How do you think the world will end?

77 replies to this topic

#1 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:10

Just out of curiosity, how do you think the world will end?

As a Christian I'm a firm believer of the events documented in the book of Revelation: The New World Order, The Antichrist, the perfection of the church, etc.

As to HOW it practically will end, I'm not sure. While the book may describe the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, I'm unsure as to if this means literally horsemen or just something else.

Anyway, enough of me. How do you think the world will end (If at all)?

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:15

When the Sun dies or some sort of large comet hits earth, but that might take a while so sit back and enjoy.
Nuclear war however imo will just decrease numbers of life, not destroy all.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:41

well 2 hours ago i went and seen the movie "Knowing" with Nicolas Cage in it and im thinking of a massive solar flair right now

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#4 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:55

10 billion years later when the sun goes Red Giant. That, or Scrin alien invasion, gamma ray bursts, planetary bombardment, human error.
Posted Image

#5 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:01

Personally I just don't think of it. I stay in the present instead of looking to an indefinite time.

Makes you a lot less paranoid.

Posted Image

#6 Rai

Forum Volcanologist at your service!

• Member Test
  • 859 posts
  • Projects: Volcano researcher and geological services.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 13:35

I kinda remembered making this kind of topic with a poll, somewhere in the forums. But this is much ok for its in the Philospher's corner section where we can discuss it seriously.
Now unto the thread. My personal opinion would be Supervolcanic eruption or let say VEI 8-9 kind of eruption. It only happens in once every 600,000 years on Yellowstone Caldera schedule and its last one was 650,000 years ago. But the last known super eruption was in 75,000 years ago made by Mt. Toba in Sumatra, Indonesia. But as for as I know the only active supervolcanoes are:
1. Campi Flegrei
2. Taupo Volcano
3. Long Valley Caldera
4. Valles caldera
5. Aira volcano
6. Yellowstone Caldera
7. Lake Toba.

A supervolcano may trigger a volcanic winter more severe than a Nuclear Winter. Where in a global phenomenon of snowing, cooling and freezing will fell upon Earth causing a nearby extinction. And to make it worse the sun's heat would be reflected back and amount of sulfur dioxide will circle the globe falling down to the ground as acid rain and killing of living things across the globe. And it is not surprising that we could experience this phenomenon again in the nearby future.
EDIT: Oh wait the end of our planet Earth? If that is so I'll go with the so called "tectonic plates would stop moving and end up being as Mars or a huge asteroid/comet impact or so..

Edited by Papaya Master Rai, 30 March 2009 - 13:38.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 30 March 2009 - 14:18

^thank you forum volcanologist

i think that we will run out of recourses and leave the planet to die.
Attached Image

#8 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 14:40

It kinda depends on what you want to consider the end of the world. The end of mankind (as we know it) is quickly achieved by a global war involving liberal use of whatever weapon is the most powerful at the time. Then there's the end of man and all complex lifeforms which can be caused by the above as well as things like asteroid collisions or a massive volcanic eruption. The end of ALL lifeforms, even bacteria, may be caused by some other cosmic disaster such as a solar flare, a gamma ray burst, what-have-you. The end of the world ITSELF, as in the total annihilation of the actual planet Earth, will be caused by supernovae or black holes, big rip and all the other ominous sounding nightmares of modern physics.

Edited by Rayburn, 30 March 2009 - 14:41.

#9 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 30 March 2009 - 14:50

View PostAlias, on 30 Mar 2009, 9:01, said:

Personally I just don't think of it. I stay in the present instead of looking to an indefinite time.

Makes you a lot less paranoid.

THIS^^

However, if anything is likely to get the human race, I would say it would be during a magnetic reversal of the earth where the lack of a magnetic field would allow dangerous cosmic rays which will mess up our electronics and cause widespread cancer and diseases. Of course, an unexpected collision from an asteroid would be unpreventable within this century. As to a Nuclear annihilation? Now that the Cold War has blown off, I wouldn't expect this scenario.
Posted Image

#10 Sicarius

Semi-Pro

• 226 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 15:35

The only thing that I see completely wiping the earth of life is a few million years before our sun goes nova on us. The reason for this is, earth is the perfect distance from the sun right now, it's not too hot, and it's not to cold. But as the sun gets older and bigger, it is going to start to get hotter. This will slowly kill the earth, as it eventually gets too hot for plant life, then animal life, etc. until the whole planet just melts away and gets consumed by it. But this will happen a LONG time from now, and will take millions of years for it be be over, during which time we will be a space-faring civilization.

I don't see Comets killing the earth, because we've been pummeled by them lot's in the past (roughly every 25 million years). They've only ever wiped out roughly 90% of all life.

Nuclear weapons? No, just no. They don't have nearly the destructive power as a comet impact, even if you where to use every one ever made.

Edited by Sicarius, 30 March 2009 - 15:50.

I've come face to face with myself, man.
Sanctify the early light just like the old man can, boy!
Change the world? You'd better change yourself, man/ boy/ man
Challenge the mind to be more like the rolling ocean, man!

#11 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 17:25

In fire.

Wait, is this about what destroys the earth or what will wipe us out?

I think it's extremely unlikely that our planet will cease to exist by any cause other than the sun going supernova or something. Comets pummeling it may wipe out all life on it, but it'd have to be a pretty sizable comet INDEED if it were to destroy the whole earth.

What will destroy us, I think, is either the end of the ice age we're in now, or the coming or a considerably heavier ice age.

Edited by Chyros, 30 March 2009 - 17:25.

TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:47

"Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination..."
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#13 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 13:17

So then we'll have a communist world, which is not the end, rather a new beginning.

"Soviet Power Supreme"
Posted Image

#14 Z_mann

Professional

• 327 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed

Posted 02 April 2009 - 14:33

He meant the Bomb. :/
Posted Image

Posted Image

Science is magic, only complicated.

#15 Shirou

Humble darkspawn

• 3328 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 17:16

View PostZ_mann, on 2 Apr 2009, 16:33, said:

He meant the Bomb. :/

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 31 Mar 2009, 4:47, said:

"Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination..."

Oh..?
Posted Image

#16 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 02 April 2009 - 19:25

The world will just crash and then it says "Serious Error".

No really, did you meant the end of the world or mankind? Mankind will likely kill itself before.

#17 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:31

Zombie apocalypse anyone :/?
Posted Image

#18 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:54

My opinion is too political, but, put shortly, I belive it will be world war 3, and nukes will end the world.

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#19 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 20:55

Some nutcase on a holy war goes "M-M-MONSTER K-K-KILL" on humanity with nukes.

No seriously, either we blow it up, or something else, like a huge comet/asteroid blows it up.

#20 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:23

I don't understand, what do you mean by "end"?
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#21 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 03 April 2009 - 21:28

Relations with Asia, Europe and the Americas will drop. Resulting in Nuclear war.

Either that or Zombie plague.
Formerly Sobek

#22 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:43

We'll soak up all the resources Earth has and move to another planet. Of course, this will become a cycle of destruction for those other planets we relocate to.

#23 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:14

View PostHøbbsey, on 4 Apr 2009, 15:43, said:

We'll soak up all the resources Earth has and move to another planet. Of course, this will become a cycle of destruction for those other planets we relocate to.

ya thats if we can master space travel before that happens

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#24 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:52

Nuclear weapons not enough to end a planet, even though it can end all life on the surface of earth if used in great numbers.

I think it will be same as Biblical Prophecies told, what we see now is a New World Order is emerging, and ' elite ' which leads the world wants the population go under 500 million, because they believe in Gaia or something, I may agree some parts with them, but will not make myself slave to such people, as I see from the events, soon they will succeeded, then the Armageddon, and Judgement.

if that not happens, there is nothing to fear of anyways.

#25 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:20

View PostMajor Fuckup, on 4 Apr 2009, 8:14, said:

View PostHøbbsey, on 4 Apr 2009, 15:43, said:

ya thats if we can master space travel before that happens

by the time ALL the resources are gone we should have that technology. unless we get rid of famines, war, and poverty, which would lead to a HUGE jump in populatioin. but i doubt that'll happen
Attached Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users