Dreams

34 replies to this topic

#1 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:13

Having had a particularly odd dream last night, I was wondering how others here saw them. Dreams are seen as many things, such as working out a conflict in your brain, or just as a means to wind down and forget about real life. So, do you remember your dreams, and if so, what do they mean to you? Do they solve things, let you become people you're not, or do they allow you to leave you real life behind, or one of a million other possibilities?

For me, I often remember dreams, but I also know that I let far more slip away. Interestingly, a lot of stuff that happens during my dreams does seem to affect me for several minutes after waking up - such as this morning, when I had sore areas on my legs and chest from where my dream had been a bit 'violent'. Admittedly, the dream was reasonably nonsensical, but it makes me wonder how much of a dream my body believes before it realises it's not true.

What do you reckon?
For there can be no death without life.

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 17:34

They are just simply a way for your brain to process the billions of things it takes into itself everyday and process them. The shear scale of which generates dreams.

I have never given any credance to any of mine, no matter how realistic.

Interestin [non]fact my wife rather scientifically explained to me only last month that when you imagine that you are falling in a dream, or that you trip and it produces an effect of muslce twitching to wake you up, this is your bodies natural means of firing your system up and jump starting your heart.

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:19

Most of my dreams involve various elements from the days before hand. For example, a couple of weeks ago, I bumped into my weights with my chair, and I heard them rolling on my floor, the same night I dreamt that my dad was trying to take them away from me :duh: If I really think about elements of my dreams, I can usually come up with a reason why.

I also still on and off try and train myself to lucid dream. Unfortunately, I still haven't fully mastered it, when I figure out I'm in a dream and start to try and control it, I can feel myself waking up. Sometimes these are false awakenings, but either way I usually can't control them for long before I wake up or forget it's a dream.

I usually don't think twice about my dreams, apart from maybe them giving me a chuckle, but there is always the occasional dream that brings up forgotten memories, which can have it's effects in the real world.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 13 February 2009 - 18:34

View PostAJ, on 13 Feb 2009, 17:13, said:

For me, I often remember dreams, but I also know that I let far more slip away.
What do you reckon?

Almost all the time, no matter how seemingly impossible the situation in the dream, for me, it feels less of a dream and more of a memory, and I can recall almost all of it as if it had just happened to me.

And also, I dont know if this has any relevance to my dreams, or if anyone else experiances this, but I find that if I'm thinking about something in particular before I fall asleep, if I do have a dream, it normally involves something I was thinking about.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#5 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 19:15

View PostWizard, on 13 Feb 2009, 17:34, said:

Interestin [non]fact my wife rather scientifically explained to me only last month that when you imagine that you are falling in a dream, or that you trip and it produces an effect of muslce twitching to wake you up, this is your bodies natural means of firing your system up and jump starting your heart.

That's the only dream I ever have, is that I'm on top of a building or cliff and I begin to fall then I find myself bolting upright in my bed awake. I dunno if it's because I have a fear of heights or what you said. Either way I don't even that dream often, maybe once a week. It's just annoying now. Another one that annoys me is when you wake up with the most unbearable cramp in your leg.

Posted Image

#6 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 19:35

To me they're a rarity. That is, I forget them so quickly that I'm effectively very rarely dreaming. When it happens, I generally find it an enjoyable experience, being extremely immersive and not rarely lucid.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 13 February 2009 - 19:38

View PostWarbzy, on 13 Feb 2009, 19:15, said:

View PostWizard, on 13 Feb 2009, 17:34, said:

That's the only dream I ever have, is that I'm on top of a building or cliff and I begin to fall then I find myself bolting upright in my bed awake. I dunno if it's because I have a fear of heights or what you said. Either way I don't even that dream often, maybe once a week. It's just annoying now. Another one that annoys me is when you wake up with the most unbearable cramp in your leg.

I get these dreams quite often as well, this may sound weird but when I expierance these falling dreams, im often, in control, I'd say, in that im still half conscious, but i cant wake up until I'm spiralling, and near the "stop" and then I wake up.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#8 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 19:39

I don't dream often, but when I do I usually forget them almost instantly. I have had instances where I wake up to use the bathroom or simply wake up momentarily, then fall back asleep and the dream kinda continues. :)

Also, not sure if this has happened to any of you guys, but rarely I'll dream about something that will happen in my life (like if I have an appointment or something), and then when I go to that event, it goes almost identically along the lines of the dream, so much so that I get a feeling of Deja Vu. Weird.
:duh:
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 20:31

I don't dream at all due to my irregular sleep pattern.

Posted Image

#10 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 20:40

Everyone dreams it just depends on if you remember your dreams.
You only remember a dream if you wake up in the process of the dream, using Warbzy as an example the only dreams he remembers
are the ones he is falling because he wakes up in the middle of them, this is why we normally remember the "Scary" dreams as they scare us awake.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 20:43

View PostThe Dr, on 14 Feb 2009, 7:40, said:

Everyone dreams it just depends on if you remember your dreams.
You only remember a dream if you wake up in the process of the dream, using Warbzy as an example the only dreams he remembers
are the ones he is falling because he wakes up in the middle of them, this is why we normally remember the "Scary" dreams as they scare us awake.
You do not dream unless you have quality REM sleep.

Posted Image

#12 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 20:46

I plan to fall unconscious, hallucinate vividly and then forget it all. /Stolen line

Dreams are just filing things from the day, they also are a vent for things in your mind.

#13 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:13

I know I dream all the time, but I can almost count on my fingers how many I can remember in recent years. I view them as nothing more and nothing less than a side-effect of the mind ordering the day's events. While there have been a few more notable than others, they just seem mostly to be an escape from real life if you will. The thing that always fascinates me about the few I can recall is the totally amorphous nature of reality in them - they slide seamlessly from one scenario to the other without my even 'noticing' it and almost never stay in one place or time.
The 'falling' sensation I've never actually experienced in dreams, but occasionally when I'm lying on my side waiting to go to sleep I do receive a sudden shock of adrenaline exactly like that, probably because I occasionally lie in an unstable position. It's quite unnerving.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:14

i dont remember alot of my dreams, but the last one i remember i was at the world cup final, and it was Nigeria vs some other country either Germany Argentina Spain or brazil if i recall

Edited by WNxmastrefubu, 14 February 2009 - 04:18.

Attached Image

#15 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:29

is it possible for a dream to feel completely real?
because i had a dream where i was walking through the CBD not far from where i lived killing people with a scoped .22 bolt action rifle and i felt like i was actually there i could feel the recoil of the rifle and i could taste the burnt gun powder and i felt that i was rubbing up against a car when i took aim and shot a women holding a baby and i could that my leg was burning when i got shot by TRG and long story short it felt completely real until i woke up 5 in the morning.

And i heard it possible you can orgasm in your sleep if you have a really hot dream if you know what i mean XD

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#16 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:39

Bah I dont dream often (same reason as Alias) but I do have a dejavu feeling in RL (basically in my dream I am in a specific situation though nothing of importance and then months later the exactly same thing happens in reality...and yes I actually did took notes of my dreams at some point and got horrified when I read that I dreamed something a year ago and it happened last week in reality)
Posted Image

#17 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:46

Actually, that's something I've noticed about my recent dreams; nearly all the dreams I can remember in the past year or two have had a heavy feeling of déjà vu to them, almost like I'm re-dreaming something I've dreamed before. The strange thing is when I wake up I can remember nothing at all like what I have just dreamed. None of my dreams have ever been related to, let alone predicted, real-life events before, though I have heard of other instances where they do.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:49

View PostTehKiller, on 14 Feb 2009, 21:39, said:

Bah I dont dream often (same reason as Alias) but I do have a dejavu feeling in RL (basically in my dream I am in a specific situation though nothing of importance and then months later the exactly same thing happens in reality...and yes I actually did took notes of my dreams at some point and got horrified when I read that I dreamed something a year ago and it happened last week in reality)

o really a friend said something like that happened to him and i though he was just pulling my leg lol
but how can some one see somethin happen in a dream and become RL? it don't make any since

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#19 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:00

But the thing is you wont recognise it until the whole event you dreamed already passed (and then ull get the dejavu feeling)
Posted Image

#20 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:05

yer but thats just plain implausible when something like that happens to me i just shrug it of as a coincidence
you just go past your little dejavu event and think wtf i dreamed that but how is it possible that, that dream became a reality and your seeing the future in your dreams lol im not comprehending how that is logical but a mire coincidence

edit:spelling

Edited by Major Fuckup, 14 February 2009 - 13:06.

#21 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:06

View PostTehKiller, on 14 Feb 2009, 14:39, said:

I've experienced this quite a few times myself. It was quite eerie the first ten or so times.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:19

Perhaps it's a bit like your 'sixth sense' - the easiest, though typically 'me' explanation, would be an equivalent of sensory fusion on an aircraft, where putting the whole picture from all sources together gives an image greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe dreams do this, but with time - extrapolating possibilities and toying with consequences in a way that we can never do when we're awake.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:22

well that didnt answer my question lol and have you had a dream that seem real where u could feel and smell stuff?

#24 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 13:53

View PostWizard, on 13 Feb 2009, 19:34, said:

They are just simply a way for your brain to process the billions of things it takes into itself everyday and process them. The shear scale of which generates dreams.

This and I think brain chooses them ' randomly ' , I not remember I had a ' logical ' dream even once :duh:

#25 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 16:53

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 14 Feb 2009, 15:22, said:

well that didnt answer my question lol and have you had a dream that seem real where u could feel and smell stuff?
I'm not sure that is at all possible in dreams. In fact, I can't even say if my dreams have colour or are black and white...
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users