USA war gear

25 replies to this topic

#1 Massey

<Custom title available>

• 538 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 19:36

first off. hi!

second this is going to be one of VERY FEW post outside of RotR that i will very post. but i think if i posted it in RotR i would have to meet locky :P

that sead! meet the USA furture in war gear:
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns...4.000-3_750.jpg
injoy!

#2 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 20 May 2009 - 20:11

when in the future?
Attached Image

#3 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:44

try about 60+ years at the rate we're going

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dauth edit: Sig removed for height violation.

#4 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:48

Give it an extra twenty years, and...

Posted Image

Don't tell me I was the only one.

Edited by Alias, 21 May 2009 - 05:49.

Posted Image

#5 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:20

Alias took the words right out of my mouth. Ironically enough, that concept already looks like some faceless doom-trooper
from a generic, dystopian sci-fi story. And cognition-enhancing drugs? Yeah, matey, I see what you're trying to do there...

Edited by Rayburn, 21 May 2009 - 06:24.

#6 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:03

Old news is old (at least, I've seen it before)...
Posted Image

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:56

If you look at the article, it's a whopping day old!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2022...te-warrior.html

Posted Image

#8 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:36

I've seen suits like this before. The US are working on this for several years already ;)
Posted Image

#9 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:51

Exoskeletons are nothing new, but this one surely looks more refined and as for the drugs... no thank you.
Posted Image

#10 Revan

The Sneaky Cannon Fodder in the Background

• 2231 posts
  • Projects: Science!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 15:24

Wow... health meters? Combat is really turning into RTS more and more...
Posted Image

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

#11 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:26

Go go US Rangers!

*Does sweet guitar riffs*

#12 ultimentra

Professional

• 358 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:43

"Cognition enhancing Drugs" HAHAH. crack cocaine?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:52

all those drugs do is increase your senses. On those drugs you'd see farther, hear better, and detect previously undetectable smells (some of which could be fatal if you didn't notice any sooner). They don't increase your performance, they just increase your capability to react by allowing the body to detect dangers sooner. The Suit increases your overall performance. Hell, the Starship Troopers power armor (read the book) was strong enough to turn an MBT into pretzel, yet dexterous enough to hold an egg with two fingers without breaking it. that type of technology is real, and in use (look at the equipment used in car manufacturing)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:03

View Posttank50us, on 22 May 2009, 7:52, said:

all those drugs do is increase your senses. On those drugs you'd see farther, hear better, and detect previously undetectable smells (some of which could be fatal if you didn't notice any sooner). They don't increase your performance, they just increase your capability to react by allowing the body to detect dangers sooner. The Suit increases your overall performance. Hell, the Starship Troopers power armor (read the book) was strong enough to turn an MBT into pretzel, yet dexterous enough to hold an egg with two fingers without breaking it. that type of technology is real, and in use (look at the equipment used in car manufacturing)

Excellent book BTW. The biggest problem to power assisted armour is getting this right. Once you have a method of controlling the amount of strength used by the armour you're most of the way there.

#15 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 22 May 2009 - 22:27

You also want to keep those servos small enough that it won't add too much bulk to the soldier.
Posted Image

#16 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:51

View PostScope, on 22 May 2009, 17:27, said:

You also want to keep those servos small enough that it won't add too much bulk to the soldier.

If it's power armor, capable of moving itself, then bulk isn't that big of a problem. You need to make sure that whatever equipment you make for the PAA is light enough for the ARMOR to handle. Besides, I'm sure the first generation PAA will likely look like the Zone Troopers

Posted Image

With a little more research, they will evolve to look like the new Power Armor in the new GI Joe movie, or the Commando from the bunked game "Tiberium"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:01

Ah ok. How far is this in the future btw?
Posted Image

#18 Major Fuckup

The riot act

• Member Test
  • 1681 posts
  • Projects: So like when is my warn level coming down?

Posted 23 May 2009 - 14:12

haha looks like an army stig!

I question the general assumption that i am inherently deficient in the area of grammar and sentence structure

#19 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 20:45

View PostScope, on 23 May 2009, 2:01, said:

Ah ok. How far is this in the future btw?

It's currently planned to be introduced in the 2020's.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 23 May 2009 - 20:57

Lul@: "Digital Buddy"
"Move the reticle above the enemy to place an airstrike" "You can now issue orders to your squad"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 CommanderJB

Grand Admiral, Deimos Fleet, Red Banner

• Fallen Brother
  • 3736 posts
  • Projects: Rise of the Reds beta testing & publicity officer; military technology consultancy; New World Order

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:55

I don't know why I didn't move this before, but consider it done now.
@Topic, while the white armour is ridiculous (expect to see active camouflage layers over new ballistic protection fabrics instead of stark white 'SHOOT ME!' colour schemes), it is somewhat intimidating to see sci-fi emulated, with faceless helmets and high-tech gadgetry protruding everywhere. By far the most concerning element, however, is the drugs; while they might only be for 'your own protection' (/enhancement), is there really any way you could ever tell? Now this may be symptomatic of my general hatred of mind-altering substances, but I don't think a situation like that in Haze is too far off if we start going down that path.
Also, @ Pav3d, I lol'd!

Edited by CommanderJB, 24 May 2009 - 06:18.

"Working together, we can build a world in which the rule of law — not the rule of force — governs relations between states. A world in which leaders respect the rights of their people, and nations seek peace, not destruction or domination. And neither we nor anyone else should live in fear ever again." - Wesley Clark

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:58

View PostCommanderJB, on 23 May 2009, 23:55, said:

@Topic, while the white armour is ridiculous (expect to see active camouflage layers new ballistic protection fabrics instead of stark white 'SHOOT ME!' colour schemes, it is somewhat intimidating to see sci-fi emulated, with faceless helmets and high-tech gadgetry protruding everywhere. By far the most concerning element, however, is the drugs; while they might only be for 'your own protection' (/enhancement), is there really any way you could ever tell? Now this may be symptomatic of my general hatred of mind-altering substances, but I don't think a situation like that in Haze is too far off if we start going down that path.
Also, @ Pav3d, I lol'd!

Good Point. More then likely to increase the awareness of each soldier they'll use the same thing that gives Raptor pilots their picture of the battlefield... Sensor Fusion. Basically, everyone will have real-time uplinks with a shit load of sensors (both planted in the ground, and on the soldiers body), UAVs and UGVs, AWACS/JSTARS, and other combat units in the vicinity. This, combined with Blue-Force Tracking software will give soldiers an unparalleled view of the modern battlefield. They will know where they are, where they're objectives are, where the bad guys are, and more importantly, where your buddies and all civilians are. Add items like Sniper-Detection hardware, adaptive armor, and active camouflage, and you will have an army that will be virtually unstoppable. Granted, all of this is mute if we're still using the M16/M4 series weapons at time. I know the system has a call for specialized weapons, but more then likely those won't get used during initial combat tests, since, as anyone can guess, switching weapons over-night takes time, and ALLOT of money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:32

View PostCommanderJB, on 24 May 2009, 5:55, said:

@Topic, while the white armour is ridiculous (expect to see active camouflage layers over new ballistic protection fabrics instead of stark white 'SHOOT ME!' colour schemes), it is somewhat intimidating to see sci-fi emulated, with faceless helmets and high-tech gadgetry protruding everywhere. By far the most concerning element, however, is the drugs; while they might only be for 'your own protection' (/enhancement), is there really any way you could ever tell? Now this may be symptomatic of my general hatred of mind-altering substances, but I don't think a situation like that in Haze is too far off if we start going down that path.
Also, @ Pav3d, I lol'd!

The problem is the precedence for giving soldiers mind altering substances.

Even in WW1 Tommies were given a shot of rum before going over the top, and IIRC the USAF experimented with giving their pilots go-pills (read amphetamines) but apparently this made them too aggressive.

#24 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:34

I wonder what they'll do for snipers? *hopes to see nanosuit in near future*

#25 tank50us

Professional

• 345 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 15:48

well, in one of my game designs the allies use a special breed of Sniper they call the "Chameleon Sniper", they use a special device that renders them totally invisible to most forms of detection (Dogs, Motion sensors, and sound sensors are the exceptions). They are obviously highly trained, and are meant for top-brass assassination (since on the modern battlefield, if you want to remove you're opponents top brass, the only way to do it is with an Airstrike, and that will have mixed results). They're primary weapon is a modified M107 Sniper Rifle, designed to fire "Venom" rounds. These rounds have tiny barbs in them, which upon contact with living tissue, release a small dose of venom that is more potent then that of a south-sea cone shell. In a sense, you'll be dead before your body hits the ground. And don't worry, one can handle it bare handed since for the barbs to become active, they need to be heated up to temperatures in excess of 350 degrees F (being shot out of the weapon, plus the friction of it moving so fast through the air easily get it to that temp.). Obviously, you don't want to piss these guys off, since, as I said, that round just needs to barely nick you, and you'll be dead in mere seconds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users