#1 Alexei_Stukov

The Knowledge is the Best Expirience

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days

Posted 20 March 2009 - 20:56

Here is the USA laser tank.
It will be MBT for laser weapon system
The model is created by TunguskaM1, modified by me and skinned by me.
Posted Image
See you soon

Edited by Alexei_Stukov, 20 March 2009 - 20:58.

#2 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 20 March 2009 - 21:45

It looks nice, could use some detailing with a different color. But it's a solid model with a good texture.

the one thing is that it just doesn't look like a laser tank to me, I think it should be bulkier and have more obvious vents.

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 20 March 2009 - 21:48

That icon on the front of the turret doesn't look pretty at all! Otherwise it seems like a solid model though slightly lacking detail to distinguish it as a Laser Tank.
Posted Image

#4 Rich19

I challenge thee!

• 1478 posts
  • Projects: Duelling

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:32

That looks good, but not as a laser tank. It's basically a conventional tank with a dish thing fixed over the front of the barrel, as far as I can see. I would be expecting more creativity. More power lines! Vents! Prisms! Radiators! Mirrors! Lasers are high tech, and since the fact that this is a laser tank is what distinguishes it from other tanks, you might want to make more of the laser aspect of it.

#5 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:37

at 1st glance i wouldnt guess its a lazer tank, but regardless, its still a nice tank
Attached Image

#6 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 22:38

I disagree. It looks bad. Terribly blocky. It falls way short of the rest of the work I've seen you do.

-Rorschach

#7 edsato82

Professional

• 317 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 00:52

Beautiful unit, it would seem to be a big tank, very nice
Posted Image Thanks Kid
Posted Image Thanks Abourror

#8 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:52

I don't like it. For one, the turret is way too small. The turret appears to be a boring design, what you'd typically find on any modern tank, like the Abrams.

#9 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:14

I'd have to go with the majority here - a dish does not a laser make. If you are intending to go for a more 'realistic' laser tank (all things being relative, of course) a much much more interesting and original design would be a tank with a ruggedised version of the THEL director on top. Plus I personally find the Cold Fusion Reactor pods really overdone. So yeah, I'd really have to say that this one needs a redesign before it looks good. The skin is nice, if a little monochromatic, but the square identifier panel really needs fixing. It definitely has its good points but it needs more.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Admiral FCS

?????

• Member Test
  • 1526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:14

Excuse me, but I'd rather stick to the old Laser Tank.

Although it'd look good as an ordinary MBT, it doesn't have the right touch to be a laser-bearing MBT.

#11 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:30

If someone can show me how looks laser tank ?
The design is like and ordinary tank to look more real.
Also not the design makes one tank laser or other, but equipment inside.
Also in high distans the tank looks very good in my opinion.
JJ and Rorschach I know that you work for other project and in some way you always critic . But words like you sad up there are not good for people who works on modding. You just don't respect other people works.
Look what others says. Maybe you should learn from them :P
So for me the tank is good. If you don't like it, you have right to don't like it.
P.S. I'm making the mod mostly for me. And in that case(this laser crusader) I'm totally disagree with the negative opinions |8

Edited by Alexei_Stukov, 21 March 2009 - 06:34.

#12 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:11

Look by your self.

Attached File(s)

#13 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:13

Alexei_Stukov, on 21 Mar 2009, 17:30, said:

If someone can show me how looks laser tank ?
The design is like and ordinary tank to look more real.
Also not the design makes one tank laser or other, but equipment inside.
The point is that an actual laser tank would look nothing whatsoever like a conventional tank because the demands of housing and powering a laser are completely different to those facing a 120mm shell-firing gun. A laser tank would need the largest practical director mirror in order to get the most focused beam possible, house a very large power source, and in fact actually need spaces for reloads (current weaponised lasers use chemical cartridges, which they excite to produce light which is then directed and released). Here's a quick concept sketch I just did to show you what my imagining of a semi-realistic laser tank would look like:
Posted Image
As you can see the turret shape is completely different, and I've envisioned it as unmanned, with the two crew in a separate compartment up front; reloading of the chemical cartridges is carried out automatically, and all sighting equipment (multiply redundant to reduce the chance of someone shooting it out) is remote and placed on the turret, with other minor cameras on the rear and sides to assist with manoeuvring.
Theoretically you would also need a bit of room for the beam director to move up and down, but my excuse is that it has a mobile internal mirror. I can do a more detailed sketch of the turret if you'd like, as well.

Edited by CommanderJB, 21 March 2009 - 07:18.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:24

OK that's in your view but we both doesn't know how it will look like in reality.
Also the model is created by other guy. I lost time to skin it and in game it looks good. So it stays :P

#15 CommanderJB

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:27

I'm not telling you what to do, and I would of course never ever suggest that what goes into your mod is anything but your right, but we do know partially what a 'genuine' laser tank would look like, and as a person quite well versed in the basics of armoured vehicle and weaponised laser design, I can tell you that the current model is not it. But I will rest my case. Realism is, of course, secondary.

Edited by CommanderJB, 21 March 2009 - 07:28.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:41

Look the whole problem is that I don't want to loose more time of creating new model which will be not so different from this one. Then skin it again bla bla.... :P
Also I'm very tired from modding. My team is small I have to do 95% of the mod alone.Thanks to Waris and Tunguska for the help I'm happy that I have some help. So you should understand me. This is a huge project. With one man army |8

Edited by Alexei_Stukov, 21 March 2009 - 07:48.

#17 JJ

Half dead member

• Project Leader
  • 3294 posts
  • Projects: Real life things, personal RA3 mod

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:10

Alexei_Stukov, on 21 Mar 2009, 14:30, said:

JJ and Rorschach I know that you work for other project and in some way you always critic . But words like you sad up there are not good for people who works on modding. You just don't respect other people works.

So you want us to tell lies about "OMG AWESOMENESS!!!"? That's illogical completely. I know how hard it is to get something in-game, but that is not an excuse to shut off criticism. Criticism helps you improve on your work, instead of letting it flush down the toilet for looking bad. Screw courtesy, it only hinders progress. If positive comments can be posted without problem, why shouldn't negative comments? You can ignore them if you like, it's not like I care anyway.

#18 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:54

maybe you can't read well I didn't sad to lie. Just don't write bullshit like :
"I don't like it. For one, the turret is way too small. The turret appears to be a boring design..."
I sad to take example from other people who don't like it. but they are not writing like you are. They are polite something you will never be my friend.
And I really don't care about your opinion so fell free to pass off my forum if you like :P
I take care about good and creative opinions like commanderJB and many others that helps me to improve my units.
CYA

#19 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:40

The is the same situation that happened like in ShW... At first I didnt really liked but then when I saw the other pic in-game I gotta admit it actually does look good. Sure ordinary ppl would expect a bunch of powerlines and special effects on it (and some dont like the whole idea of having lasers at all...like me for instance) but he is afterall doing the whole mod by himself (well almost)

Though the skin might use some improvements but I dont find it really necessary

Edited by TehKiller, 21 March 2009 - 10:43.

Posted Image

#20 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:56

I'm agree with you.

#21 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:29

Since all the -ve has been said already...

An antenna or aerials would look nice :P Could the barrel be lengthened a bit?
Posted Image

#22 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:43

Yes of course :P

#23 Anubis

Lord of the Underworld

• Project Leader
  • 1259 posts
  • Projects: MGS projects.

Posted 21 March 2009 - 13:23

After that really cool heavy laser model i was expecting something similar. The tank looks ok, but to be honest i'd see it more as a std MBT than a laser. I really like CommanderJB's ideea about it. Something similar to a heavy armored APC with a THEL looking turret would have been a better choice. The turret is not boring, it's just to standard. It is an abrams like turret with nothing high techish about it. And since this is a mod based on realism again i must say Commander JB's ideea looks alot closer to a real unit. The skin is nice, but it requires more dark spots on it. It's to bland, and even though it has all those square shapes on it, none is really visible from a distance. I'd suggest adding some black/dark grey shapes as well.
Again we end up with don't make any critiqs of my models/skins. This is a public forum where we can actually say if we like or we don't like one of the models. IF we have something we don't like we simply say what we don't like. I don't really see a polite way of sayn that the turret in someone opinion has nothing special. And if this is a mod for you, than why make it public. The reason is simple. You love it when people say good things about your work, but you don't accept bad opinions. I made a mod for myself but never made it public because it was FOR MYSELF. If it's just 'awsome' 'great work' or things like 'maybe a different x design' is what you only want to hear, i don't see why keep this topic opened. Simply lock it after you post your news or rename it to "only if you have good things to say topic". And if you really don't care about someones opinion why post a comment to it. Again simple : because you want everybody to like everything you make. You must understand that once you make something public you will be a target for bouth positive and negative opinions. It would be a really good thing if you could actualy learn to accept the negative ones as well without calling people unpolite.

Edited by Anubis, 21 March 2009 - 13:26.

#24 Alexei_Stukov

• Project Leader
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 13:36

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH man not you again :P
I'm sick of explain that I'm not against negative opinions. They just need to be followed with some suggestion or strong reason why it is "boring and so on"
But be honest it is not good to say only "I' don't like it it is boring" and these word are from man who makes mod??? It is not serious.
When I don't like something and I can't help to be fixed I just don't write anything.
That's all.
Why I make it public simply to find team members. And to read some critics and to improve my models. I'm very grateful to the people who helped me, but not to few |8

#25 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 14:24

Well in that case: The model suffers in the fact that it is blocky. It looks like a little box on a big box. Amateur work. Compare that with the look of tanks like the Challenger II, the M1A2, the Leopard 2A6, et cetera. The bodies of those tanks are not just flat box-like structures, they have various angled bits.

But what really bothers me is the turret. A LASER tank would require a large power source. I would expect the turret to be larger than that of a standard tank as opposed to a lot smaller. Alas, the turret is far too small for the unit design, and with its smallness, it lacks the detail that could otherwise be obtained from a larger turret. The barrel needn't be long at all, I would expect it would be relatively short actually. Correct me if I am wrong but tanks cannot exactly internalize the barrel, but a LASER could, as there is no large shell to be pushed into a barrel by whatever mechanism, but rather just light to be radiated. If this is true, it would also contribute to the idea that the turret should be a lot larger, and for that matter, the barrel a lot smaller.

The design, as it stands, is ugly. Like I said, it is not on par with other work that I've seen you do. But of course, this is just an opinion. Feel free to discard it but in my view, your mod will suffer for it.

-Rorschach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users