quite far into the development, so there wasn't a huge amount I could do about it. I plan on developing this character further, and have already started on a second picture. Hopefully I will start to work out some of the anatomy kinks. :P

Like I said in the description on deviant art... I was planning on adding more detail to the background, but it was just taking so long... so I just gave up. Posted Image I was planning on adding some photos and/or posters to the wall, and maybe even a mirror too. But they would have just taken so long to do. Anyways, I learnt a lot from making that background, my next one will hopefully be a better and take less time to make. :)

I usually hate making hands, but they are probably one of my favourite parts of this piece. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

View PostDestiny, on 16 Apr 2011, 16:18, said:

I'd say that looks...western now. Still, okay. Pretty nice...

Well I don't know a huge amount about eastern culture... so draw what you know. ;)

Edited by Bob, 16 April 2011 - 15:33.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#39 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 15:47

You did pretty well for an anime-ish one with your previous one...the one in the black lingerie. I'm not blaming you, but it's pretty good. The shadows look a bit odd though...strange lighting.
Posted Image

#40 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:35

WIP Slideshow!

EDIT: And that's a slideshow of WIP images, not a slide show that is a WIP. :read:

Edited by Bob, 16 April 2011 - 17:36.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#41 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:59

That's pretty interesting...what are those color blobs for?
Posted Image

#42 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:04

View PostDestiny, on 16 Apr 2011, 18:59, said:

That's pretty interesting...what are those color blobs for?

They are the colour pallet, it lets you not only focus on drawing (going into the colour picker can be distracting) but mix colours on the fly, just like a painter would in real life.

It looks nice Bob, I can see you have put a lot of work into it :read:

Edited by TheDR, 16 April 2011 - 18:04.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#43 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:08

Looks like my dead reckoning was right on that color palette thingy :read:! I actually like the eyes at the start, where they weren't so detailed.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users