So I've tried Fallout 2...

12 replies to this topic

#1 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:04

...And yeah, in a large number of ways, it is better than Fallout 3, except for the fact that it is very, very, slow, and that is an aspect of gaming from the 1990's that I'd prefer not to relive if possible.

Also, the lack of autosave is frustrating at times, and I prefer Fallout 3 in that it is far more liberal on the main plot line, meaning you can go out and explore to your heart's desire (which is actually one of the strong points of the game: heading in a straight line and wandering around).

How is Fallout 2 better?

First off, at start, you are much like any other person, and able to be easily killed. In Fallout 3, you start off above average and you end as a Vault Dweller Ubermensch who can tear apart Super Mutant Behemoths with his bare hands. You cannot spam stims, because they are exorbitantly expensive and rare, and anyways spamming stims won't help if you're completely surrounded and getting pounded from all sides.

Second, morality is one big fat gray line in Fallout 2. You can never quite tell whatever actions you're doing are good or bad. I dug up an entire graveyard before I realized that grave robbing was a crime. I try and attempt a conciliatory approach in one case and wind up getting shot.

It's far too easy to be a good person in Fallout 3. If you ever do something bad, like massacre an entire town and then blow it up along with any survivors with a nuclear warhead, you just hand someone 8 bottles of water and you're okay. Anyone can recognize where the speech options will lead them, and being good has no consequences and is in some cases more rewarding than being bad.

And in Fallout 2, if you piss someone off, they'll really be pissed. In Fallout 3, you generally can just skip town for three days and everything will settle down after that.

Also by end game in Fallout 3, I ended up donating all of my caps to the two churches and then a few days later I managed to recoup a large chunk of it by acquiring Enclave armour and selling it. In Fallout 2, I am CHRONICALLY SHORT OF MONEY.

Personally I'm just going to put Fallout 3 on hiatus and wait for a comprehensive mod that does all the things to Fallout 3 that makes Fallout 2 great.

Edited by AllStarZ, 06 March 2009 - 04:45.

#2 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:11

I remember in Fallout 1 I was attacked when I entered someone's apartment... Dogmeat then went and killed said person, leading the whole town to turn against me :(

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#3 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:39

fallout 1 and 2 are to slow for me i just quit playing it for that reason but fallout tactics is much better in that area so its manageable to play. in fallout 3 dog meat is the best thing to have in the entire game because the enemy's just go for him and you can just kill them at ease

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#4 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:42

*moves*

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 15:43

*moved to the Fallout area* - Gah old man beat me to it

You can speed up the combat in the options menu AllstarZ won't be perfect but will be much better.

You'll find as you get more into the game (generally after a combat armour and some rarer guns) that money does become a lot easier to find, the hardest thing is stocking up your NPCs with ammo, yea in F2 you have to look after them yourself.

BTW if you feel like playing a bigger version of Fallout 2 look for Killap's restoration project on NMA its essentially pro:gen for Fallout where he re-enables all the commented out storyline and fixes several bugs.

#6 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:28

I did download the restoration project, but mainly because I wanted better resolutions for the game.

Anyways, any news on a major content addition mod for Fallout 3? I'm a bit out of the loop here.

Edited by AllStarZ, 16 April 2009 - 02:30.

#7 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:32

You should also try MIB88's Megamod. It has a PILOTABLE VERTIBIRD and a GAUSS GATLING GUN.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#8 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:00

What I meant was, more complex morality choices and greater emphasis on non-combat abilities.

#9 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:03

1+2 have plenty of that.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#10 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:12

Exactly, but 1+2 are slow as hell and are, well too old. I want to combine the immersive first-person atmosphere of Fallout 3 with the complex morality and gameplay options that were present in the first and second games.

#11 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:16

To me, good dialogue is far more important to immersion than perspective, and the perspective also makes it much harder to depict travel realistically, thus loosing the 'barren desert wasteland' feel to a 'stumble over a settlement every hundred meters' approach.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#12 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:20

Exactly, but 1+2 are slow as hell and are, well too old. I want to combine the immersive first-person atmosphere of Fallout 3 with the complex morality and gameplay options that were present in the first and second games.

#13 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:31

Doing so would require a GARGANTUAN amount of work and there are some talks of such a project at NMA but they will probably never amount to anything. The biggest problem is that the engine isn't built for a game like 1+2.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users