prepare to be blinded...

47 replies to this topic

#1 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 20:00

asdf

Edited by Guy Mannly, 27 July 2012 - 00:37.

this sig is a lie

#2 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 20:50

A Kings of Leon fan eh.
I believe I have seen them twice now.
You're better than you give yourself credit for. Definately.
Posted Image

#3 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 15 June 2009 - 20:53

If you mean blinded by talent I'm sure you're right. That is some good stuff Lil. I wish I could draw a quarter of how well you do.
Posted Image

#4 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:15

Haha, thanks, you two~
Lil actually kind of gave up drawing a while back, for poetry and music.. she draws occasionally but her standards have surpassed her actual ability so now it's just frustrating ><
Oh, and - Lil's surprised someone got that reference in the last drawing. For a while, Kings of Leon was her favorite band, and that song seemed to apply perfectly to the situation between herself and a boy she used to be friends with. She almost saw Kings of Leon a month or two ago but her parents wouldn't let her because nobody would go with her. Dx

Edited by Lil, 15 June 2009 - 21:16.

this sig is a lie

#5 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:31

Very well done there Lil :) .. I liked the ones with no colors, I'm really a fan of that kind of drawing, though I'm not so good at it |8 ..

Oh Btw, I think you should keep on drawing, because well you have talent...
Posted Image

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:33

Referring to yourself in the third person? Is it because you don't hold much faith in yourself, regardless if your talents are far better than you let on? Or perhaps you like to do this and it's become a part of you. Makes no matter either way, as it seems we poets and "artsy-fartsy" folk have little quirks of our own that make us even more unique.

My favourite piece that you've done is the heart trapped in chains with angel wings. A pad lock waiting for one who possesses the key, or perhaps its owner to unleash it from its iron-linked bonds. A piece of art that speaks to me in ways word simply can not (for they fail to encompass what feelings fail to speak about).

Your art depicts someone with deep thoughts and even deeper ties to one's emotions. You also seek to make references in your artwork. The "42" in your last piece, perhaps a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The starry-eyed face opposite is the one you're looking for (or perhaps dreaming of). The little "n" and "s" reference, perhaps to the polar directions north and south (opposites attract).

I have read your poetry. Most are short, but they bear with them an emotional outburst that belies their length. The poet who penned them (or rather in this case, typed them into existence) digs from deep within and writes with an effortless pose.

I leave you with a few choice words for consideration: Never doubt yourself. (for in doubting yourself you deny the gift you have beating withing you)
Posted Image

#7 Dr. Knickers

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 506 posts
  • Projects: CnC 3: ConRed, CORE

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:34

Pretty sweet drawings! I especially the picture of the heart wrapped in chains :)
Posted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:34

To be dead blunt with you, it's average.

I mean, it's nice enough to look at without having to cringe.
You're good with fabric creases, though. Kudos on that.

Posted Image

#9 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:51

View PostWarboss Nooka, on 15 Jun 2009, 22:33, said:

Referring to yourself in the third person? Is it because you don't hold much faith in yourself, regardless if your talents are far better than you let on? Or perhaps you like to do this and it's become a part of you. Makes no matter either way, as it seems we poets and "artsy-fartsy" folk have little quirks of our own that make us even more unique.

My favourite piece that you've done is the heart trapped in chains with angel wings. A pad lock waiting for one who possesses the key, or perhaps its owner to unleash it from its iron-linked bonds. A piece of art that speaks to me in ways word simply can not (for they fail to encompass what feelings fail to speak about).

Your art depicts someone with deep thoughts and even deeper ties to one's emotions. You also seek to make references in your artwork. The "42" in your last piece, perhaps a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The starry-eyed face opposite is the one you're looking for (or perhaps dreaming of). The little "n" and "s" reference, perhaps to the polar directions north and south (opposites attract).

I have read your poetry. Most are short, but they bear with them an emotional outburst that belies their length. The poet who penned them (or rather in this case, typed them into existence) digs from deep within and writes with an effortless pose.

I leave you with a few choice words for consideration: Never doubt yourself. (for in doubting yourself you deny the gift you have beating withing you)

Thank you very much for your comment. [: You were correct on the hitchhiker's guide reference, though in that drawing, the unshaded face represents the person Lil was interested in, while the person on the right represented Lil herself, amongst other females. If you really want to know - Lil was madly "in love" with him, and had done things with him like kissing, but apparently Lil wasn't the only one he did these things with. |: Being naive, she just kind of assumed it would evolve into a romantic relationship [it didn't; we don't talk anymore]. You were also correct on the 'n' and 's', anyway.
Lil's poetry is intended to be bilayered - there's an innocent message represented, with an underlying and usually dark tale to it.
Finally, Lil does not speak in third person to belittle herself. She sees no one as "better" or "worse" as another person. Everyone has pure intentions; it's just a failure of sense or education which gets in their way. If anything, she speaks this way to be unique and to have some way to be remembered - forgive her for her foolish reason for third person.
this sig is a lie

#10 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 21:54

There is nothing to forgive, for you can communicate however you see fit. I too am a self-proclaimed poet. If you would like to read them, please feel free. Like you I seek an outlet from which I can release inner turmoil and poetry has become my art form of choice (because words are so easily manipulated).
Posted Image

#11 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:39

View PostWarboss Nooka, on 15 Jun 2009, 22:54, said:

There is nothing to forgive, for you can communicate however you see fit. I too am a self-proclaimed poet. If you would like to read them, please feel free. Like you I seek an outlet from which I can release inner turmoil and poetry has become my art form of choice (because words are so easily manipulated).

On an additional note regarding communication, you should try to understand Nooka when he's in Ork mode :)

With regards to the art, it's an interesting set, very interesting. Like your poetry, there are some pieces that conform to natural art, whereas other pieces are more emotive and expressive without being something most people would try (eg your last image with the multiple hidden metaphors and ofc, the wondrous 42 |8)

What this all primarily shows, however, is that you're an expressive person, and you have multiple styles. If you took the time to finesse one or more types of art as you have shown here (particularly your colourless sketches), they could really be quite something. Frankly, I wish I'd got here before Nooka as he's nicked everything that I would have said! 8| Something that has not been mentioned so far, however, is how well you draw hands, which are one of the most difficult things to draw, and yet you do them almost flawlessly, especially on your Blue/Green Girl.
For there can be no death without life.

#12 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:09

some pretty amazing hand drawings. i for one hav no idea what they are refferering to, if its a game or a tvshow or somethn. but they look very good. 2nd one is mah fave
Attached Image

#13 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:51

View PostWNxMastrefubu, on 16 Jun 2009, 1:09, said:

some pretty amazing hand drawings. i for one hav no idea what they are refferering to, if its a game or a tvshow or somethn. but they look very good. 2nd one is mah fave

they generally aren't referring to anything else, except the one of the girl with green/black pants - those are UFO pants, or were intended to be - and the last one. 'You know that I could use somebody' are the lyrics to a song that Lily happens to adore; Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. '42' is a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide.
this sig is a lie

#14 Pandut

Abdomen and some dried fish.

• Project Team
  • 1261 posts
  • Projects: Frontlines and European Conflict

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:09

The heart with the chain and pad lock is really cool :)
Formerly Sobek

#15 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 17:07

View PostAlias, on 15 Jun 2009, 21:34, said:

To be dead blunt with you, it's average.

I mean, it's nice enough to look at without having to cringe.
You're good with fabric creases, though. Kudos on that.

sadly, i'll have to agree.

the drawings aren't very good in particular although at a glance i firmly believe you should be capable of evolving into a more proficient artists quite easily.

the good 'ol advice: keep drawing, don't stop.

Never doubt yourself. (for in doubting yourself you deny the gift you have beating withing you)

although it sounds nice and all, it's not necessarily true. self-doubt usually keeps you from following that straight golden path that leads to nowhere. it definitely forces you to look other ways, try new techniques, new materials and so forth.

if i had never doubted myself i'd be probably still drawing the same mindless crap i used to draw a few years ago.

thus is why i insist: please, doubt yourself as much as possible, you will only improve upon it.
it's time to wake up

#16 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:05

Lil felt the need to update this thread with her most recent WIP; her D&D character, an Eladrin warlord named Lilith. :P
Posted Image

Edited by Lil, 03 July 2009 - 11:05.

this sig is a lie

#17 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 20:32

Not as proportioned as your previous sketches, and if this is the piece you're worried about colouring, don't. Colour would actually do this piece some good. It would highlight the areas you decide, and give your sketch some life and vibrance.
Posted Image

#18 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 17:26

asdf

Edited by NOPE, 27 July 2012 - 00:38.

this sig is a lie

#19 WNxMastrefubu

Man, myth, and legend

• 1136 posts
  • Projects: diji

Posted 07 July 2009 - 17:35

looks much better, great job on the hair and face.

Edited by WNxMastrefubu, 07 July 2009 - 17:36.

Attached Image

#20 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 17:36

Colour adds a great deal to your sketch Lil. In fact, the addition of colour gives it another dimension. If I may state this opinion, your elf looks like a proper cartoon.
Posted Image

#21 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 20:41

View PostWarboss Nooka, on 7 Jul 2009, 17:36, said:

Colour adds a great deal to your sketch Lil. In fact, the addition of colour gives it another dimension. If I may state this opinion, your elf looks like a proper cartoon.

Thank you. [:
Personally I'm rather proud of the shading on her erm..
upper body.
this sig is a lie

#22 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:55

asdf

Edited by NOPE, 27 July 2012 - 00:38.

this sig is a lie

#23 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:48

View PostLil, on 15 Jun 2009, 21:00, said:

She hates her art, as she's extremely critical of everything she does

Thats a good thing, boasting will get someone to nowhere, but criticism on him/herself and working for correcting the errors will make someone better ! All of the great artists I know of my time ( talking about digital concept designers ) never boasting with their great work and show humility.

As for your work, you know how to draw but you too know it is not enough, but that doesn't means you can't be better since you are drawing more than a stickman, thats what most people even can't do, as I see; you have the talent to improve yourself, which is a good thing if you love drawing 8|

#24 NOPE

Amateur

• 147 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:17

added a new drawing..
i've been working on it for the past 7 hours or so.. i don't have a tablet though, so I drew it with a mouse on gimp :V
so yeah it sucks but w/e.. that's probably due to the fact that i drew it in such a low resolution <<
this sig is a lie

#25 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 14:09

If you can do what you just posted as your latest with a mouse, I can't imagine what you're capable of with a Wacom tablet. You believe it "sucks", but the opposite is true, for though the "X" is rather simple, the effect is much deeper and the two subjects present aren't bad at all. I'd say it's another job well done.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users