Your Religion

407 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Religion (97 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your Religion / Belief system?

1. Christian - Covers all churches (25 votes [25.51%])

Percentage of vote: 25.51%

2. Muslim (5 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

3. Sikh (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Buddhism (3 votes [3.06%])

Percentage of vote: 3.06%

5. Judaism (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (15 votes [15.31%])

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

7. Agnostic (17 votes [17.35%])

Percentage of vote: 17.35%

8. Atheist (32 votes [32.65%])

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

9. Hinduism. (1 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 18:24

View PostCodeCat, on 15 Aug 2009, 16:03, said:

Not at all. Given no evidence, gods aren't any more likely to exist than a teapot in orbit around Jupiter. But you don't see cults worshipping space teapots. The default assumption without any evidence is that something does not exist. If it weren't like that, I could say right now that there is a leprechaun hiding on the other side of Alpha Centauri and you'd have to believe me. Since that is absurd, so is any other reasoning about the existence of something for which no evidence exists.
Believe? Hell no. Me, I don't believe there is a god, let alone leprechauns in another star system. But that doesn't mean that I rule out the possibility of my believe being false. Hell, I don't have much evidence about the other side of AC, but that doesn't mean that I argue there has to be nothing but The Void.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#402 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 21:14

View PostTurian, on 15 Aug 2009, 18:00, said:

I am curious about that subject so much, if religions are man's ( or woman's ) imagination and created with that way, I wonder who started it and how, we will probably never learn this but if I knew its created by a certain group of people and I see them in front of me, well... bad things gonna happen, very very bad things.

Religion started when one of our forefathers started using psychedelic plants, like mushrooms. Look at hunter-gatherer tribes. Look at the hippies in the '60s doing psychedelics and having divine experiences.

View PostGolan, on 15 Aug 2009, 10:00, said:

Fun fact: the lack of evidence for her existence is a defining point of a truly transcendent God.

During medieval philosophy class we discussed a special school of monks who philosophised about a truly transcendant God. It's very... heavy shit. Blind, yet allseeing, Almighty, yet without power... Godlike, but also nothing...

The shining darkness.
Posted Image

#403 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 22:18

View PostIxonoclast, on 15 Aug 2009, 16:14, said:

View PostTurian, on 15 Aug 2009, 18:00, said:

I am curious about that subject so much, if religions are man's ( or woman's ) imagination and created with that way, I wonder who started it and how, we will probably never learn this but if I knew its created by a certain group of people and I see them in front of me, well... bad things gonna happen, very very bad things.

Religion started when one of our forefathers started using psychedelic plants, like mushrooms. Look at hunter-gatherer tribes. Look at the hippies in the '60s doing psychedelics and having divine experiences.

I can't see this as any form of proof as to how religion began. It might be a false proof of the belief itself, but in order to have such experiences and recognize them as 'divine' would first require that a belief in 'divinity' itself exists.

#404 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:36

View PostBoidy, on 15 Aug 2009, 23:18, said:

View PostIxonoclast, on 15 Aug 2009, 16:14, said:

I can't see this as any form of proof as to how religion began. It might be a false proof of the belief itself, but in order to have such experiences and recognize them as 'divine' would first require that a belief in 'divinity' itself exists.

Yes, thats still no explanation, seeing some kind of weird waves and hallucination stuff can't make you to say : Oh look, I found it, there is a God and spirits, lets worship them that way... I think this can't be explained with psychedelic mushrooms.

#405 E-713 Aegis

• 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 13:25

Egyptian Pagan here. Anubis is my patron. XD
Posted Image

#406 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 19:33

View PostE-713 Aegis, on 16 Aug 2009, 15:25, said:

Egyptian Pagan here. Anubis is my patron. XD

Rly?

Cool.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#407 E-713 Aegis

• 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 00:34

I grab alot of stuff from Wicca and all that, but I worship the old Egyptian Gods.
Posted Image

#408 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:46

View PostE-713 Aegis, on 18 Aug 2009, 2:34, said:

I grab alot of stuff from Wicca and all that, but I worship the old Egyptian Gods.

Sure its not for me to judge you but it would be good to hear from you how come you believe in them, persons who worship old Egyptian Gods are not something we see everyday :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users