How do you think the world will end?

77 replies to this topic

#51 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 14:27

``Well, IF the asteroid Aphophis does not hit the earth in 2029, he WILL do so in 2036, so we have to invent something to prevent it´´

True, that asteroid might become a problem but the last thing I heard was this: There's a 97% chance that the bloody thing will fly past us by a few thousand kilometres in 2029 BUT if it moves through a so-called gravitational keyhole, a small area in which Earth's gravity affects the asteroid's trajectory in a certain way, it might indeed hit us in 2036. More accurate predictions on that aren't possible at this point.

Edited by Rayburn, 26 April 2009 - 14:32.

#52 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 14:53

View PostRayburn, on 26 Apr 2009, 15:27, said:

``Well, IF the asteroid Aphophis does not hit the earth in 2029, he WILL do so in 2036, so we have to invent something to prevent it´´

True, that asteroid might become a problem but the last thing I heard was this: There's a 97% chance that the bloody thing will fly past us by a few thousand kilometres in 2029 BUT if it moves through a so-called gravitational keyhole, a small area in which Earth's gravity affects the asteroid's trajectory in a certain way, it might indeed hit us in 2036. More accurate predictions on that aren't possible at this point.
Seriously stop worrying about the one's we've spotted and panic about the ones we haven't.

We have mapped less than 1% of the sky for planet killers. Sleep well tonight.

#53 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 15:22

I'm aware, mate, I'm aware. Who knows, maybe they've already spotted one of those heading directly for
us but they won't tell the public because they've got no clue how to stop it anyway. Now that'd be creepy...

#54 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 26 April 2009 - 20:03

View PostRayburn, on 26 Apr 2009, 11:22, said:

I'm aware, mate, I'm aware. Who knows, maybe they've already spotted one of those heading directly for
us but they won't tell the public because they've got no clue how to stop it anyway. Now that'd be creepy...

they would tell the public to evacuate atleast
Attached Image

#55 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 20:05

Nukes...Lots of them. Every single nuke carrying country launching their entire payload at it. And if thats not enough then were fucked anyway.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 20:07

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 26 Apr 2009, 21:03, said:

Totally pointless. Planet Killers will almost certainly wipe humanity off the Earth. If we can't stop one we'll all be gonners.

Personally, if we are wiped out, I'd rather it were something quick and painless.
For there can be no death without life.

#57 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 26 April 2009 - 20:47

View PostAJ, on 26 Apr 2009, 16:07, said:

Totally pointless. Planet Killers will almost certainly wipe humanity off the Earth. If we can't stop one we'll all be gonners.

Personally, if we are wiped out, I'd rather it were something quick and painless.

Dying from starvation would suck. Alot.
Posted Image

#58 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 20:59

View PostScope, on 26 Apr 2009, 16:47, said:

View PostAJ, on 26 Apr 2009, 16:07, said:

Dying from starvation would suck. Alot.

depends on whether or not u have water. dehydration would be worse imo.
Attached Image

#59 The Wandering Jew

Veteran

• 464 posts
  • Projects: No current project, just to ask inane questions :p

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:31

The world shall end not by a nuclear holocaust, nor a biological outbreak, nor a natural disaster, nor a cosmic calamity. The world shall end due to our own sheer stupidity.

View PostRayburn, on 26 Apr 2009, 15:27, said:

I'll be dead when those years shall arrive.
Posted Image
"Once upon a time in 1700's, Imperial Britain had its share of terrorists...And they were called Americans."

#60 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 21:16

The world will end when Chuck Norris descides to see what will happen if he roundhouse kicks the ground.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 May 2009 - 21:16.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#61 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 22:44

View PostSquigPie, on 8 May 2009, 22:16, said:

The world will end when Chuck Norris descides to see what will happen if he roundhouse kicks the ground.

Squigpie this is an area for serious discussion not regurgitated internet memes.

#62 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 23:29

:(

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#63 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:05

View PostSquigPie, on 8 May 2009, 19:29, said:

:(

SquigPie you've already disobeyed a direct order from an admin. Spam has its place in the spammy yummy discussion. If you're going to make a post, please make sure you contribute to the topic. More specifically, expand upon your opinion in this Philosopher's corner.
Posted Image

#64 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:52

Sorry, the smilly post were made late last night, I wrote it just before I went to bed, so I was to tired and stoned to write anything long or intelligent.(and about the Chuck Norris thing...Through Lulz we prevail?)

I believe that whatever way this world is going to end, its not going to be by our hands.

Why?

Well, humanity can be reduced to a simple scenario: A man strangling himself with a wire, forever.

Like the man, we long for selfdestruction, all purpose have long since been forgotten and abandoned.

Every time the man finally suffociates himself he passes out, wakes up a little after and continues his meaningless suicide attempt.

Every time humanity finally f*cks up a couple of million people die and we realise that maybee we should do something about it. When we have fixed the problem, we then start all over with our raping of the world.

Edited by SquigPie, 09 May 2009 - 09:55.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#65 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:36

Seeing how resourceful mankind is, it's probably just a matter of time until we swap the metaphorical wire with a metaphorical noose. Made out of titanium-razor-wire. With poisoned spikes. Knotted to a jet engine with afterburner. Over a pool of Piranhas. While being on fire. In space.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#66 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:18

I didn't know that fire could burn in space...

Good point though :D

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#67 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 09 May 2009 - 14:57

What if the world DOESN'T end though? Sure there are plenty of "what ifs" that could destroy humanity, but typically technology serves to protect us from said what ifs. For example, when mass epidemics break out, we invent vaccines. When nuclear warfare threatens, politics prevails. :D
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#68 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:01

View PostGhostrider, on 9 May 2009, 10:57, said:

What if the world DOESN'T end though? Sure there are plenty of "what ifs" that could destroy humanity, but typically technology serves to protect us from said what ifs. For example, when mass epidemics break out, we invent vaccines. When nuclear warfare threatens, politics prevails. :/

everything that has a beginning has and end Ghost, everything.
Attached Image

#69 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:30

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 10 May 2009, 6:01, said:

What if the world DOESN'T end though? Sure there are plenty of "what ifs" that could destroy humanity, but typically technology serves to protect us from said what ifs. For example, when mass epidemics break out, we invent vaccines. When nuclear warfare threatens, politics prevails. :/

Nope, we think the universe will end in a 'heat death' where everything has the same energy spread out over a vast area of space. See Entropy. The point is there will be planetoids that will not be destroyed.

#70 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:39

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 10 May 2009, 7:01, said:

Even if the whole universe were to suddenly collapse into itself, it would probably just expand again in some Big Bang like it may have done countless times before the universe we are in came to be. The fact it might seem to us like this is "the only Big Bang ever happened" is just because this is the only one we experienced. Just like everything that seems improbable about Evolution Theory has probably failed countless times, be we simply didn't witness those, so it seems all like one giant coincidence.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 18:43

"Time changes everything"

Edited by SquigPie, 10 May 2009 - 18:43.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#72 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 18:44

View PostSquigPie, on 10 May 2009, 14:43, said:

"Time changes everything"

meaning....and why put in quotes if u dont say who said it?
Attached Image

#73 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 20:17

Because I invented the quote.

Its not really hard to figure out is it. Time changes everything. Our mind, the world, the universe, everything!

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#74 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 20:56

Ironically, even time will die sooner or later... ESPECIALLY time.

View PostDauth, on 10 May 2009, 9:30, said:

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 10 May 2009, 6:01, said:

What if the world DOESN'T end though? Sure there are plenty of "what ifs" that could destroy humanity, but typically technology serves to protect us from said what ifs. For example, when mass epidemics break out, we invent vaccines. When nuclear warfare threatens, politics prevails. D:D

Nope, we think the universe will end in a 'heat death' where everything has the same energy spread out over a vast area of space. See Entropy. The point is there will be planetoids that will not be destroyed.

Isn't that close enough to "everything ends"? Having a state in which nothing changes sounds pretty much like The End to me - it's all just a matter of properly defining the zero level.

Edited by Golan, 10 May 2009 - 21:03.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#75 NergiZed

^^^ Pronouced like the battery brand ^^^

• 2992 posts
  • Projects: Shockwave and Rise of the Reds

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:34

View PostGolan, on 9 May 2009, 6:36, said:

Seeing how resourceful mankind is, it's probably just a matter of time until we swap the metaphorical wire with a metaphorical noose. Made out of titanium-razor-wire. With poisoned spikes. Knotted to a jet engine with afterburner. Over a pool of Piranhas. While being on fire. In space.

Yeah, that's quite resourceful, breaking the laws of physics takes a sizable amount of resources.

Ja, I agree with Golan more than I do with SquigPie. While SquigPie has a point, I think mankind will find a way to wipe all of us out at once, whether it be a big anti-matter bomb, or a highly contagious airborne form of ebola, or just us slowly degrading the habitability of earth.

There's a chance that the end will be natural, but the universe works a little too slow. Mankind can do the job much faster, as I've heard that they're quite resourceful.

View PostSquigPie, on 9 May 2009, 5:52, said:

...Through Lulz we prevail?

Yes, while that's true, lulz mostly occur on less 'serious business' places, like SYD. You just need to know where to post the lulz. I just posted a topic about Rainbow Stalin, and I'm A-ok.

Edited by NergiZed, 11 May 2009 - 02:37.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users