Your greatest fears

53 replies to this topic

#51 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 19:36

The Destruction of the human body,

No, not like mutilation, more like mutations, like The Thing. The body horror genre is the scariest kind of horror to me.

Try to read mangas by Junji Ito, especially Uzumaki and the short story The Enigma of Amigara Fault (can be read here: http://brasscockroac...Amigara-0.html)

Something about the impossible way that everything curves and acts, it is so horribly disturbing to imagine your arm beginning prolong and turn into a spiral (something Uzumaki deals alot with. Oooh those horrible spirals!)

Yep, that's about right.

Now what are my fears, hm...

- Self-diagnosed arachnophobia. I especially hate those spiders with long, super-thin legs where the proportions with the rest of the body are waaay off.

- Mild, self-diagnosed pyrophobia. I'm just afraid of uncontrolled fire and the idea of having it around me. This probably started when I was a kid.
I heard a story about some guy whose entire flat burned down because the broken cables of his constantly plugged-in SNES eventually caused a fire.

- Being in huge, empty halls with high ceilings makes me feel uneasy. This is probably related to a
certain nightmare I had when I was still very young. It literally plagued me every other night for weeks.

- Sometimes, I'm extremely - and unnecessarily - afraid of failing at certain tasks.
This was especially true when I was going through my final exams at school.

- Aliens. This must be sounding utterly stupid from someone who adores The War Of The Worlds but whenever I watch these fuzzy, badly lit clips of alleged UFO/alien sightings on YouTube (or alternatively the movie 'Signs'), I have to spend the next few hours doing cheerful things in broad daylight or else I'll be getting nightmares.

Edited by Rayburn, 13 May 2009 - 19:38.

#52 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 19:59

Haha, they even mentioned Junti Ito. Truly, I can never look at anything naturally spiralformed without those...horrible...things popping up in my head!

Another fear of mine is the fear of darkness, something about that wall of unknown things that hit me. The fear of red eyes staring at me from that wall is something which always will be inprinted in my mind...

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#53 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 14:52

Years back, Lil had a deathly fear of syringes, due to childhood experiences that she wouldn't care to bring up, and the fear was so strong that it went so far as encompassing doctors, hospitals, and everything similar. However, a few months back she had a rather traumatic experience that erased all emotion attached to her past.
Now Lilith can't think of a thing that frightens her. She experiences fear differently than most people seem to though - rather than avoiding something that seems to "frighten" her, she is drawn to it, hoping to experience fear again. It's been a while.
this sig is a lie

#54 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 07 July 2009 - 00:25

Don't know why I never posted in here - I certainly meant to.
Most of my fears deal directly or indirectly with the mind. As with you, Lil, I have a strong dislike of needles (which also started when I was a young child - I needed many vaccinations to live in Papua New Guinea, and a tuberculosis shot left me in some pain for a while), though I wouldn't call it a genuine phobia as I can deal with it if I have to, and I don't start actually panicking. My real mental upset, however, comes when I read, see, or hear about graphic descriptions of instances where people have been subjected to intense pain or suffering, and most particularly when I hear about drugs. Any substantial discussion of them affects my mind really very negatively, and I'm not entirely sure why. I'm about ninety percent sure I get a pinched nerve, because I go all light-headed, my vision blacks out, there's a ringing in my ears and I find myself on the floor shortly afterward without having any recollection of falling. Strangely, when I hit the floor I instantly regain full consciousness and feel completely fine, albeit a little weak in a couple of cases. I first became aware of this, rather embarrassingly, during health class, and it's happened at least a couple of times since, though I've become better at avoiding situations like this now and the 'threshold', if you will, seems to have raised slightly.
I think this is because I have an extremely strong objection to anything that removes oneself from being oneself. There is nothing worse in my imagination that losing your consciousness; your thoughts, your memories, your opinions, beliefs, views, control, rationality, intelligence, morals - some might even call it your soul. This is particularly evident when you look at mind-altering substances and is one of the reasons I do not like alcohol. I simply cannot abide by people willingly destroying themselves (and I don't associate that with a good drop of wine, but I do associate it with injecting yourself with heroin) and my mind seems to have fun replicating the results.

Edited by CommanderJB, 07 July 2009 - 00:27.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users