Fallout Plotholes.

10 replies to this topic

#1 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:11

With any game universe, you tend to run into plot holes.

The Fallout series is especially no exception, but transferring the game into the hands of another developer seriously exacerbated them.

So lets point them out shall we?

One of the biggest faults I found in Fallout 3 are the exploding nuclear cars. After 200 years of post-apocalyptic warfare and before that a nuclear holocaust, there are still hundreds of these cars which go off with a bang with a few hits. How is that possible? Their reactors are still running after 200 years? And how does a nuclear explosion not detonate most of them but a few bullets blow any of them up?

#2 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:17

Because exploding nuclear cars are awesome.

:D

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 25 April 2009 - 16:45

Some developers find that the cool factor overrides the scientific aspect. If you were to nitpick, a nuke explosion that size should not have a mushroom cloud.
Posted Image

#4 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 25 April 2009 - 17:03

How can you handle a nuclear grenade launcher that doesn't obliterate everything in a few 100 yards area, and also doesn't emit radiation when you carry it :) It's a game 8|
Posted Image

#5 Sicarius

Semi-Pro

• 226 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 17:09

The biggest I can think of is that the game takes place in Washington DC?
In a nuclear war, wouldn't the nation's capital be hit hard? There should be nothing left of the place, yet there are still buildings standing just a few meters from the crater that was the white house.
How powerful are the nukes in Fallout anyway? I haven't seen one shred of information about this anywhere, but judging by the size of the craters that dot the area around fort Bannister they can't be very powerful. Granted I never played fallout 1 and 2, maybe they explain the war better.
It's also amazing to see how much food/ammo/guns/meds were lying around the place, even after a nuclear holocaust and 200 years of foraging. :)

Edited by Sicarius, 25 April 2009 - 17:11.

I've come face to face with myself, man.
Sanctify the early light just like the old man can, boy!
Change the world? You'd better change yourself, man/ boy/ man
Challenge the mind to be more like the rolling ocean, man!

#6 MR.Kim

Insane Solider

• Member Test
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 18:00

Well, this is good explaination how to started fusion car(or Nuclear Car) in 2060 and War between China and United States.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

#7 Flechette?

Veteran

• 488 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 22:04

You can actually visit the White House, it's a smouldering crater full of radiation, so I say it was hit pretty hard. It's not canon with say, FO1/2 since most of those places are rebuilt after the war and look the part, they probably bombarded each other with miniaturized nukes and radiation did the rest.

It's well known fact that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing what what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a brickwall on the path of history.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Many thanks to Comrade KamuiK, is credit to team

#8 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 22:34

View PostSicarius, on 25 Apr 2009, 17:09, said:

The biggest I can think of is that the game takes place in Washington DC?
In a nuclear war, wouldn't the nation's capital be hit hard? There should be nothing left of the place, yet there are still buildings standing just a few meters from the crater that was the white house.
How powerful are the nukes in Fallout anyway? I haven't seen one shred of information about this anywhere, but judging by the size of the craters that dot the area around fort Bannister they can't be very powerful. Granted I never played fallout 1 and 2, maybe they explain the war better.
It's also amazing to see how much food/ammo/guns/meds were lying around the place, even after a nuclear holocaust and 200 years of foraging. :)

Fallout 1+2 were much better.The WAS nothing left of any pre-war buildings that weren't substantially reinforced against a nuclear blast or maintained by survivors. Looking at the world maps you can clearly see craters that could only have been left by MASSIVE bombs. Loot was only found in the settlements of survivors or in secure facilities untouched by them, not lying around in janitor's closets and supermarket shelves.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#9 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:50

The only way to explain it would be I suppose that the West Coast was hit harder than the Capital due to relative proximity to China and that relatively low yield bombs were used, but even then, there are still WOODEN buildings left standing.

Edited by AllStarZ, 26 April 2009 - 02:50.

#10 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:48

Well as someone said, you don't know what's been rebuilt then rehit with something smaller in the meantime.

By your logic there should be nothing left, which doesn't make for a very interesting game :)

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#11 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 19:02

View PostRaiDK, on 26 Apr 2009, 10:48, said:

By your logic there should be nothing left, which doesn't make for a very interesting game :P

Actually, it was probably MORE interesting, the focus being on the rebirth of human civilization and it's falling back on it's old, destructive habits that lead to the war.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users