Global Warming.

29 replies to this topic

#26 partyzanpaulzy

Professional

• 316 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 15:25

Well, I have seen documentary film recently (somehow like: Miracle Planet II - the Snowball Earth, France, Canada, Japan 2005), where they were talking about 2 Snowball disasters with traces around the world.
1st happened around 2.2 billion years BC (in short numerical system, aka 2 200 000 000). It happened because there were no oxygen producing organisms, but there was a plenty of methanic bacterias (they live in swamps) which produced methan, there was no oxygen in the atmosphere so Earth had pink atmosphere. Methan is stronger Greenhouse Gas than CO2 so the temperature was high. But then modern cyanophytes appeared some theories say they are older, but the best fossils begin from 2 billion BC). Anyways oxygen cooled Earth to Snowball Earth (-50°C at average). Live survived in hot springs where happened first endocaryot symbiosis (Eucaryota bacterias have been created).
After that volcanic activity began and helped life to get from $|-|1+$, but it created reverse extreme with Hypercanes, it's in that documentary film, too. Atmosphere contained just 1% of oxygen. Meanwhile happened the 2nd endocaryot symbiosis and algaes were created. But 800 million years BC something went wrong and oxygen went to high levels again (lower vulcanic activity, bad continent setting - they got to the South Pole and other factors), during this snowball era life created the collagen which helps cellules to live. After that, 600 million years BC, the multicellular organisms appeared and oxygen level dropped to lower level (40%?) (BTW, today level is also lower than 8000 years ago, if it drops bellow 15% -16% then we are screwed, giant insects had 40-60%, mammoth hunters had 25% or somehow ;) ).

But truth is that it's not sure if this happened so and that weather disasters will happen more frequently if global warming continues. :P

Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 01 March 2009 - 15:25.

Posted Image
(I'm making RA2YR mod, check Revora Forums for more info)
Posted Image
Posted Image
+ equivalents :p

#27 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:20

View PostInsomniac!, on 1 Mar 2009, 13:45, said:

Between 600-800 million years ago IIRC. And no, that isn't the reason. It was discovered that if ice sheets advanced past a certain point so much heat was reflected that the earths temperature dropped, this created a postitive feedback mechanism leading to more ice being formed, this would continue until the entire earth was covered. This theory was created to explain glacial deposits in tropical areas, or what would have been tropical areas then.

Yet you did not explain the initiation of the ice advancing beyond that certain point in the first place. As such if you leave it at this argument, then why does not every Ice Age result in a Snowball Earth Scenario?
Posted Image

#28 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 04 March 2009 - 22:22

View PostPapaya Master Rai, on 23 Feb 2009, 12:58, said:

Climate change has changed the world by .8 degrees celsius and it will not be surprising if it increased to 1 degree celsius where in rice and meat production would or might eventually fail and if it reaches 2 degrees celsius most of the Greenland icesheet would melt and eventually flood up coastal areas. On 3 degrees celsius Cyclones, Typhoons, and Hurricanes are more frequent than ever, wildfires, droughts, heatwaves are common in Australia, Europe and no doubt Africa and especially in the US, The Amazon Forests would all wither down to the ground. And 4-6 degrees celsius we all now the result and that is MASS EXTINCTION. Solutions that I may suggest are well...don't turn off electrical appliances unplug it when not in used this would reduce the use of coal power plants. Windmills as power source or Hydroelectric dams and Hydroelectric power stations anyone? Well this might stop carbon emissions right?
EDIT: Volcanic eruptions cause 60% distribution to carbon emissions and there is a total of 500 eruptions per year, so what happens? But still there are beneficial use of volcanoes like, Hot Springs, Medical application, fertilizes agricultural soil, Useful volcanic materials, scientific research, and other stuff.

Well, from my point of view, if this should happen, then I doubt mass extinction would be the case, I dont deny that many millions, maybe billions of people would die. (I assume your talking just about Humans and not other living things?). But, over time, creatures have adapted, and so would we, the strongest of us, able to survive the heat would go on and breed and the human race would go on, just as so many other animals must have done.

I can't deny the possitive use of volcanic activity either.

Also as for the subject of Carbon Offsetting:

Though I totally disagree with the entire principal of it, if governments used the money they got from it to protect the rainforests then I might not mind SO much, but i really do honestly doubt they do. Every week scientists find new species of plants or animals, how long will it be before they find the cure to cancer, the common cold orAlzheimers, not to mention, the rainforests which could very well hold all of these cures, also (i belive) absorb some of the CO2 that we produce, are being (essentially) sold off by their governments to logging companies.

Anyway, I'm getting OT now so I'll end this little rant here, just my 2cents though.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#29 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 00:30

View PostPapaya Master Rai, on 23 Feb 2009, 13:58, said:

EDIT: Volcanic eruptions cause 60% distribution to carbon emissions and there is a total of 500 eruptions per year, so what happens? But still there are beneficial use of volcanoes like, Hot Springs, Medical application, fertilizes agricultural soil, Useful volcanic materials, scientific research, and other stuff.

Bull. Volcanic eruption is only about 2 percent of annual emissions.
Posted Image

#30 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 07 May 2009 - 19:00

View Postpartyzanpaulzy, on 28 Feb 2009, 16:13, said:

From short view we aren't in Ice Age, from long view we are in Ice Age. The long view clasification means there are long periods of smaller periods of Ice Ages and interglacial periods (2 of them ended with SNOWBALL Earth and dead of almost all life, I am not sure, but I think I heard there were 4 these Ice Ages), from this view we live in Ice Age.

Something like this:
Ice Age = IA, Snowball=SN, interglacial period= _
time -> .....................................................................-2 000 000 000.........................................-800 000 000...-445 000 000...............-70 000 000..-10 000
_____________________________________________IASN_______________________________
_IASN_________IA_IA_IA____________IA_IA_IA_IA_

Also there is clasification where Ice Age means Earth with glaciers, Snowball theory contains that during several ten thousands years was Earth freezing till glaciers reached tropical area then it was just decades and it was caused by absence of the Greenhouse Gases. During this era was Earth cold with average temperatures at -80°C.
This is main reason why is Mars so cold, it has little amount of Greenhouse Gases, it has tenuos atmosphere, because of low gravity, no known or low vulcanic activity (also Mars has no magnetism).

mars indeed has magnetism very weak weaker then mercury which is 1/100 of earths and mars atmosphere is mainly green house gases well co2 bot the volume of co2 in its atmosphere is more then ares but the reason why mars is so cold is its thin atmosphere its not thick enough to hold the heat in and its distance from the sun.

the earth atmosphere is mainly nitrogen. The water vapor in are atmosphere has more of effect on the over all temperature of the earth then co2 as water vapor is in much larger volumes then co2 and is a greenhouse gas.

honestly i highly doubt that just the change in co2 levels due to humans is having that big of impact on the earth many people may or may not know but are magnetic poles are weakening eventually they will switch and we are due for another switch soon maybe during magnetic pole reversals it gets so weak that the upper atmosphere gets annihilated or well interacts with the energetic particals carried by the solar wind heating up the earth then once the reversal completes and the magnetic field lines stabilize again the slightly thinner atmosphere will cause more heat to escape thus another ice age till the atmosphere is replenished again.

at least i think that one of the reasons many people may not be looking at .

Edited by Cryptkeeper, 07 May 2009 - 19:04.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users